Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does a standard 80" door fit in a Model 3? No problem.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to pick up a standard 80" door in my Model 3 today. I was a little worried but turned out very satisfied! Still had plenty of room for the wife and some groceries.
Model3_door_back.jpg
model3_door_side.jpg

Can the front seat fold in any way? I sometimes have to buy some 2x4x8' but looks like 96" might be a bit too long for this, unless risking having them an inch from the screen
I don't think it can fold. However, I actually had to put the passenger seat back a few inches to prop the door up on the top of it. Seems like you could prop up a 96" board similar to the way I did it but to the side of the headrest instead. Not sure how you'd keep them from falling down into the middle- maybe a bungee cord around the head rest?

Went to pick up a standard 80" door in my Model 3 today...

I agree that is a "Fit", but think I disagree that that is a "No Problem Fit".

This is closer to a no problem fit... Would give you the edge in the event of a heavy rain, but he gets bonus points for including the whole frame... ;)

Well done on the packing though.

I think I'd be screaming "Roof Rack" before I'd do too much Door Smuggling in a Model 3.

Last edited:
Nice to know one can fit an entire door completely inside the car. I think if I had multiple doors, I would place the doors flat and let them protrude out the trunk.

Which begs the question, "Will the Model 3 shift into drive with the trunk open?" and if, so does it have any sort of speed throttling if the trunk is not latched? (Think tied down above a stack of protruding doors.] I assume you get a nag at the least?

Which begs the question, "Will the Model 3 shift into drive with the trunk open?" and if, so does it have any sort of speed throttling if the trunk is not latched? (Think tied down above a stack of protruding doors.] I assume you get a nag at the least?

I decided to test this. I was able to drive the car with the trunk open. Initially, the car will chime and give a message on the screen. The chiming will stop but the reminder that the trunk is open will remain. I have not tried this at high speeds. But I don't expect any problems.