Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do your lug nut covers stay on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 21" grey turbines and was given the black plastic lug nut covers

I've removed them all on day one as I feel they are extremely flimsy and may come off while I'm in the road.

Now I'm wondering if my worries are warranted? How's everybody experience here been?

Thanks

Not sure why you think there’s a problem. My X came with the chrome ones and they’ve been on for over a year. I use the Tesla plastic tool to remove them to check torque levels, push them back on, and never had an issue.

Only problem I could see if you used the wrong tool to remove them and damaged them, that could make them ‘loose’?

Have put over 100k miles between two S' with 21" wheels and never had one plastic lug nut cover come off. So your worries are unfounded. (this includes using the high pressure touchless car washes 1-3 times a week that blast the heck out of them as well)

I've lost two in 55K miles, one when new and one after tires were replaced. Service center "found" one laying around both times, but that was under warranty. I think they come in a set of 4 and aren't too expensive, so I guess I can handle it if I lose more. I check them whenever I check tire pressures or wash the car and have only once had one that moved a bit when I pushed on it.

I've lost two in 55K miles, one when new and one after tires were replaced. Service center "found" one laying around both times, but that was under warranty. I think they come in a set of 4 and aren't too expensive, so I guess I can handle it if I lose more. I check them whenever I check tire pressures or wash the car and have only once had one that moved a bit when I pushed on it.
Hope that's set of five? :D

If you recall Rich Rebuilds/Car Guru trying to order them when he didn't 'own' a Tesla, it was a pretty hilarious video. One more example 'sorry, sir, you aren't cleared for that information....'.

Not sure why you think there’s a problem. My X came with the chrome ones and they’ve been on for over a year. I use the Tesla plastic tool to remove them to check torque levels, push them back on, and never had an issue.

Only problem I could see if you used the wrong tool to remove them and damaged them, that could make them ‘loose’?
Tesla doesn't sell the Lug Nut Cap Remover tool on the website anymore, and tracking one down in my experience was a huge inconvenience. FYI in case anyone wants one, the part number is 1117845-00-A.

Hope that's set of five? :D

If you recall Rich Rebuilds/Car Guru trying to order them when he didn't 'own' a Tesla, it was a pretty hilarious video. One more example 'sorry, sir, you aren't cleared for that information....'.
Yeah, I guess I'm remembering buying chrome lug nuts in the past which usually came in sets of 4. Works if you need 20, and works if you need 16.

Actually, I think the Tesla ones come in sets of 20 for about $10. Probably why they can always find some laying around.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Yeah, I guess I'm remembering buying chrome lug nuts in the past which usually came in sets of 4. Works if you need 20, and works if you need 16.

Actually, I think the Tesla ones come in sets of 20 for about $10. Probably why they can always find some laying around.
Maybe you're thinking of the locks? Which would be one for each wheel?

And seems weird the tool isn't there any longer as they want you to purchase wheels that the overloaded SC's then can't handle because of the service backlog. So you are supposed to use some 'amateur' method (works well or not) of removing the caps. Sigh....

And, ten seconds googling found this (probably the same one) at Amazon: http://a.co/d/4soF0Ql
For less than Tesla sold it for :D
Non-affiliate link....

Maybe you're thinking of the locks? Which would be one for each wheel?

And seems weird the tool isn't there any longer as they want you to purchase wheels that the overloaded SC's then can't handle because of the service backlog. So you are supposed to use some 'amateur' method (works well or not) of removing the caps. Sigh....

And, ten seconds googling found this (probably the same one) at Amazon: http://a.co/d/4soF0Ql
For less than Tesla sold it for :D
Non-affiliate link....
I didn't even know there WAS a tool. I use fingers. Do they get stuck sometimes? Mine just come off easily.

I have the 21" grey turbines and was given the black plastic lug nut covers

I've removed them all on day one as I feel they are extremely flimsy and may come off while I'm in the road.

Now I'm wondering if my worries are warranted? How's everybody experience here been?

Thanks

Lug Nuts and Caps are 99 cents each at your service center. If your nice enough, they don't charge you for them. Be nice, you'd be surprised what comes your way.

I didn't even know there WAS a tool. I use fingers. Do they get stuck sometimes? Mine just come off easily.
It may (?) depend on the wheels. On my wheels (default X basic ones) I think the caps are pretty far in there. But I’ve not looked closely at the other many wheel styles. When I remove mine to retorque them after an inspection, etc. I do feel like I’d hate to do it by hand. But again YMMV.

Another question is do they not have the Grey center caps and covers anymore?
I asked for a set and they gave me black center caps and black lug nut covers. Was thinking of stopping by another SC to see if they have the correct color, unless it doesn't exist anymore

Tesla doesn't sell the Lug Nut Cap Remover tool on the website anymore, and tracking one down in my experience was a huge inconvenience. FYI in case anyone wants one, the part number is 1117845-00-A.
Pretty much any car-type lug nut cap remover tool ought to work; I would guess that most auto parts stores have them, although I haven't checked. I got this one for $2.97 from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJDJJ7X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It took several weeks to arrive since it was shipped from overseas but there are others that can be had quickly. Works fine.

Pretty much any car-type lug nut cap remover tool ought to work; I would guess that most auto parts stores have them, although I haven't checked. I got this one for $2.97 from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJDJJ7X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It took several weeks to arrive since it was shipped from overseas but there are others that can be had quickly. Works fine.
Not sure where that one was from. The Amazon one whose link I posted was available with Prime shipping :D

Necessity being the mother of invention...

I needed to change over to my winter tires last week and did not have the tool to get the lug covers off. They are pretty deep in the wheel on the classic 5 spoke wheels, and not much clearance around the cap. I was ready to give up, when I noticed one of the paint can openers they give away in Home Depot laying on the work bench - and it clicked. I have dozens around the garage, so using two of them like chopsticks, I slipped the hooked end of them under the lip on opposite sides of the cover, pulled, and the caps just slid right off. Not quite as elegant as a purpose made tool, but they worked!

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Necessity being the mother of invention...

I needed to change over to my winter tires last week and did not have the tool to get the lug covers off. They are pretty deep in the wheel on the classic 5 spoke wheels, and not much clearance around the cap. I was ready to give up, when I noticed one of the paint can openers they give away in Home Depot laying on the work bench - and it clicked. I have dozens around the garage, so using two of them like chopsticks, I slipped the hooked end of them under the lip on opposite sides of the cover, pulled, and the caps just slid right off. Not quite as elegant as a purpose made tool, but they worked!

Yes, last weekend was the first weekend with Arachnids on my car. I to was wondering since the puller tool is not available, so being in the coatings business, my workbench has those openers around. I used one and with two tries around the perimeter, they slip right off. Not perfect, but another item I will be carrying in my war chest for flat tires/tire removal in the car. Using two like chopsticks is probably better.

Not sure where that one was from. The Amazon one whose link I posted was available with Prime shipping :D
Yes. I went for the cheaper one because I wasn't in a hurry. Tesla hadn't shipped my new lug nuts and caps yet. (They are way easier to use than the old-style acorn lug nuts.) The cap removal tool joined the rest of my tire changing kit in my lower trunk.