Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does a Rear Spoiler Keep the Rear Cleaner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My other question would be:

Does the Rear Spoiler keep (and protect) the Trunk Lid from scratches that might occurs when pressing on it with one hand to close the trunk?

I mean, do you put your hand on the spoiler or on the metal, or both, when closing the trunk?

I use the interior handle to pull down, and then just push down on the spoiler gently. If I'm REALLY good, the handle is all I need, if I get it far enough pulled down that gravity does the rest. This depends on how your struts behave, and also the build of the car. My friend's Model 3 has a much stiffer trunk, so it needs a much firmer press - even after replacing the struts.

Reactions: jpfive
BTW, the OEM spoiler does appear to help a bit with performance at high speed. This is from an Unplugged Performance study on the OEM spoiler from Tesla:

"Result: As expected, this product is not just for looks, it indeed performs improvements in high-speed stability and drag reduction. The vehicle’s total drag was reduced by 2.3% and the rear downforce was increased over baseline by 34.7%. This reduced the total drag coefficient (Cd) by 0.005."

Independent Aerodynamic Study of Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

My other question would be:

Does the Rear Spoiler keep (and protect) the Trunk Lid from scratches that might occurs when pressing on it with one hand to close the trunk?

I mean, do you put your hand on the spoiler or on the metal, or both, when closing the trunk?

I usually use the interior handle to pull down and then place my other hand on the license plate to close the trunk. It's what mobile service showed me anyway....

Reactions: elf9
I usually use the interior handle to pull down and then place my other hand on the license plate to close the trunk. It's what mobile service showed me anyway....

Same here. Once in a while I close it with a few finger on the trunk lid bottom to pull it down to close, but I only do that when the car was washed. When it is dirty (after 2 days), the entire back is cover in dust and grime... I don't want to touch it and made 3 fingerprints there LOL. I don't think I ever touch the top of the lid where they would install the spoiler. That's where I would set down my cup of whatever so I will have both hands to unwind/wind the cable of UMC at home to plug/unplug.

BTW, the OEM spoiler does appear to help a bit with performance at high speed. This is from an Unplugged Performance study on the OEM spoiler from Tesla:

"Result: As expected, this product is not just for looks, it indeed performs improvements in high-speed stability and drag reduction. The vehicle’s total drag was reduced by 2.3% and the rear downforce was increased over baseline by 34.7%. This reduced the total drag coefficient (Cd) by 0.005."

Independent Aerodynamic Study of Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

Hmmm...2.3% is a lot. Enough to offset a lot of the wheel inefficiencies, but somehow the Performance has a significantly lower mileage rating. Hmmm....

Hmmm...2.3% is a lot. Enough to offset a lot of the wheel inefficiencies, but somehow the Performance has a significantly lower mileage rating. Hmmm....
The increased downforce will reduce range by increasing the tire's rolling resistance.

So there's less wind drag but more wheel drag. Will need someone much smarter than me to figure out which one will have a bigger impact on your range.

I use the interior handle to pull down, and then just push down on the spoiler gently. If I'm REALLY good, the handle is all I need, if I get it far enough pulled down that gravity does the rest. This depends on how your struts behave, and also the build of the car. My friend's Model 3 has a much stiffer trunk, so it needs a much firmer press - even after replacing the struts.

Closing and securely latching the trunk on my Model 3 has always been a bit awkward using only the interior handle and I'd usually still have to press down on the spoiler to insure a solid latch closure. This product - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H4JVDKA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- has made closing the trunk easy, and best of all, you never have to put your hands or fingers on the spoiler.
81SIA8txWlL._SL1500_.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms
Closing and securely latching the trunk on my Model 3 has always been a bit awkward using only the interior handle and I'd usually still have to press down on the spoiler to insure a solid latch closure. This product - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H4JVDKA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- has made closing the trunk easy, and best of all, you never have to put your hands or fingers on the spoiler. View attachment 511799

Interesting. Does the trough collect dirt?

Closing and securely latching the trunk on my Model 3 has always been a bit awkward using only the interior handle and I'd usually still have to press down on the spoiler to insure a solid latch closure. This product - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H4JVDKA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1- has made closing the trunk easy, and best of all, you never have to put your hands or fingers on the spoiler. View attachment 511799

I have something like that that from rpmtesla actually. I didn’t like putting pressure on those mounting screws, so I removed it.

The increased downforce will reduce range by increasing the tire's rolling resistance.

So there's less wind drag but more wheel drag. Will need someone much smarter than me to figure out which one will have a bigger impact on your range.
Actually, more downforce increases the efficiency of the transfer of power from the rear motor to the pavement. It acts like vortex generators on an aircraft wing which reduces drag. The problem is that for any of this to matter you have to be driving at high speeds - speeds well beyond the most efficient speeds for getting the optimal range. So ultimately, car spoilers are about increasing performance, not about increasing efficiency. Throw in some big 20" rims and there goes your range.

BUT, damn it looks good at 120 mph shaming Mercedes Benz S65 drivers who wish to test their skill but only end up testing their own shame...err..ahem...sorry, I digress. It seems to keep my rear clean - of other cars getting anywhere near me.

Last edited: