Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does a top of windshield screen exist...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly the top of the X’s windshield gets a ton of sun when driving in it head on.

Does a top half front windshield exist that can be used while driving? If not, has anyone applied more tint to that upper half?

Wearing sunglasses helps but there are times it’s quite a bit of major sun in your face & eyes. The small visors don’t do jack.

D99BCA19-9FCE-45C8-BCFC-E7561ED5940E.jpeg

My used 2018 100D included one as well. I thought everyone had those and they came with the car...
Wasn’t in the used one I picked up a week ago. I see them in the pics of some of the used inventory on the Tesla site but the previous owner chose to keep it (perhaps his/her new one didn’t have one?). They pop up on eBay occasionally (there’s 2 on there now) but I ordered a knock-off one from Amazon that is supposed to arrive today. I’ll respond with a quick review of it on this thread as soon as I try it out. If it’s decent, I’ll also post a link.

Same thing here, my X (which I bought private party) did not come with one either. I made an appt with the Tesla Service Center to see if they can provide one (for cost or not).

@ Kentucky 3 - report back on yours that you purchased once you get some time with it.

Reactions: KentuckyX
Same thing here, my X (which I bought private party) did not come with one either. I made an appt with the Tesla Service Center to see if they can provide one (for cost or not).

@ Kentucky 3 - report back on yours that you purchased once you get some time with it.
Okay...got the Amazon one this afternoon and installed. The build quality is okay. The ad is kinda misleading in that it seems to imply there are clips to hold it in place - there are not. The Model 3 shades from Tesla have clips that hold them flush against the roof glass. This one does not but does seem to form fit the glass pretty good. The fit around the camera housing for rear view mirror is a bit of a mismatch. Maybe the AP1 Model X has a smaller footprint there? The mesh material and metal framework seems to be of decent quality and it has a storage bag that seems as nice as the Model 3's bag I had. This one is $56, which I'm sure is cheaper than the Tesla X one (I wouldn't know, though, since I can't find it online). It's better than nothing at all but I would think the Tesla OEM one would be a bit better. Since I don't have, nor have ever seen, a Model X sunshade, I just can't say for sure. Here's the link to the Amazon one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QCN4YS9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Okay...got the Amazon one this afternoon and installed. The build quality is okay. The ad is kinda misleading in that it seems to imply there are clips to hold it in place - there are not. The Model 3 shades from Tesla have clips that hold them flush against the roof glass. This one does not but does seem to form fit the glass pretty good. The fit around the camera housing for rear view mirror is a bit of a mismatch. Maybe the AP1 Model X has a smaller footprint there? The mesh material and metal framework seems to be of decent quality and it has a storage bag that seems as nice as the Model 3's bag I had. This one is $56, which I'm sure is cheaper than the Tesla X one (I wouldn't know, though, since I can't find it online). It's better than nothing at all but I would think the Tesla OEM one would be a bit better. Since I don't have, nor have ever seen, a Model X sunshade, I just can't say for sure. Here's the link to the Amazon one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QCN4YS9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thx for the info! I’ll keep an eye on this one pending what the local Tesla service center has in stock.

What did you search for? I’m desperately looking for something to give me some shade on my used MX!

Clearly the top of the X’s windshield gets a ton of sun when driving in it head on.

Does a top half front windshield exist that can be used while driving? If not, has anyone applied more tint to that upper half?

Wearing sunglasses helps but there are times it’s quite a bit of major sun in your face & eyes. The small visors don’t do jack.

After I found myself leaving the sun shade on all the time so I did get tint applied only to the top part. I added 20% tint. It's been great! Picture here: https/teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2782600/

i have an appointment with the local Tesla service center tomorrow. the specific part number is: 1078354-00-B.

i made the appointment via the Tesla app earlier this week and I got an email this AM that the part is arriving today at the service center. i believe the next email is what the cost will be for it.

ill try this screen out before considering the tint option.