TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does AC come on automatically during Supercharging when really hot out?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by gg_got_a_tesla, May 27, 2014.

1. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I was at the Gilroy SC on Monday at around 2 pm after a drive up Hwy 101 from Atascadero. It was close to 100 degrees outside when I plugged the car in and walked away. The mobile app showed an interior temp of 113 degrees soon after.

Now, I swear I didn't touch the temperature setting in the mobile app at all but, when checking on the car in the mobile app again 5 minutes later, I saw the interior temp reading to be 'only' 100 deg and with the AC on (with the setting at my preferred 68 deg)!

What gives? Did the battery get too hot from the driving, the supercharging and the ambient heat? And, the AC was turned on automatically by the BMS to cool it down? I thought that there were other fans (which I've heard the cacophony of, in the past) to do that kind of cooling?!

Another 5 minutes later, as the charge rate ramped down to 40-odd kW, the AC had auto-turned-off and the interior temp was climbing once again...

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

More likely that you glitched the mobile app in some way and sent the order to turn on the AC when you checked it.

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Yes. The BMS will use the A/C compressor to keep the batteries cool doing Supercharging, particularly at first when starting at a low state of charge when the charge current is highest.

4. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

How does this account for his temps rising once again toward the end?

5. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

If he did start it with an app command, the climate control turns itself off after 30 minutes or so.

6. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Ahh yes. Distinct possibility. thanks.

7. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

No, the climate control shut off only 5 minutes or so later; mentioned in the original post. I may have glitched the mobile app twice then!

8. LMB

LMB Member

(LMB spouse)

Also, the interior temperature reading (at least in LMB"s car) varies widely and often seems too high. I suspect that the sensor placement (early 2013 car) is not very good and even turning on the fan briefly can change the reading a lot. I worried about it at first, but now I'm used to it.

9. iffatall

iffatall Member

When you open the Android app, it first says "Contacting Car, this may take a few minutes" or something similar, with a waiting circle rotating at the center of the screen. When this wait is going on, all buttons behind are active. For example, if you switch to the Controls tab, approximate the location of the Honk button had the app already connected, and tap there, the car will honk as soon as it connects. I once accidentally stopped charging my car in the middle of the night by accidentally tapping the region where the button was about to appear. I figured what I did when I woke up in the morning, and the car had not charged.

Since then, I am always extremely careful to stay away from the empty region of the screen when the app is trying to connect, making sure I do not touch/tap anywhere.