Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodged a bullett: Not this time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was sweating there for a while as the sun dipped toward the horizon… I just needed the other tenth of a kilowatthour to avoid a visit from the Prince of Darkness…
66E07282-AE32-42FB-ADBA-3AC4FF528806.jpeg

that seems to be a lot of clipping?
I was asking about it a little while back (about the clipping) I have a 9.6 kW system with 1 Powerwall+ (7.6 kW Inverter). I was worried that I was losing too much because of the clipping, I'm still very new to solar energy systems so even the term "clipping" is fairly new to me.

I was asking if I should add another 3.8 kW inverter to my system in order to get access to the power being clipped at the inverter max of 7.7, but just about everyone said that with a 9.6kW system and 7.7kW max production 9.6/7.7 = 1.25 which is what they said is a already very close to the production vs loss ratio that is typical in systems, and adding another inverter would make an insignificant difference compared to the cost of getting one.

By the shape of the curve and how it would still be undoubtedly flattening quite a bit at the peak anyway even without the clipping, does it seem in your opinion that I'm losing a lot? I'm already producing 2x what I am normally using in a day, which is why I wasn't really upset about it. The amount I sent back to the grid was only as much as it was on this day because I spent a good part of the day charging the car at 6 kW which is not typical at all.

I was asking about it a little while back (about the clipping) I have a 9.6 kW system with 1 Powerwall+ (7.6 kW Inverter). I was worried that I was losing too much because of the clipping, I'm still very new to solar energy systems so even the term "clipping" is fairly new to me.

I was asking if I should add another 3.8 kW inverter to my system in order to get access to the power being clipped at the inverter max of 7.7, but just about everyone said that with a 9.6kW system and 7.7kW max production 9.6/7.7 = 1.25 which is what they said is a already very close to the production vs loss ratio that is typical in systems, and adding another inverter would make an insignificant difference compared to the cost of getting one.

By the shape of the curve and how it would still be undoubtedly flattening quite a bit at the peak anyway even without the clipping, does it seem in your opinion that I'm losing a lot? I'm already producing 2x what I am normally using in a day, which is why I wasn't really upset about it. The amount I sent back to the grid was only as much as it was on this day because I spent a good part of the day charging the car at 6 kW which is not typical at all.
That clipping is insignificant, also your dc/ac ratio looks to be right in the sweet spot.

You have a good design that is capturing a great area under the curve. Do not worry about this small amount of clipping. It will lessen over time and as the summer hearts up it will be even smaller.