Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodged a bullet? Petersendean Chapter 11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
HI,

Petersendean is a large roofing and solar installer in California, Nevada, and Hawaii. We had worked with Petersendean on installing a roof and solar for our house. We were at the point were permits were pulled and we were trying setting up install dates, but they had many delays getting back to us. But before we could get that finalized Elon had the solar day and showed of the new SolarGlass Roof v3. We had wanted a SolarRoof instead of a roof with panels, so sent in our info. A couple of weeks later Petersendean called and said they wanted to schedule the install. We told them we were talking to other vendors and would let them know in a few weeks. That same week Tesla gave us the SolarRoof quote and it was $1000 less that Petersendean and was 12 kW instead of 9.6. We accepted Tesla's quote and send an email to Petersendean that we would not be moving forward and thought that was it.

Today I received a letter giving me information on how to get in the line of creditors that filing against Petersendean. In part the letter read, "PDI and affiliates had to file for Chapter 11 protection earlier this month ... This situation unfortunately affected our ability to buy materials and complete projects for you. The courts will be deciding the process of how and went to process refunds and until then, we are not authorized to process anything at this time. If you have a pending refund request, you will need to file a proof of claim form...."

HI,

Petersendean is a large roofing and solar installer in California, Nevada, and Hawaii. We had worked with Petersendean on installing a roof and solar for our house. We were at the point were permits were pulled and we were trying setting up install dates, but they had many delays getting back to us. But before we could get that finalized Elon had the solar day and showed of the new SolarGlass Roof v3. We had wanted a SolarRoof instead of a roof with panels, so sent in our info. A couple of weeks later Petersendean called and said they wanted to schedule the install. We told them we were talking to other vendors and would let them know in a few weeks. That same week Tesla gave us the SolarRoof quote and it was $1000 less that Petersendean and was 12 kW instead of 9.6. We accepted Tesla's quote and send an email to Petersendean that we would not be moving forward and thought that was it.

Today I received a letter giving me information on how to get in the line of creditors that filing against Petersendean. In part the letter read, "PDI and affiliates had to file for Chapter 11 protection earlier this month ... This situation unfortunately affected our ability to buy materials and complete projects for you. The courts will be deciding the process of how and went to process refunds and until then, we are not authorized to process anything at this time. If you have a pending refund request, you will need to file a proof of claim form...."
Wow, sounds like it worked out for you well. Many congrats. Looking to hear how well it turns out.

My input about this for other folks considering solar is that I did what I normally do with any contractor, because too many of them go out of business. Their company warranties aren't anything I factor into my cost. I consider that to be a plus if they stay in business. I paid them only for the materials on the day they arrived and when they installed the system 2 days later, I paid them for the installation, and when it went live and confirmed to work, I paid them the rest. The process doesn't solve every potential financial problem, but cuts out a lot of them.

To me, one of the selling points for Tesla was that they are more likely (though I definitely won't say certainly) to be around to stand behind their product over the next couple decades than a lot of other roofing and solar companies. It is a tough business, and it seems like a lot of companies end up not being able to make it. And while I do hope to see strong competitors to Tesla emerge and thrive (solar is a huge market, and competition is good,) it makes sense to go with a company who hopefully will still be there down the road.

Reactions: jboy210
Wow, sounds like it worked out for you well. Many congrats. Looking to hear how well it turns out.

My input about this for other folks considering solar is that I did what I normally do with any contractor, because too many of them go out of business. Their company warranties aren't anything I factor into my cost. I consider that to be a plus if they stay in business. I paid them only for the materials on the day they arrived and when they installed the system 2 days later, I paid them for the installation, and when it went live and confirmed to work, I paid them the rest. The process doesn't solve every potential financial problem, but cuts out a lot of them.

Thanks G. That is some good advice on working with contractors of all sorts. These days, a lot of players that we just getting by are going out of business.

We started getting some bad vibes for P-D early on in the process. There were month long delays between calls and a continually changing cast of sales reps and support people. We thought we were done with them when I told them we were going the Tesla SolarRoof. I was surprised to get the letter.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
PDI was an aggressive advertizer on the radio in the Bay Area. One of his lines was "I have socks in my drawer older than the other solar companies"
yea, funny. So now you have socks in your drawer older than them :D

side note: I had that company put a new roof on one of my homes in San Francisco bay area, and they did a great job.......uh..... that was over 20 years ago though

one of the two owners lives in my neighborhood and last year i noticed a non-petersen dean company replacing the solar panels on his house... i guess that was a harbinger of things to come.
What? I guess one of them moved. I know of both and neither one lives in Oakland. At least not as far as I remember. Perhaps that changed. Seems odd they would have someone else do the solar.

What? I guess one of them moved. I know of both and neither one lives in Oakland. At least not as far as I remember. Perhaps that changed. Seems odd they would have someone else do the solar.

maybe that is the reason then. i don't know him but know the house where he lives/lived obvs. it was some years ago that we learned who he was so maybe he moved out in the interim.

I’ve heard their commercials often over the years. In fact heard that sock commercial on KCBS not that long ago. I hate to hear of any solar company struggling especially now but this covid work stoppage thing has really impacted their business for months so not surprised I guess that they needed to file for Chapter 11. While I’m sure Tesla’s price cuts on solar have contributed to this decision, I’m sure its way more than that. I’d venture to say the general public in this area is more aware of PD being in solar installations than Tesla at this point. Sunrun just bought Viviant Solar to become a huge competitor so no shortage of competition pressure. Sunrun is also ramping up advertising in a big way.

Anywhere in Calif impacted by utility company safety shutdowns during wildfire season can use all the solar/PW installers we can get to keep people self sufficient during these blackouts and the economy as little affected as possible. Lots of financial hurt going on out there.

Last edited: