TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Dodge Demon 1/4mi 9.6 @ 140 - 0-60 2.3sec

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by bcampbelllds, Apr 11, 2017.

1. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Impressive but why should he respond? The "Demon" is a barely street legal car that will be limited in it's production while anyone can go out and buy a P100DL today and get a full size sedan...

It's not that I don't see the market for the Demon or that I don't think Elon will try to crank out something to beat it, I just think at some point you have to say "why"? Or perhaps look at it from a different angle...

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this?

Jeff

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. callmesam

callmesam Member

P100D was never the fastest. It was the quickest to 60. And still is.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

I just read about the Demon and those performance numbers might be on racing fuel and non-street legal tires. The article mentions it can run pump gas or race fuel and some of the pictures have the Demon with skinny front tires.
    It is also for sale with the only seat being the driver's.

I don't think Tesla should chase the "quickest" distinction, kind of a fun novelty though.

If the Demon needs illegal tires and fuel, and has only one seat, to do 2.3 on a public road....then I think their claims are not legit in terms of a, "production car."

• Like x 4
  5. mdevp

mdevp Member

No way that's on street legal tires

• Like x 2
  6. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

That is truly impressive if true. I had somebody tell me the other day that a Hellcat did it in 7.6.
    I told him to check his numbers!

:eek:

This will just egg Elon on and I say go for it!

0-60 in zero seconds! 1/4 in 10 milliseconds! Bring it on! Oh...that's HyperLoop.:) Next stop...Warp Drive.

If anybody can do it, Elon and Tesla can.

• Funny x 2
  8. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

This is fun! I'm sure Elon won't be able to resist the challenge.

For the record, the Demon is screaming fast in the quarter mile but it may not be faster than the Model S P100D in 0-60 (reported 2.3 Demon v. 2.28 Model S in Motor Trend test). And before people start whining that the Motor Trend test wasn't fair because they used a car with essentially no options and Arachnid wheels, please keep in mind:

"To save weight, Dodge removed the front passenger seat and the rear seat. Customers can still buy them as options — for $1 each." lol​

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2017/04/11/whoa-dodge-demon-get-840-horsepower/100206660/

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. nagypite

nagypite Member

FCA US LLC today reported U.S. sales of 192,519 units, a 10 percent decrease compared with sales in December 2015 (213,923 units).

• Informative x 2
  10. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

Dodge's website clearly states it's the fastest 0-60 and fastest production car and ignores MT time of 2.27xxxx. Let the name calling between the two continue. It's also the first production car to wheelie. Where is the video?

Tesla likes to label the flagship P100D as the fastest accelerating but the Demon under hard acceleration pulls 1.8G. Headaches galore! I do wonder if those tires are all 50 state legal and if higher octane fuel was used to run a 9.6 1/4. Anytime you're in the mid 10's is a super car. A mid 9 sec car is unthinkable. Price is probably low six figures.

• Funny x 1
  11. McRat

McRat Active Member

DOT drag radials are your RWD's best friend. Street legal.

• Informative x 1
  12. Mirlen

Mirlen Member

I don't see MPG ratings...

• Like x 2
  13. McRat

McRat Active Member

With cars like that, it falls under the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" laws.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  14. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Oh great, another knuckle dragging Neanderthal mobile stinking up the streets

• Disagree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  15. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

P100D is pretty fast 0-60 and will get you there in 2.28 seconds or so, as long as you have an hour to warm up for ludicrous first.

• Like x 2
  16. McRat

McRat Active Member

Not to dash anybody's hopes, but I have a hunch that you'll need a NHRA Super Gas license (check), firesuit and SNELL SA helmet (check), have the car caged and NHRA certified, fire system, and run a chute (ugh, talk about ruining your resale value).

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think an automaker would plate a 9 second drag car and make emissions.

It would not be the quickest thing I've raced, but it would be the quickest thing that's actually 100% street legal.

• Like x 2
  17. beegee

beegee Member

The next Roadster is supposed to be quicker than the S with "Maximum Plaid". I don't think Tesla is going to push the S any quicker.

18. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

I watched some of this video and it feels like Dodge is appealing to the 20 somethings with all the pyrotechnics. If you like CG and fire you'll love it. Seems like a lot of $$ spent on a intro. Tesla's customers are on the other side of this spectrum.

Home

19. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

You're 100% correct. You can't just leave work, home, or the coffee shop with 6 passengers and drive it to the strip. Drop your peeps off near the stands to watch you demolish just about anything in your wake. This car will take "some" prep time before you let it loose, but that is who Dodge is catering to.

• Funny x 1
  20. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

Let's not get lost in fanboyism. That Demon is freaking awesome.

• Like x 8