Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodge Demon 1/4mi 9.6 @ 140 - 0-60 2.3sec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually... you get a better run time (theoretically at least) when your ICE is low on it's energy storage; just the opposite of our cars.
There's a couple things like that which I find interesting between EV & ICE that are polar opposites.
Warm Day - EV Advantage
Cool Day - ICE Advantage
High 'Fuel' - EV Advantage
Low 'Fuel' - ICE Advantage
And others I can't think of right now... interesting though!
Car and Driver tested three cars last year (a Ferrari, a Toyota SUV and a Hellcat) in a comparison of how quickly they could run the tanks empty and found that the Hellcat actually had very consistent times between a full tank and an empty tank (well, right before it hit empty).

• Disagree
Reactions: Maximilien
I'll believe it's a 10 sec car running 1/4 mile time but i willing to bet the casual driver will never see 0-60 in under 3 sec

Very insightful. People who drive casually probably won't go >128 mph in a city block from a stoplight, or heat up their tires, stall it against the transbrake, and do a wheelie or massive burnout across an intersection.

Because casual drivers seldom even know when the dragstrips are open or what the rules and requirements are, nor own a helmet.

Car and Driver tested three cars last year (a Ferrari, a Toyota SUV and a Hellcat) in a comparison of how quickly they could run the tanks empty and found that the Hellcat actually had very consistent times between a full tank and an empty tank (well, right before it hit empty).
That's pretty interesting... The Hellcat has an 18.5 gallon tank. That's approximately 115 pounds of fuel. If they had consistent times from full to empty, the driver must not have ever been able to successfully achieve the max potential of the car. Or the car is incapable of achieving it's potential by design. In any case, still really interesting.

• Helpful
Reactions: No ICE
P100D is no longer the fastest production vehicle.

The Dodge Demon is an 840-horsepower manifesto

I wonder what Elon's response to this will be.

I don't think the Model S was ever the fastest street vehicle. It was the quickest 0-60 mph however fastest in the performance car world generally refers to either trap speeds in the 1/4 mile or top speed. Quickest in the drag strip world is the ET or elapsed time just to confuse things.

These are not official terms, but commonly accepted as such.

Quickest 1/4 mile ET would be the Porsche 918, McLaren P1 or Veyron which all hover around 9.9-10.1.
Fastest 1/4 mile trap speeds would be the Veyron undoubtedly in the 140+ range.

The fact that all of these are million dollar cars shows how incredible the attainable performance of the SRT products is

Dodge's website clearly states it's the fastest 0-60 and fastest production car and ignores MT time of 2.27xxxx. Let the name calling between the two continue. It's also the first production car to wheelie. Where is the video?

Tesla likes to label the flagship P100D as the fastest accelerating but the Demon under hard acceleration pulls 1.8G. Headaches galore! I do wonder if those tires are all 50 state legal and if higher octane fuel was used to run a 9.6 1/4. Anytime you're in the mid 10's is a super car. A mid 9 sec car is unthinkable. Price is probably low six figures.
maybe because the Motor Trend time is a bit useless...it's a 0-60 mph time (in other words about 80 foot run) where they give the car a 1 foot rollout before the clocks start.

Why? because that's how the timers work at a dragstrip they say...but that's completely irrelevant for measuring any other acceleration.

That's why manufacturer claimed times are almost always slower than 'motor trend' or whomever uses a 1 foot rollout.

Giving the car a 1 foot headstart on an 80 foot race is kinda stupid.

That's pretty interesting... The Hellcat has an 18.5 gallon tank. That's approximately 115 pounds of fuel. If they had consistent times from full to empty, the driver must not have ever been able to successfully achieve the max potential of the car. Or the car is incapable of achieving it's potential by design. In any case, still really interesting.
With a 200lb suited driver it's 4400lb car IIRC. 115lb isn't a big deal, especially if it helps with traction. And you can't run empty usually, the g's at launch push the fuel back at first, then bounces forward uncovering the pickup.

If they were required to put all the NHRA 9.99-7.50 equipment on, add another 300lb.

maybe because the Motor Trend time is a bit useless...it's a 0-60 mph time (in other words about 80 foot run) where they give the car a 1 foot rollout before the clocks start.

Why? because that's how the timers work at a dragstrip they say...but that's completely irrelevant for measuring any other acceleration.

That's why manufacturer claimed times are almost always slower than 'motor trend' or whomever uses a 1 foot rollout.

Giving the car a 1 foot headstart on an 80 foot race is kinda stupid.

Chevy measures performance times based on initial car movement, it printed the specs. Dragstrips I go to do not know or care about 0-60mph times. Nobody races to 60 I suppose except barstools and lawnmowers.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and YellyYeti
Not to dash anybody's hopes, but I have a hunch that you'll need a NHRA Super Gas license (check), firesuit and SNELL SA helmet (check), have the car caged and NHRA certified, fire system, and run a chute (ugh, talk about ruining your resale value).

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think an automaker would plate a 9 second drag car and make emissions.

It would not be the quickest thing I've raced, but it would be the quickest thing that's actually 100% street legal.
not to ruin the anti-dodge party but no, you won't. Tracks will make exceptions for a 'supercar' status vehicle if it is all stock. They may ask you to wear a helmet and a jacket but that's it.

No, I think it just weighs a lot, and makes a ton of power.

100 lbs or so weight savings is generally good for 1 tenth and less than 1 mph trap delta at the 1/4 mile, but that's on a regular car that might run 13.0 @ 106 (Audi S4, BMW 335i etc.). When you're in the 10s and trapping in the 130 range, 100 lbs isn't going to move the needle much. Weight doesn't have a huge influence on Trap speeds of high powered heavy cars. Power does.

not to ruin the anti-dodge party but no, you won't. Tracks will make exceptions for a 'supercar' status vehicle if it is all stock. They may ask you to wear a helmet and a jacket but that's it.

If there is an NHRA exclusion for 9.99 or quicker I am unaware of it. If a track wants to let you run a 6 second pass buck naked with a blindfold on, they can, but their NHRA insurance won't cover it. I watched a 'famous' track in Kentucky let a guy take his 9 year old son as a passenger for a 9 second pass. Passengers are forbidden quicker than 14.000.

Chevy measures performance times based on initial car movement, it printed the specs. Dragstrips I go to do not know or care about 0-60mph times. Nobody races to 60 I suppose except barstools and lawnmowers.

not many people race side by side to high speeds at all because it's illegal and dangerous but I can bet most on this forum have gunned it from a stoplight to try to dust someone (be it a stranger, friend etc) and that's almost always a 0-60 race. Sounds like you've never been to Detroit lol. Don't go onWoodward if you don't like stoplight racing 0-60 runs.

Knowing your car's 0-60 (or 0-100 etc) time is a valuable benchmark to understand how it acclerates vs. other vehicles (all of which have been tested). Very few people who buy $100,000 cars are interested in going to a drag strip and trying a test and tune, nevermind entering a sportsman series. While you sound like you spend(spent) a lot of time at the dragstrip, getting 99% of people to even consider going with their performance car is almost impossible. So a benchmarked acceleration test is something people care about. For the record I've made 100s of passes in my previous cars.