Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do your front intake shutters (louvers) actuate (close) ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Tweet thing, it's that they don't close. (Maybe not relevent to thread beyond being vent related).
From that narrative, it seems like the system can detect air temp (indirectly? ), but not the physical vent position.
I would think that if I covered the front vent it would serve a dual purpose. IE: keep cold air from entering where the radiator is and also keep the 'firewall' of the car warmer, thus keeping the whole car warmer. ??? maybe ???

I would think that if I covered the front vent it would serve a dual purpose. IE: keep cold air from entering where the radiator is and also keep the 'firewall' of the car warmer, thus keeping the whole car warmer. ??? maybe ???
For a heat pump equipped vehicle, that outside air heats the radiator (which heats the evaporator) most of the time (unless super cold or defrosting). So blocking it would likely worsen things (versus a diesel semi).
As to the firewall, the frunk tub blocks at least some airflow and there may be ducting to divert it also.

For a heat pump equipped vehicle, that outside air heats the radiator (which heats the evaporator) most of the time (unless super cold or defrosting). So blocking it would likely worsen things (versus a diesel semi).
As to the firewall, the frunk tub blocks at least some airflow and there may be ducting to divert it also.
Oh, you’re probably right I better not mess with it…

i had my new MY checked out just for this issue, when I took it in for Garage opener install. Was told they are operating normally.
I had my M3 shutters replaced two summers ago when they froze shut due to extreme heat in Arizona. So I was curious when I saw them never close. Anyway, I have seen them once go from close to open position. It may have just cycled for all I know. Maybe the heat pump makes the system work differently, which means they stay open mostly. Although why would it not close after A long period of stationery condition.

I am also noticing low frequency (possibly pressure differential) while driving. Maybe more pronounced with AC off.
Wondering, is it possible with the shutters open, there is some ram air producing the positive pressure differential !
For sure there is low hum noise that I am not used to compared to having a M3. That fact that there is hatch, may explain the sound propagation. There is more motor noise in the Model 3 if you have the back seats down.

Reactions: Stach