Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodge Demon 1/4mi 9.6 @ 140 - 0-60 2.3sec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Impressive but why should he respond? The "Demon" is a barely street legal car that will be limited in it's production while anyone can go out and buy a P100DL today and get a full size sedan...

It's not that I don't see the market for the Demon or that I don't think Elon will try to crank out something to beat it, I just think at some point you have to say "why"? Or perhaps look at it from a different angle...

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this?

Jeff

I just read about the Demon and those performance numbers might be on racing fuel and non-street legal tires. The article mentions it can run pump gas or race fuel and some of the pictures have the Demon with skinny front tires.
It is also for sale with the only seat being the driver's.

I don't think Tesla should chase the "quickest" distinction, kind of a fun novelty though.

If the Demon needs illegal tires and fuel, and has only one seat, to do 2.3 on a public road....then I think their claims are not legit in terms of a, "production car."

This is fun! I'm sure Elon won't be able to resist the challenge.

For the record, the Demon is screaming fast in the quarter mile but it may not be faster than the Model S P100D in 0-60 (reported 2.3 Demon v. 2.28 Model S in Motor Trend test). And before people start whining that the Motor Trend test wasn't fair because they used a car with essentially no options and Arachnid wheels, please keep in mind:

"To save weight, Dodge removed the front passenger seat and the rear seat. Customers can still buy them as options — for $1 each." lol​

http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...hoa-dodge-demon-get-840-horsepower/100206660/

Dodge's website clearly states it's the fastest 0-60 and fastest production car and ignores MT time of 2.27xxxx. Let the name calling between the two continue. It's also the first production car to wheelie. Where is the video?

Tesla likes to label the flagship P100D as the fastest accelerating but the Demon under hard acceleration pulls 1.8G. Headaches galore! I do wonder if those tires are all 50 state legal and if higher octane fuel was used to run a 9.6 1/4. Anytime you're in the mid 10's is a super car. A mid 9 sec car is unthinkable. Price is probably low six figures.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
Not to dash anybody's hopes, but I have a hunch that you'll need a NHRA Super Gas license (check), firesuit and SNELL SA helmet (check), have the car caged and NHRA certified, fire system, and run a chute (ugh, talk about ruining your resale value).

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think an automaker would plate a 9 second drag car and make emissions.

It would not be the quickest thing I've raced, but it would be the quickest thing that's actually 100% street legal.

Reactions: jeffro01 and GSP
Not to dash anybody's hopes, but I have a hunch that you'll need a NHRA Super Gas license (check), firesuit and SNELL SA helmet (check), have the car caged and NHRA certified, fire system, and run a chute (ugh, talk about ruining your resale value).

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think an automaker would plate a 9 second drag car and make emissions.

It would not be the quickest thing I've raced, but it would be the quickest thing that's actually 100% street legal.

You're 100% correct. You can't just leave work, home, or the coffee shop with 6 passengers and drive it to the strip. Drop your peeps off near the stands to watch you demolish just about anything in your wake. This car will take "some" prep time before you let it loose, but that is who Dodge is catering to.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam