Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does aftermarket paint peel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone put a couple of 1/4" scratches into my rear bumper.

I tried Dr. Color Chip and the results are less than stellar.

The local certified body shop quoted me $600 to remove the bumper, sand it down, and respray. I assume this means they will take it down to primer, respray and then reapply clear coat?

A friend is telling me that aftermarket paint jobs like this are lower quality than factory jobs and the paint will peel.

Any thoughts?

The local certified body shop quoted me $600 to remove the bumper, sand it down, and respray. I assume this means they will take it down to primer, respray and then reapply clear coat?

A friend is telling me that aftermarket paint jobs like this are lower quality than factory jobs and the paint will peel.

Any thoughts?
Base-coat clear-coat after factory can be the same quality as from the factory, lower quality or even superior, depending on the brand base paint and clear used. If done by a quality shop it should be just as good as original. They will repair the damage area, sand the bumper, seal, paint the damaged area, blend the paint to help make the colors match and clear the bumper.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

Nonsense. The paint will not peel if the work is done by a high quality shop. Maaco is not that place:)

Aftermarket paint in general is not as durable as factory paint. This is not so much about the materials used, but the consistency of prepping, priming, and painting of the bodyshop. Most bodyshops only do average work, which is why the quality is generally not as good as factory paint where it is done with robotics.

If you are looking to getting aftermarket paint done, make sure to take it to a shop that is known for quality paint work.

Overall the years and little touch ups and whatnot, I never had to worry about peeling it has always been about the drips, overspray and color match. Color match on the Red Metallic was a bitch on one of my old cars. The plastic bumpers tend not to match to begin with and then having some random Shop try to match it can be disappointing if you're picky.

If you're just getting a bumper re-sprayed there is no need to go to a Tesla certified shop. Any good shop will have no problem respraying a Tesla bumper. Only need a Tesla shop if there is structural damage.

I'd prefer if they were familiar with Tesla's so there is no problem with the electronics/sensors they might have to detach when removing the bumper. Regardless, would appreciate recs for a good quality body shop in SoCal that does work regularly on Tesla's.