TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Does a AP compatible map exist?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, May 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

I'd like to see how much of my most common destinations would be covered by AP for my future M3. (ie portions of PCH, etc) Anyway to look this up?

2. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

There is no coverage map for AP. Essentially, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong (there is a good chance of that), AP is, for the moment, intended mainly for freeways with clearly marked lane lines. Eventually, full self drive should work just about anywhere that there is a decent map of and that GPS can be used.

• Like x 1
  3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Right, if we assume M3's AP works like AP2.0 on the existing cars, there's basically no coverage map. The cameras and maps work together to determine whether or not to offer Autopilot at any given time, and whether or not there is a speed limit restriction on it.

Furthermore, currently, even on roads that the car offers AP, you still have to apply your own judgement and decide how carefully to monitor, because it will offer it sometimes when in reality it's not capable of maintaining stable control in that condition. Most of the "fail" videos you see involve allowing the system to operate in conditions it currently does not handle well.

How much this is different from what the M3 will have is anyone's guess. In reality I don't expect the M3 to release with full self driving abilities, and in the worst case it may follow an accelerated version of the Model S/X AP2.0 rollout, where for a short period of time there's no abilities, followed by an incremental rollout of features.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. BrettS

BrettS Member

#4 BrettS, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Just as a general guideline, autopilot lives and dies by the lines on the roads. If the roads you drive on have clear lines on the left and right of the lane then you should be in pretty good shape. This covers pretty much all highways (although you need to be careful in construction zones where old lines may still exist)

On surface streets again, clear lines are necessary, but near me, at least, often the lines disappear at intersections. If the road goes straight through the intersection this usually isn't a problem... the car will lose the lines for a few seconds, but continue traveling in the direction it's going and then pick up the lines on the other side of the intersection. However, if the intersection is in a turn this can cause a problem. When the lines disappear the car will continue going straight and not realize the road turns. If there is a car in front of you when the lines disappear your car can use that car to see which way it should be going, but this isn't always foolproof and if that car turns or switches lanes that can cause problems too. Additionally you don't always have a car in front of you.

It's also worth noting that it can follow a single line too. At some intersections near me the center line will continue through the intersection while the line on the side of the road stops. This is much better than no lines and usually the car car track a single line pretty well, but two lines is always better.

From what I've read there can also be issues on hills as the car crests the hill the camera is pointed up and the road lines are heading down, so again the car can lose track of the lines for a short time. As long as it's on a straight section of road you should be fine, but if there is a curve you may have issues. There aren't really any significant hills here in florida, so I don't have much experience with this.

Once you get your car you'll get a good idea of where AP will work well and where it won't, but like i said, clear lines on the road are the critical thing.

5. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Can anyone confirm that AP 2.0 works on PCH anywhere between Santa, Monica and Malibu? How about on Malibu Canyon Road or Kanan Dume?

6. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I would advise doing a little more reading/watching some videos on what AP is (and what it is supposed to be) right now.

I am not an owner, but as somebody who just rented a Model S 75 last weekend via Turo and experienced the most recently updated version of Autopilot 2.0 I will say it's pretty good for stop and go traffic and cruising down the interstate, especially if you have someone in front of you for it to track. However, I would consider it suicidal on any section of CA Hwy 1 or any similar road. We're talking 300 foot drops into the Pacific here, not just in the ditch and an embarassing call to your insurance. Could it handle sections? Probably. Should you be using it for that? Absolutely not.

Look at it this way: the car (Model S speaking of, but assuming Model 3 as well) is an absolute hoot to drive. Why would you have it drive itself on some of the most fun roads in the West, anyway? That's the great thing about Autopilot, even in its relatively current early stages: it can handle the boring stuff fairly well, and leaves the fun stuff to you!

• Like x 3