Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does 6.2 INDUCE Range Anxiety?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the Navigator to route me from Austin to my home in Houston. My Energy Page and my Rated Range said I had 120 miles of charge but the Navigator said I would not make the 90 miles to the Columbus supercharger and routed me to the San Marcos charger first. I decided to be conservative and follow that advice. After charging in San Marcos I moseyed onto Columbus and charged up to 140 miles, well beyond what the Navigator said I needed to make the last 75 miles home. After about 5 minutes on I-10, I got the yellow warning that I should slow down or I would not make my destination. I dropped from the 75 mph speed limit to 65 mph. Then about 10 minutes later the Navigator turned red and said I would run out before I reached home and would be 20% short of energy. However the energy map and the rated range both agreed that I had 120 miles of charge left to make my 75 miles. I continued on hoping that the Navigator would change its mind after a few miles but it never did. About 35 miles from home with the warning still in place I cancelled the route and re-entered a route for home. Now the Navigator came up and agreed with the energy map and the rated range that I had more than enough miles. I arrived home with about 65 miles of charge still remaining.

It occurred to me that the Navigator may have been computing energy requirements for a round trip but if so that is not necessarily a good automatic assumption. Any thoughts?

It's a beta release. It's not routing round trip. It's just a bug on that route. I've noticed in routing from my home in Fresno to Palm Springs it gives me this ridiculous direction through Lone Pine which is an hour of unnecessary driving in the wrong direction.