TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does a standard 80" door fit in a Model 3? No problem.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by beacham, Jul 4, 2018.

1. beacham

beacham New Member

Went to pick up a standard 80" door in my Model 3 today. I was a little worried but turned out very satisfied! Still had plenty of room for the wife and some groceries. Model3_door_back.jpg model3_door_side.jpg

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. m3tx

m3tx Member

Can the front seat fold in any way? I sometimes have to buy some 2x4x8' but looks like 96" might be a bit too long for this, unless risking having them an inch from the screen

3. beacham

beacham New Member

I don't think it can fold. However, I actually had to put the passenger seat back a few inches to prop the door up on the top of it. Seems like you could prop up a 96" board similar to the way I did it but to the side of the headrest instead. Not sure how you'd keep them from falling down into the middle- maybe a bungee cord around the head rest?

4. Butane

Butane Member

Glad it fits doors. I learned the hard way this past weekend that new-in-box Kohler toilets will not fit. :D

• Funny x 1
  5. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Member

#5 M0DEL³, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    I agree that is a "Fit", but think I disagree that that is a "No Problem Fit".

This is closer to a no problem fit... Would give you the edge in the event of a heavy rain, but he gets bonus points for including the whole frame... ;)

Well done on the packing though.

I think I'd be screaming "Roof Rack" before I'd do too much Door Smuggling in a Model 3.

6. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

You could have left the wife at the store and come back the next day to pick her up.

• Funny x 1
  7. SouthBayGuy

SouthBayGuy Member

Nice to know one can fit an entire door completely inside the car. I think if I had multiple doors, I would place the doors flat and let them protrude out the trunk.

8. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Member

Which begs the question, "Will the Model 3 shift into drive with the trunk open?" and if, so does it have any sort of speed throttling if the trunk is not latched? (Think tied down above a stack of protruding doors.] I assume you get a nag at the least?

9. SouthBayGuy

SouthBayGuy Member

I decided to test this. I was able to drive the car with the trunk open. Initially, the car will chime and give a message on the screen. The chiming will stop but the reminder that the trunk is open will remain. I have not tried this at high speeds. But I don't expect any problems.

10. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Wife was in the frunk. Apparently. :D