Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do your parking lights ever come on when the car is parked and locked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed this a few times (could be happening a lot when I'm not looking). All of a sudden, the parking lights (tail lights, side markers, and front parking lights) come on and either stay on or blink off, maybe blink again, go off. No pattern seen yet. This happens whether its plugged in or not. I unlock the car and check the display to see that it says:"Headlights On". The switch is physically not on. I cycle the switch manually to Parking, Full, them back to Off. This does not clear the problem. When I use the OVMS app on my phone to Wake the car, the lights go out if they are still on. The only other data I have is that when I purchased the car used in Oct, I had the dealer install the headlight upgrade.

Any ideas? The Austin service center will open soon. They will be installing the Sound reduction kit. I'll have them look around then.
michael

Nope. Maybe a defective switch?

Well, the switch is the first logical place to question, but in all my days, I've never known a mechanical switch to work 99% of the time and then short out on its own with no movement for a minute or two.
Is there another way the lights can turn on besides by the switch?
Is there any scenario where the computer would do this to signal some event or condition?

Anybody?

michael

My switch became defective and I would come out to find my parking lights on (all night long), yes. They replaced the switch and all was well.
It keeps the car "on" if it triggers after you've shut the car off, so you'll drain the battery both from the lights and the coolant pump etc etc all running 24x7.

dhrivnak: thanks for reminding me about the lock button. That clearly indicates the computer has the ability to switch the lights on. However, I've only ever seen the lights come on when the car was locked and the keys were hanging up in the house over 50 ft from the car. Also, my car also sounds the horn if I push the lock button when the car is already locked. I have not ever heard the horn when the lights came on, so I don't think the "lock" function is getting activated.
cinergi: It rarely stays on for very long, but maybe it is the switch. I'll have them check that when they service the car. thanks for that data

mcihael

"Also, my car also sounds the horn if I push the lock button when the car is already locked. I have not ever heard the horn when the lights came on, so I don't think the "lock" function is getting activated."

The horn will sound when hitting lock button if car is already locked...... So, that is normal
If your key fob does anything t o the car over 50 feet away........ that's a miracle!