TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dodge Pick-Up PHEV

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by jcaspar, Aug 14, 2014.

1. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Came out to our EV parking spots to see a Dodge Pickup parked in one of the 10 spots. Was surprised when I took a closer look. I think the Michigan manufacturer plates (in California) mean it is a prototype of some kind. A welcome site versus all the rotten little plug in Priuses that are usually blocking the spots...:tongue:

IMG_3546.JPG IMG_3547.JPG IMG_3548.JPG

2. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Just think how many miles it'd get with the pickup bed full of batteries!

3. hoopty_yo

hoopty_yo Member

Why waste the bed space with batteries? Ford managed to keep a functional truck with the Ranger EV. I got to pull the battery pack out of one a couple years ago. Tested all 25 Panasonic NiMH batteries and put it all back together. Would love to see the range if somebody ever sets one of those up with a Lithium pack.:smile:

4. matbl

matbl Member

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Chrysler created the Ram brand for all its trucks a few years ago so technically, there are no new Dodge trucks any more. (They used to be Dodge Ram trucks).

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Wow! This is cool! My contractor guys would love this! They can forget about having 120V circuits trip all the time with their welders.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

#7 mknox, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

This really is a great use for a PHEV. I'm only guessing but I bet these contractor worksite trucks don't drive very far during a normal day or maybe are parked at times near 240V outlets. So even a 20 mile EV range could be useful.

9. MacroP

MacroP Member

Yep definitely. And also have a factory fitted decent sized inverter onboard for those sites without onsite power (yet) or for worksites in the middle of nowhere. I think this would be a great selling point. No need to carry around or worry about a work generator and fuel can. Use the battery to drive to site one day or use the onboard battery to power tools on another day. Great option to have IMO. The new Mitsi Outlander PHEV has this potential now but is not very practical as a trade vehicle.

10. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I am very happy with this development.