Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodge Circuit EV (Lotus Europa conversion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While Tesla is happy to work on an electric Smart, I really doubt they want to help someone who wants to build a direct competitor that could undercut them on price.

Let us not forget what Tesla's originally bantered about sub $70,000 sticker price when it was under the tutelage of Eberhard and being produced with a fiberglass skin instead of the carbon fiber one ushered in by Musk...so would it be considered "undercutting", or merely getting back to the original plan (price-wise anyway)?

As for a Tesla-Chrysler merger...I'm not seeing it as Chrysler was previously backed/a subsidiary of Diamler-Benz who are the automakers behind the SMART and it's potentially full electric future models, not to mention that Elon Musk appears to have something of an attitude problem (if I may say non-judging-ly) and likely would have balked at mention of anything but a mutual partnership, at least in Chrysler's ENVI program.

It is to this end that I feel that Chrysler went back to it's parent company to come up with the Dodge EV's power train when Tesla didn't take them up on their offer and chose the Lotus platform as a snub to Tesla for backing out of whatever talks that Chrysler may have initiated which, IMHO, is unfortunate for both automakers as each could have benefitted from such a partnering.

Last edited:
Electric car's perfomance is determined by the weakest among the three:
- batteries
- inverter/controler
- motor

200kW motor means nothing if you batteries arent capable of delivering such a power - cca 700A at 300V. Inverter must also be capable of routing that power with minimal heat build up. Only 10Ohm resistance in its electronics would mean some 50kW of heating.

And this still means 80% efficiency :biggrin:

Looks like they're doing some body work to try to make it look like a Dodge.

Spy Shots: 2010 Dodge EV out testing already - AutoblogGreen

Spy Shots: Dodge EV caught late-night testing - Autoblog

2010 Dodge EV: prototype spied with ‘true’ Dodge face

phpThumb.php

phpThumb.php

Last edited:
Chrysler knows it is screwed if it doesn't produce an EV (after the bailout [loan] hearings). Also, it's Envi division has shown nothing to date. It looks to me a little like their Zeo concept; maybe the color.

I'll bet we get a preview at Detroit, 2009, of perhaps the production version. Chrysler is likely to call it that if they have the body finalized.

Chrysler knows it is screwed if it doesn't produce an EV (after the bailout [loan] hearings). Also, it's Envi division has shown nothing to date. It looks to me a little like their Zeo concept; maybe the color.

I'll bet we get a preview at Detroit, 2009, of perhaps the production version. Chrysler is likely to call it that if they have the body finalized.

Actually, Chrysler/ENVI unveiled two other EV's along with the "Dodge EV":

innovation-envi.jpg

More info from C&D

2011 Dodge Electric Vehicle - Spied/Green Machines/Car Shopping/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

dodev_ren_woodward_11_1_gallery_image_large.jpg

We’re intrigued—and somewhat perplexed—that Chrysler would continue developing what would likely be a low-volume vehicle. With Tesla asking nearly $100k for its Roadster, though, Chrysler may be able to leverage its relatively large size to undercut that price while still adhering to the same basic formula as Tesla in building such a vehicle—Lotus building the shell and Chrysler supplying the powertrain guts. The concept version used a 268-hp electric motor fed by lithium-ion batteries from an unknown supplier, and boasted 480 lb-ft of torque. Chrysler claims a 0–60 time of "under five seconds" for the concept.

It remains to be seen if the American car-buying public is even interested in an electric sports car such as this, and indeed whether Chrysler can survive long enough to produce any of its proposed electric vehicles.

I like it better in this color scheme and body styling, though the addition of the atypical nose configuration reminiscent of the Mopar heritage does impart a certain degree of aggressiveness and brand validation.

Envi_Dodge.jpg

The Dodge EV is a two-passenger rear-wheel drive sports car that offers high performance and zero emissions. The Dodge EV has three primary components: a 200 kW (268 horsepower) electric motor, an advanced lithium-ion battery and an integrated power controller.
The 200 kW electric-drive motor produces 480 lb.-ft. of torque, accelerating the vehicle from zero to 60 mph in less than five seconds, with a top speed of more than 120 mph.
The Dodge EV has a range of 150 miles between recharges – more than tripe the average daily commute. To recharge the vehicle, simply plug it into a standard 110-volt household outlet. Or the recharge time can be cut in half by using a typical 220-volt household appliance power outlet.

I'm waiting for the showdown between Tesla and Dodge:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/2008/11/tesla-roadster-versus-chryslers-dodge-ev-concept-plenty-to-like-about-both.html/

Finally, a "good" writeup.

Last edited:
I'm wonder what kind of price they'll be selling it at. Normal europa is ~$60k so it'll have to be higher. I'm guessing something like
$80k+ if you include all the batteries, controllers, and motors and such.

I guess they'll be able to find some customers at that price point. Can't see it being too much higher b/c the viper is $90k and the viper is the top of the line for them.

This is kinda old, but sensationalistic headline aside, he said the following:
Darryl Siry, Tesla's VP of Global Sales, Marketing And Service responded to a question today about the Dodge EV, revealed last month, by saying "I think what it is its something for showcasing. More of a public relations thing to support their application for their share of a 25 billion loan guarantee."
Which I am in complete agreement. That said, I'd like to see the Dodge EV come to market. More competition is better for the consumer.

Which begs the question: Why did DDB (who authored the thread you refer to) make a statement about Chrysler "not showing anything" to the public, thereby sparking a response from me, does it not?!

I can field this one. IMO, these are concepts. These are not production intent EVs. Supposedly Envi has been around for over two years (Detroit, 2006 I think), and we have seen no announcements of production-intent vehicles. That is why I say we haven't seen anything. Just some bad language of mine...move on...