Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodge Circuit EV (Lotus Europa conversion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See also here and here.
I have been asking for them to update their tech specs to no avail.
They seem hesitant to say much about power and torque these days.

The chart on their Motor Torque & Power Curve page of their web site still seems to show drivetrain 1.0 specs.

(note the red torque line never gets above about 200 in the old chart, yet they say DT1.5 actually now does 276 ft/lb on this page.)
torquegraph_v2.gif

And fails to point out that you can get a Tesla now.

Waiting list? Lets' see. they are now about on car #400-450. Twenty cars a month, 1,200 on order...

The Lotus with the Dodge front end is where? "release dates yet to be determined"

Dodge Circuit review - Telegraph

THE FACTS
Price/availability: £55,000 (estimated). On sale 2011
Tested: 200kW two-phase electric engine with a single speed. Rear wheel drive
Power/torque: 268bhp @ 7,500rpm/N/A
Top speed: 120mph
Acceleration: 0-62mph in 4.8sec
Fuel economy (range): Up to 200 miles
CO2 emissions: None
VED band: N/A
The verdict: Zero tailpipe emissions, strong performance and proper sports car handling outweigh the cramped cockpit, exaggerated road and wind noise and relatively short range
Alternative: Tesla Roadster, from £94,000.

REPORT: Dodge Circuit DOA? Not according to Chrysler - ABG

Chrysler spokesman Nick Cappa told ABG that in spite of the current bankruptcy filing "there has been no change to the product plan." Chrylser ENVI president Lou Rhodes remains "jazzed" about the EV development program.

Rhodes told us in a recent interview that there are five Circuit prototypes running in the US with more in Europe, which points to that being the first car. While Cappa wouldn't absolutely confirm the status of the Circuit he did reiterate that EVs were coming starting next year and further announcements were pending.

I could finally read the legend on the left gauge in that latest video. It is ft-lbs (including negative for regen) so it isn't RPMs, and is more akin to the kW gauge coming in the 2010 roadsters.

The Chrysler rep in the passenger seat said related to the Tesla battery, "unfortunately Tesla still has the cyclindricals" and he said Chrysler is using the prismatic battery.

What he doesn't say is the reason Tesla uses that battery. Those batteries have a much high amp discharge rating and that permits the faster acceleration.

That is why the Dodge Circuit only does 0-60 in 5 seconds and the Roadster can do it in 3.9 seconds.

Is that really true? I thought those A123s had plenty of power density. It is their energy density that isn't supposed to be as good as the LiMnO2s that Tesla uses so it would be harder to get the full range of a Tesla. Also there is a question of cost (commodity laptop batteries vs low volume production auto specific batteries).

I am guessing the lower performance is due to:
#1: Less sophisticated motor and controller. (I bet the Roadster has a better torque "curve").
#2: More weight (e.g.: Fiberglass body instead of carbon fiber, etc.)