Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodge Demon 1/4mi 9.6 @ 140 - 0-60 2.3sec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dodge's website clearly states it's the fastest 0-60 and fastest production car and ignores MT time of 2.27xxxx. Let the name calling between the two continue. It's also the first production car to wheelie. Where is the video?

Tesla likes to label the flagship P100D as the fastest accelerating but the Demon under hard acceleration pulls 1.8G. Headaches galore! I do wonder if those tires are all 50 state legal and if higher octane fuel was used to run a 9.6 1/4. Anytime you're in the mid 10's is a super car. A mid 9 sec car is unthinkable. Price is probably low six figures.
I am pretty sure the 1.8g (at launch) claim from Dodge is fake. There are multiple independent tests done on Tesla P100D that suggests max g of around 1.3, and keep in minds that Tesla achieve 0-60 mph in 2.28 seconds (with 1 foot roll out). There is absolutely NO WAY that Dodge can achieve a significantly higher g at 1.8, while the 0-60 mph is at 2.3 seconds (with 1 foot roll out). It is just not physically possible no matter how you cut it.

I am pretty sure the 1.8g (at launch) claim from Dodge is fake. There are multiple independent tests done on Tesla P100D that suggests max g of around 1.3, and keep in minds that Tesla achieve 0-60 mph in 2.28 seconds (with 1 foot roll out). There is absolutely NO WAY that Dodge can achieve a significantly higher g at 1.8, while the 0-60 mph is at 2.3 seconds (with 1 foot roll out). It is just not physically possible no matter how you cut it.

0-60 mph does not have a rollout. 1/4 mile times do.

I think the 1.8G is probably real, on the drag radials and a prepared surface, and for a short moment.

Remember the big difference between an EV and an ICE car launch - the ICE car has the engine spinning at high speed and a clutching element that dumps that power into the lower drivetrain in a single jolt. That jolt is the ~2 feet where the front wheels come off the ground, and is the "1.8G" part of the acceleration.

After that, acceleration falls off to just what the engine can deliver in real time, so the average over time is the same as/slightly lower than the P100DL, but there's that initial shock of much more.

Who's wants to play math?

If the Dodge cuts a 1.44 second sixty foot time (about right for a 9.6 @ 140 car), it averages 1.800 g's for the first 60 feet.

Check it.

Tell me the best 60' time on a P100DL+ and I'll give a g number.

I think the 1.8G is probably real, on the drag radials and a prepared surface, and for a short moment.

Remember the big difference between an EV and an ICE car launch - the ICE car has the engine spinning at high speed and a clutching element that dumps that power into the lower drivetrain in a single jolt. That jolt is the ~2 feet where the front wheels come off the ground, and is the "1.8G" part of the acceleration.

After that, acceleration falls off to just what the engine can deliver in real time, so the average over time is the same as/slightly lower than the P100DL, but there's that initial shock of much more.

Look at 3:52 of this video (see below), it is comparing the predecessor of P100D (p85d) vs the predecessor of Demon (Hellcat). There are also other channel like Dragtimes using Vbox equipment that show P100D max g is now at 1.3 something g, very similar profile compare to what you see in this video. Notice that almost all EV with g level peaking in the first 2 seconds, while gas car peak g is usually later due to traction and non-instant torque. Yes, you could argue that this Consumer Report test wasn't done on drag strip.

But if comparing P100D vs Demon, the "jolt" within the first 2 second after launch is definitely harder with the P100D. We all know that EV is quicker in the fast half of the quarter mile, while the 2nd half of the quarter mile is slower. ICE cars is the other way around. And we all know that peak g level all happens during the first half of the 1/4 mile (usually within the first 2 seconds after launch). So it just make common sense to me that P100D would win on g level.

I think when we find figures in regard to 0-30 mph time between the two cars, then we know for sure which one has higher g. It is not that hard, whichever has a faster 0-30 mph time means also having higher g. 0-60 mph is also another important data point, we all know that P100D is 2.28 second and Demon is 2.3 second. The results so far already tilt toward Tesla favor.

I'm guessing you're a tech guy and not a car guy, because if you can't understand what a monumental achievement the Demon is, running a a 9.X with a factory warranty and full creature comforts, perhaps coming into a thread and criticising it isn't the best course of action. It makes you look dumb.

I'm a car guy and agree with @Hotlobstah, it's an amazing vehicle but not for today, gas guzzlers are not where manufacturers need to focus their energies, FCA will need an EV program to survive the next decades

Look at 3:52 of this video (see below), it is comparing the predecessor of P100D (p85d) vs the predecessor of Demon (Hellcat). There are also other channel like Dragtimes using Vbox equipment that show P100D max g is now at 1.3 something g, very similar profile compare to what you see in this video. Notice that almost all EV with g level peaking in the first 2 seconds, while gas car peak g is usually later due to traction and non-instant torque. Yes, you could argue that this Consumer Report test wasn't done on drag strip.

But if comparing P100D vs Demon, the "jolt" within the first 2 second after launch is definitely harder with the P100D. We all know that EV is quicker in the fast half of the quarter mile, while the 2nd half of the quarter mile is slower. ICE cars is the other way around. And we all know that peak g level all happens during the first half of the 1/4 mile (usually within the first 2 seconds after launch). So it just make common sense to me that P100D would win on g level.

I think when we find figures in regard to 0-30 mph time between the two cars, then we know for sure which one has higher g. It is not that hard, whichever has a faster 0-30 mph time means also having higher g. 0-60 mph is also another important data point, we all know that P100D is 2.28 second and Demon is 2.3 second. The results so far already tilt toward Tesla favor.

It's like you're somehow trying to imply the P100D is a faster car than the Demon because it might beat it to 60mph, while ignoring the huge difference in 1/4mile time and trap speed.

How long will those rear stock tires (Nitto's?) last on the street? So, you get the car, and then would you immediately have to buy a new set of tires for day to day driving? I've never owned a car like this so I have no idea.

It's like you're somehow trying to imply the P100D is a faster car than the Demon because it might beat it to 60mph, while ignoring the huge difference in 1/4mile time and trap speed.

The problem is that a mid 9 car that only traps 140 is always accelerating quicker than a mid 10 car trapping 125.
Best guess is the two companies measure 0-60 mph times differently.

Last edited:
The Tesla should be faster. It shares the same principles are remote control cars. Electrics have inherit advantages.

It would be more impressive if Tesla had the fastest electric time around Nurburgring, but I believe Toyota has that by a long shot.