Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does a Model Y can drive in a single garage door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Remotely buying a house in San Diego, California recently, very concern about does my 2021 model Y would be able to drive in a single car garage door there?? I am not a expert driver. Don't want to skip any good house because it's a single car garage. Any comment would be appreciated.​

I wouldn't count on the Tesla Full Self Driving (FSD) package's Summon feature being able to pilot a Model Y in and out of a one car garage. There are too many things that could go wrong.

You can fold the mirrors in if needed, save this setting for your home location. You can back out using the backup camera with the side repeater cameras added to the backup view on the main screen.

Upvote 0
It should fit no problem.. I've done that with mine several times... I've even parked our MDX in the single stall before when I was doing maintenance, and it's 2" wider than the model Y. I wish the model Y would let you see the forward facing cameras when you turn on the repeater cams tho. It makes it easier to line up the car. Especially if you have a shallow garage stall... With our Y, because of the landing in our garage, I only have 1" clearance between the stairs and the Y when I pull in.. So I put reflective tape on the ground by the door, so I use the rear camera to know when I have pulled in close enough to the stairs... With all my other cars, I don't need to do this, becuase I can just use the front cameras. Granted the Y doesn't have a bumper mounted camera on the front, but the forward facing cameras would still help...

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Upvote 0
It should fit no problem.. I've done that with mine several times... I've even parked our MDX in the single stall before when I was doing maintenance, and it's 2" wider than the model Y. I wish the model Y would let you see the forward facing cameras when you turn on the repeater cams tho. It makes it easier to line up the car. Especially if you have a shallow garage stall... With our Y, because of the landing in our garage, I only have 1" clearance between the stairs and the Y when I pull in.. So I put reflective tape on the ground by the door, so I use the rear camera to know when I have pulled in close enough to the stairs... With all my other cars, I don't need to do this, becuase I can just use the front cameras. Granted the Y doesn't have a bumper mounted camera on the front, but the forward facing cameras would still help...
Yes, Model Y doesn't have a front camera, I have been trying to see how can I see in front with camera when parking. Do you know how can I turn on/use the forward facing cameras??

Upvote 0
Yes, Model Y doesn't have a front camera, I have been trying to see how can I see in front with camera when parking. Do you know how can I turn on/use the forward facing cameras??
The traditional method is you get it all squared up once, then hang a tennis ball so it hits the windshield when you are the correct depth.

I'm not sure if this is only on older radar based cars, but my Model Y gives me a distance reading in inches to the nearest object off the front or corner.

Sorry, no way to turn on the front cameras while parking that I know of. If someone knows a way I'd love to know this as well for different reasons.

Upvote 0
The Model Y has parking sensors. When you are within 30" from the rear wall of the garage the Model Y will display the distance from the front bumper. I use the distance displayed and a specific half brick in the side wall of my garage to park at the same distance from the front and rear of my garage each day. The parking sensors seem to be accurate +/- 1 inch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a house with two single-car garage doors built in 1955. Each one is 95" in width and I'm able to fit my 2021 Model Y into either, but it's a tight squeeze. I'd say I have about three inches clearance on both sides of the side-view mirrors. It's not too difficult driving in, but backing out is done a bit more cautiously.

Upvote 0
We’ve use several things for tight parking including the wheel stops which you run a wheel into, tape on the floor to see that you are lined up, mirrors on the wall to see that you are lined up with the tape, and looking in the rear camera to see when it lines up with a mark on the floor to tell when you are in the right amount.
The ‘tennis ball’ or the more modern laser beam version never worked; too hard to align precisely.

if anyone wants products, glad to provide!

Upvote 0
The Model Y has parking sensors. When you are within 30" from the rear wall of the garage the Model Y will display the distance from the front bumper. I use the distance displayed and a specific half brick in the side wall of my garage to park at the same distance from the front and rear of my garage each day. The parking sensors seem to be accurate +/- 1 inch.
Those sensors are great. Would be even better if they made it so it always shows you a reading. However when you get below 14" or so, it just says, "STOP". I have about 1" clearance in the front, so it would be great if it just tells me the reading when it gets below 14".

Upvote 0
parking.jpg

For reference, just using the reflective tape on the ground by the garage door, I use the rear camera to be able to pull up this close to the stairs/landing.

Reactions: laservet
Upvote 0