Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodge Demon 1/4mi 9.6 @ 140 - 0-60 2.3sec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a very interesting statement, considering that no article I've seen includes a price, and some of them explicitly say that Dodge refused to tell them the price...

Also, what I think you meant is that it is much quicker in a single set of carefully controlled conditions - one which it is actually banned from participating in because they breached the ten second line and don't have the equipment required for the faster class (according to Dodge's own video.) How's that for ironic?

The available data suggests it won't beat the P100DL to 60 even in the Demon's ideal environment, and it certainly won't be quicker in typical street situations.

Neither a Tesla nor a Demon would be even mildly competitive against an electric drag car.

Rocket is the quickest electric car with a 6.940 @ 201.37mph 1/4 mile pass.

At [email protected] Black Current III is currently (har) the quickest street electric car.

You could say a P100D is the quickest electric car you can make lease payments on. It is not a drag car per se.

Last edited:
Arrgghhh... OK, perhaps errata. The 8.47 Black Current III pass is listed as the record, but it has run 8.2x in the last year also, apparently unofficially.

edit - I'm not sure why I see different numbers.

Neither a Tesla nor a Demon would be even mildly competitive against an electric drag car.

Rocket is the quickest electric car with a 6.940 @ 201.37mph 1/4 mile pass.

At [email protected] Black Current III is currently (har) the quickest street electric car.

You could say a P100D is the quickest electric car you can make lease payments on. It is not a drag car per se.
There is a huge difference between a production car with a full factory warranty and a home made road legal race car.

I find most American production cars uninspiring, V8 motors antiquated, and a good portion of the associated car culture annoying and uninformed...oh, and by extension, the associated marketing industry that's willing to pass over any number of realities in an effort to post the best numbers.

But this thread is a glowing example of 'haters gonna hate'. Chill, people.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that. The Demon will still run sticky tires on the road, and it will still have 840hp, which is substantially more than the P100D. But let's not get into a top trumps, these are both great cars. The Demon deserves respect, which is more than the fanboys in this thread are giving it.

I am not sure why the Demon deserves respect. Ok, 840hp is a lot of horsepower but whats the purpose of a 9 second one seat, race fuel, drag radial car? Go buy Cobra Jet Mustang and run 8 seconds with a cage, bars and chute. Unless you are from the 405 and a street outlaw 140mph trap speed is too fast for the street.

I am a huge car/bike, track (left and right turns) junkie - I own exotics, muscle cars - I love racing but the Demon does not impress me.

I find American production cars uninspiring, V8 motors antiquated, and a good portion of the associated car culture annoying and uninformed...oh, and by extension, the associated marketing industry that's willing to pass over any number of realities in an effort to post the best numbers.

But this thread is a glowing example of 'haters gonna hate'. Chill, people.
A P100D is an American production car. I find it inspiring.

I am not sure why the Demon deserves respect. Ok, 840hp is a lot of horsepower but whats the purpose of a 9 second one seat, race fuel, drag radial car? Go buy Cobra Jet Mustang and run 8 seconds with a cage, bars and chute. Unless you are from the 405 and a street outlaw 140mph trap speed is too fast for the street.

I am a huge car/bike, track (left and right turns) junkie - I own exotics, muscle cars - I love racing but the Demon does not impress me.

Mustang Cobra Jets were never a big deal. A half ass effort by Ford. If the 2018 Demon is boring then Ford's efforts are comical. Hence Ford wins. Laughing is more fun than yawning.

I thought that was your dad...

Are you missing the fact that this thing is a fully compliant road car. You can buy it and drive it to work every day.
Are you missing the fact that this thing is a fully compliant road car. You can buy it and drive it to work every day.

Provided you install the passenger seat and put normal tires back on it. A P100D is a way better (and quicker) car to drive to work everyday.

Provided you install the passenger seat and put normal tires back on it. A P100D is a way better (and quicker) car to drive to work everyday.
Apparently not, this thing still runs 9s on road tires with pump gas supposedly. We'll have to wait till Motor Trend tests it then makes up some ridiculously low numbers that no one can emulate to compare with their made up P100D numbers.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Wait are those skinny front drag tires that I saw on the Demon? Are they going to sell those stock?
The skinnies are part of a track kit you can buy. The car does not ship with them installed. Skinnies should not be driven on the street. I'll admit I've violated this before, but it's not bright.

For drag racing, skinnies are multi purpose. It allows better weight transfer, rotating weight has more effect than chassis weight, and ...

It's safer. The fact that skinnies have less lateral traction makes it harder to loop the car. It forces the car to understeer.

But there is a huge downside. Your braking power sucks with skinnies on. If you are going to trap 140mph+ with skinnies make sure your chute works (actually drop the chute your first pass) and the lever position is instinctive.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mdevp
This is fun! I'm sure Elon won't be able to resist the challenge.

For the record, the Demon is screaming fast in the quarter mile but it may not be faster than the Model S P100D in 0-60 (reported 2.3 Demon v. 2.28 Model S in Motor Trend test). And before people start whining that the Motor Trend test wasn't fair because they used a car with essentially no options and Arachnid wheels, please keep in mind:

"To save weight, Dodge removed the front passenger seat and the rear seat. Customers can still buy them as options — for $1 each." lol​

Whoa! Dodge Challenger SRT Demon to get 840 horsepower
Not only that. Demon achieved the 2.3 seconds (as well as its 1/4 mile time) with the small skinny drag tire installed for the front wheels. Saving weight and reduce surface drag to maximize the performance. Not to mention that the Demon need racing fuel with octane 100+ to achieve all those time.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: EinSV