Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does any else regret buying a Model X?

Do you regret buying a Model X!

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • Have not received my Model X

Votes: 45 63.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure it is my service center which is the problem or Tesla. I have seen some videos where when a person picked up their New Tesla Model c the SC had a red carpet and all of the employees clapped. This was to make the customer feel Tesla appreciated their business and these SCs seem to understand the importance of customer service. I am sure some people have picked up their Tesla Model with no delays and no problems.
I have never felt appreciated at my SC. I have not even felt they cared one way or another that I purchased the car from Tesla. My service center is 65 miles away from my house and the next closest one is 100 miles away. I have had many expensive cars during my life, none was $155k, but several over $100k. I have never regretted those purchases. I don't even remember having to take any of these in for repair accept for normal maintenance and service recalls.
I hope things get better for you. These two paragraphs stuck out to me.

I've seen those videos and pictures as well. Red carpets and bows and so forth. Hats, jackets, or mugs as thanks. That kind of thing. I picked my Model S up at the factory hoping for only a picture of my car with the red Tesla wall in the background. I got a delivery under a white backyard pop-up tent instead of the delivery center, a 30 second walk-through, and a 'see ya later.' No goodies. I couldn't even get the car out of the tent it was parked so close to the poles and I was unfamiliar with the car and afraid to scratch it. Having a delivery cancelled after signing is worse, but there are others who have had terrible deliveries.

Regarding the SC, I hope that gets better. I've had good luck with mine, and they've been helpful and friendly. Awhile back they staffed up heavily with people from traditional dealerships (which makes sense), but that seemed to coincide with a general decline in service. I haven't been in recently to judge for myself (my annual is next week), but I hope it's better than your experience.

Best of luck getting this taken care of.

Reactions: Darryl
image.jpeg
My SC delivered the car back to where they picked it up today. It was suppose to be yesterday but they told me they didn't have anyone to follow them to bring them back to the SC. Every time I have been at the SC there has been a lot of people just standing around. It is not like they are real busy. In three months they have only delivered maybe three production X's. To have a customer wait an extra day because they didn't have anyone to give them a ride back to the SC is not good customer service. They could have taken a cab. It is only seven miles. I am just glad I have "her" back or at least in the hands of my detailer.

• Informative
Reactions: Auzie and madodel
I wish I had never purchased a Tesla Model X P90DL.

Purchasing a Tesla was suppose to be a great experience. Up until now I was ok with the three year delay as I was going to get one of the best car ever made.

My car arrived at the SC the first week of February and I was scheduled to pick it up a week later. One of the first production cars off the line.

I then got a call saying there was going to be a delay because a computer module had to be replaced. It was causing the lights to flicker. I felt a sickness in my stomach but realize there are occasionally problem with any car.

The repair took another ten days and I was rescheduled to pick up the car the following week. I was a little less happy with Tesla but since I was still getting my car in February and since there are others who have had horror stories I was ok with it. When I went to pick it up I found some minor problems but in all it was ok. All the paperwork was signed and I was waiting for them to charge it enough so we could get home. I was thinking to my self I am finally going to get my Tesla then my DS came out and told me I wasn't going to be able to take it as they found a cracked charging port. I was a lot less happy with Tesla.

Ten days later they rescheduled delivery. Our appointment was at 1PM and the car wasn't ready until 3:45PM as it needed a software download. My DS was busy with another customer and then we were told she was on the phone. We never even saw her the 3:00 hours we were there waiting for the car. Why they couldn't upgrade the software before we got there I am not sure. Finally I had my car and I had a feeling of relief as I had never thought this day would come. My opinion of Tesla was a lot less than two months earlier but It was still ok.

I drove it seven miles to the Detailer to get an XPEL coating. Even though I had reported the problem with seal leaking around driver's window it still wasn't fixed. On Saturday the Detailer starting to prep the car. Sunday morning the Detailer called saying the driver door wouldn't stay closed, the lock wouldn't engage. I called Tesla and because it was the weekend they said the SC would call me first thing Monday morning. Since no one had called by 10:30 I called them.p, again poor customer service. They sent someone out by noon. They called around 1pm saying there was a faulty locking mechanism and they would have to order the parts. This means another ten days without the car. My opinion of Tesla was dropping fast.

You don't expect these kind of problems when you buy a $155k car. You don't expect these kinds of problems when you buy a $30k new car.

I am not sure it is my service center which is the problem or Tesla. I have seen some videos where when a person picked up their New Tesla Model c the SC had a red carpet and all of the employees clapped. This was to make the customer feel Tesla appreciated their business and these SCs seem to understand the importance of customer service. I am sure some people have picked up their Tesla Model with no delays and no problems.

I have never felt appreciated at my SC. I have not even felt they cared one way or another that I purchased the car from Tesla. My service center is 65 miles away from my house and the next closest one is 100 miles away. I have had many expensive cars during my life, none was $155k, but several over $100k. I have never regretted those purchases. I don't even remember having to take any of these in for repair accept for normal maintenance and service recalls.

At this point I regret purchasing the Tesla as I am not sure it is going to be a reliable car. Where we had a buyer for our Jaguar XJ8 I decidedi today not to sell it as I can't afford to be without a car.

I decided enough was enough and called my SC and ask for the service manager. I found out the service manager position was vacant and the Manager in Tampa was covering for both centers. I called and he was not available. I was told he would call me back. Based on my experience with Tesla so far I was expecting him not to call back but an hour later he called. He was very nice and took all the information. He did say what had happened with all of these issues shouldnt be happening. He is suppose to call me back this afternoon with an update.

At this point I regret buying the Tesla. this may change over time but that is how I currently feel. This is coming from a person who owns a considerable amount of Tesla stock.

Have you looked into your state's lemon laws?

@ Daryll ....There seems to be a common sequence with the drivers door issue -- It is reported in this thread -- Driver door won't open or close completely. All the problems seem to occur at the detail shop where the door is open for extended time. The fix is also listed since the door looses its calibration being open more than 30 mins. The procedure to for the driver to calibrate the door is in the thread... several report that it works and only takes a few mins.

Since your X was returned to the detail shop, the door issue may recur if they leave the door open for an extended time again. Just to make you aware, if not already.

@ Daryll ....There seems to be a common sequence with the drivers door issue -- It is reported in this thread -- Driver door won't open or close completely. All the problems seem to occur at the detail shop where the door is open for extended time. The fix is also listed since the door looses its calibration being open more than 30 mins. The procedure to for the driver to calibrate the door is in the thread... several report that it works and only takes a few mins.

Since your X was returned to the detail shop, the door issue may recur if they leave the door open for an extended time again. Just to make you aware, if not already.

@Daryll ..1+ that, infact during Meet the Model X event one of the Tesla service person said the exact same thing and one of the Models had the all the doors disabled and kept open for inspection by the invitees to the Event. Also the Key fob would discharge if kept close by in the detail shop , just a FYI , you have been through this so much you may know all this.

I wish I had never purchased a Tesla Model X P90DL.

Purchasing a Tesla was suppose to be a great experience. Up until now I was ok with the three year delay as I was going to get one of the best car ever made.

My car arrived at the SC the first week of February and I was scheduled to pick it up a week later. One of the first production cars off the line.

I then got a call saying there was going to be a delay because a computer module had to be replaced. It was causing the lights to flicker. I felt a sickness in my stomach but realize there are occasionally problem with any car.

The repair took another ten days and I was rescheduled to pick up the car the following week. I was a little less happy with Tesla but since I was still getting my car in February and since there are others who have had horror stories I was ok with it. When I went to pick it up I found some minor problems but in all it was ok. All the paperwork was signed and I was waiting for them to charge it enough so we could get home. I was thinking to my self I am finally going to get my Tesla then my DS came out and told me I wasn't going to be able to take it as they found a cracked charging port. I was a lot less happy with Tesla.

Ten days later they rescheduled delivery. Our appointment was at 1PM and the car wasn't ready until 3:45PM as it needed a software download. My DS was busy with another customer and then we were told she was on the phone. We never even saw her the 3:00 hours we were there waiting for the car. Why they couldn't upgrade the software before we got there I am not sure. Finally I had my car and I had a feeling of relief as I had never thought this day would come. My opinion of Tesla was a lot less than two months earlier but It was still ok.

I drove it seven miles to the Detailer to get an XPEL coating. Even though I had reported the problem with seal leaking around driver's window it still wasn't fixed. On Saturday the Detailer starting to prep the car. Sunday morning the Detailer called saying the driver door wouldn't stay closed, the lock wouldn't engage. I called Tesla and because it was the weekend they said the SC would call me first thing Monday morning. Since no one had called by 10:30 I called them.p, again poor customer service. They sent someone out by noon. They called around 1pm saying there was a faulty locking mechanism and they would have to order the parts. This means another ten days without the car. My opinion of Tesla was dropping fast.

You don't expect these kind of problems when you buy a $155k car. You don't expect these kinds of problems when you buy a $30k new car.

At this point I regret purchasing the Tesla as I am not sure it is going to be a reliable car. Where we had a buyer for our Jaguar XJ8 I decidedi today not to sell it as I can't afford to be without a car.

I decided enough was enough and called my SC and ask for the service manager. I found out the service manager position was vacant and the Manager in Tampa was covering for both centers. I called and he was not available. I was told he would call me back. Based on my experience with Tesla so far I was expecting him not to call back but an hour later he called. He was very nice and took all the information. He did say what had happened with all of these issues shouldnt be happening. He is suppose to call me back this afternoon with an update.

At this point I regret buying the Tesla. this may change over time but that is how I currently feel. This is coming from a person who owns a considerable amount of Tesla stock.

Wow! Sounds like a very very horrible experience thus far. My only experience so far has been positive. In fact, I recently received notice that my X may be ahead of schedule. I was hoping that production would be a little slower after reading all the issues with the latest cars off the production line. Fingers crossed.

Of the owners who took delivery recently, are there still issues with the falcon wing doors closing properly? I met a Model X owner recently and he was gracious enough to show me some of the ins and outs of his car. When he got to the rear doors, it took about 4 tries before the door would close properly. That worried me a bit, which is what prompted me to seek more answers on here.

Of the owners who took delivery recently, are there still issues with the falcon wing doors closing properly? I met a Model X owner recently and he was gracious enough to show me some of the ins and outs of his car. When he got to the rear doors, it took about 4 tries before the door would close properly. That worried me a bit, which is what prompted me to seek more answers on here.

During my Test drive ...There were rain drops on the roof of the Red Model X. Once the FWD opened up water dripped on the second row seats, these are perforated seats, I was concerned, so was the Tesla Rep. I sat in the second row and moved over to the adjacent seat, I opened the FWD from inside to see what happens, my thigh got wet, it was dripping from previously accumulated rain drops., I thought it was acceptable, have to be conscious when it rains or snows, I don’t know how it will affect the perforated seats as these get heated and ventilated. The FWD on passenger side only half opened, had to mind my head.
IMO: Second rows seats movement and FWD have their own mind. if these issues are persistent in the Test Drive vehicles, which apparently were fixed, I really don’t know what to comment.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd
During my Test drive ...There were rain drops on the roof of the Red Model X. Once the FWD opened up water dripped on the second row seats, these are perforated seats, I was concerned, so was the Tesla Rep. I sat in the second row and moved over to the adjacent seat, I opened the FWD from inside to see what happens, my thigh got wet, it was dripping from previously accumulated rain drops., I thought it was acceptable, have to be conscious when it rains or snows, I don’t know how it will affect the perforated seats as these get heated and ventilated. The FWD on passenger side only half opened, had to mind my head.
IMO: Second rows seats movement and FWD have their own mind. if these issues are persistent in the Test Drive vehicles, which apparently were fixed, I really don’t know what to comment.
Thanks for the insight. It has been raining a lot recently so it is worrisome. When the Model X owner demonstrated the Falcon door for me, the door kept stopping about 3qtrs way down, and twice seem to overlap the rear fender as it failed to close. He had not seen this happen often as he rarely has passengers. He took delivery in February. My original delivery date was a few months out, but I received notice that production may be completed as early as the first week of April. Keeping my fingers crossed on this. I've been such a satisfied Model S owner, I'm hoping this will be the same.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd
Of the owners who took delivery recently, are there still issues with the falcon wing doors closing properly?

None, and they have gotten a huge workout. First of all, it's the soccer carpool-mobile, so in and out several times a day, with a car packed with kids. First time I took it to the kids' school, about 20 kids swarmed it and opened and closed ALL the doors in the car (including trunk and frunk) dozens of times. I literally let them crawl all over the car for 30 minutes, pressing any button they wanted except "drive". The sensors got a stress test as well, and everything performed brilliantly.

I found the car flawless, but I'm also not as detail-focused as other people. So unless it was a glaring problem, I'd probably miss it. Now we're getting rain tonight and tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to testing out the seals to see if any water gets into the car when the doors are open. (Soccer practice isn't cancelled because of rain.)

• Informative
Reactions: Mclark and mikevbf