Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does 300Wh/mi equate to rated range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the number they used to calculate is 285 Wh/mi.

The one thing that throws me off is that line on the energy screens seems to be at 300 Wh/mi. So you need to be slightly below the line to get the rated range.

Short version: It appears that the 308 (or 305, or 307) #'s for rated range INCLUDE the "below zero" reserve, and thus at those consumption rates your displays will countdown to zero faster than you drive those miles. Using about 273(as noted here that varies) appears to get you close to a 1:1 ratio of rated mile to driven mile.

Long Version: Energy Accounting

I use the following two methods:

1. Assuming the battery holds 80000 Wh of usable energy, divide that number by your lifetime average to get an estimate of total range:
80000 Wh / (257 Wh/mi) = 311 miles.
To get rated range:
80000 Wh / 265 mi = 302 Wh/mi

However, there are some losses that don't get included in the rated range number, so driving at 302 Wh/mi won't get rated range, which is why method #2 is more useful.

2. Note the miles remaining at the end of the charge. During driving, add the miles traveled since last charge to the current miles remaining to see how many "real miles" were gained or lost. Example:
Charged to 210 miles.
Since last charge: 100 miles.
Miles remaining 135.
100 + 135 - 210 = 25 miles gained over rated range.

As long as the number is a gain from rated range, you know that you have at least rated range left. (Doesn't work if there are substantial elevation gains or losses.)

Based on my observations of my Model s over 18,000 miles by deciphering where the line is on the graph and if my mileage correlates with what the car is telling me I have rated at 306wh/mile and ideal at 266wh/mile

The line on the graph, unfortunately, does not equal what you actually need to average in order to achieve rated (or ideal) range.

My 290 Wh/m comes from what the trip meter read after driving from 100% to nearly 0% and happening to achieve exactly my rated range during that trip.

My Energy Display has a line somewhere around 300 Wh/mi (I think it might be a tiny bit above 300) that says "Rated", and if my 30 mile average is at this number, the Projected miles and Rated miles are the same. Doesn't this mean that +/- 300 Wh/mi is the rated range???