Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodge Demon 1/4mi 9.6 @ 140 - 0-60 2.3sec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're 100% correct. You can't just leave work, home, or the coffee shop with 6 passengers and drive it to the strip. Drop your peeps off near the stands to watch you demolish just about anything in your wake. This car will take "some" prep time before you let it loose, but that is who Dodge is catering to.

Here's how it normally went for us. There were scheduled points events, and "test-n-tune" events with friends. Some of the series events were 2000+ miles away, but most were under 500 miles. You trailer to these, have a crew, rent hotel rooms, etc. But for plated vehicles at local TNT events, we would find a babysitter and my wife and I would drive the drag car to the event wearing DOT racing tires. At the track we adjust the car and remove the seat(s). We put them back in and drive home the same day.

Drag Racing is the most popular participant motorsport in America. It is not to be confused with street racing, which is like playing in the snow instead of skiing.

Reactions: No ICE
The demon is a huge lap forward for a street legal drag car. It's so fast NHRA banned it. Hopefully the next gen roadster can rival this thing but getting into the mid 9's will be difficult. The new roadster 60' and 1/8 mi times might get close to the demon but the 1/4 seems untouchable. Hopefully Tesla proves me wrong.

Reactions: jaguar36

It's nice that they share drag strip slips and video.

I dare Tesla to do the same. Share your 10.9 second P90DL V1 time slips Tesla!

Hey Tesla
11807766613_7f6ab0d335_z.jpg

If it was like 20 years ago.
That's a very naive thing to say. It's clearly a magnificent car.

Twenty Years Ago Today!

Chevrolet Corvette is considered the quickest affordable car. A professional drag racer pushes one to 12.8@108 mph with the stick shift transmission. It becomes the quickest Corvette ever made, besting the old 427ci limited edition models (unmodified) with only 346ci of LS1 Small Block Chevy under the hood.

Does Hotlobstah understand the difference between a high 12 and mid 9? Sort of like the comparing a P-51 Mustang and F-22 Raptor.

It's so fast NHRA banned it.

LOL, that is clever marketing speak for "it does not meet the published NHRA safety requirements requiring cars faster than 9.99 to have a roll cage". Describing that as "banned for being too fast" is clickbait.

I'm not saying the roll bar / roll cage rules make sense now that unaltered street cars can run 9s and 10s, but they are what they are and anyone buying a Demon is going to have to figure out whether they'll be allowed on their local drag strip.

Let's see how many of these things get totaled from all the idiots trying to take a corner at 100 MPH.

If you have brake problems, you 'drop the laundry' before trying to negotiate the turnout. That's why a chute is mandatory.

Oddly enough, if the car gets squirrely, you must stay into it. If you lift it puts weight on the nose, the rears grab but with negative weight transfer, and the car swaps ends and/or rolls.

The Demon comes with a free class at Bondurant, but...

Yeah, somebody will run out of talent and bad things will happen especially if they are running the skinnies.
This is why you need to be licensed to run 10.000 or quicker. The NHRA has a good safety record and plans to keep it that way.

Reactions: GSP