Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody know the requirements for the car to open the HV battery contactors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I want to drive off, open the doors like usual but all screens where black, so I measure the 12V battery, 12.02V.

So then I know the DC/DC didn't want to charge the 12V battery. So i put a battery charger to the 12V battery and so the car waked up with some fault messages. I will post those errors in a few minutes but I cannot make any sense from them.

Things I found out:

- I don't hear the contactors 'clicking' when pushing the brake pedal or open the chargeport.
- I can open the cargeport but it won't let me charge the car (the actuator of the charge port isn't engaging)

So then i was wondering, how can I figure out why he is not open his contactors when there is enough power on the 12V battery? Also i find it strange that I cannot charge the car. (HV battery is 80% SoC)

Has someone any idea where to search? Off course I can bring it to Tesla but I first want to try a few things before they suck my wallet dry.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200515_103428.jpg
    20200515_103428.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 399
You could try a full restart by pressing and holding the brake and both scroll wheels for 10 seconds, then release them. After the center screen restarts, do the same for the top two buttons on both sides of the steering wheel, above the scroll wheels. This will restart the left screen.

If that doesn't work, try also keeping the 12 V charging for at least another two hours and try the above steps again.

You can schedule an appointment through the app and fully explain the issue. It might be a free repair since your car should have a valid battery and drivetrain warranty (8 year / unlimited miles for the Model S 85).

Hope you get everything with the car back to normal soon!

You could try a full restart by pressing and holding the brake and both scroll wheels for 10 seconds, then release them. After the center screen restarts, do the same for the top two buttons on both sides of the steering wheel, above the scroll wheels. This will restart the left screen.

If that doesn't work, try also keeping the 12 V charging for at least another two hours and try the above steps again.

You can schedule an appointment through the app and fully explain the issue. It might be a free repair since your car should have a valid battery and drivetrain warranty (8 year / unlimited miles for the Model S 85).

Hope you get everything with the car back to normal soon!

Thanks for all hints, I kept the 12V charger all day on. Also did a reset like you mentioned and also a hard reset with disconnecting the HV loop and 12V battery. Also checked all fuses under the hood.

Car still has 8 year warranty (2015) but I want to be sure the problem is inside the pack.

I called Tesla road service to see if they can check the fault memory and they came to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the high voltage interlocking loop. (HVIL) They think the issue is inside the HV battery but not 100% sure.

My car died. After talking to so many on help desk, a female told me I needed a "super" jump to get 12v system to wake up. I asked that as? She said a big truck which put out 14.5 volts. I called my tow truck back. He connected with 14.8v. 30 minutes later my car woke up. He stayed connected for an hour. My 12v battery went to 14.5v. I then super charged, has not happened since. Oh, this was Thanksgiving in NC. They never were able to tell me what triggered the loss of 12v.

After some research I found out that the HVIL is nothing more then a control wire true all HV components and connectors.

When resistance of this connection is to high the contactors will not close and I think this is my issue.
I have nearly the same car and same problem this last week. Replaced 12v to no avail. Found I can start and drive the car, but have to shore charge the 12v north of 14v, the quickly get in, turn off lights and press brake pedal.

Car is fixed, SeC installed a new drive unit, HVIL loop inside rear drive unit failed.

So what did I learned from this experience..

If there is a bad connection inside the HVIL loop the contactors will not close and nothing on HV is working including your DC/DC converter. So you need a jump start before road assistance can OTA check your car.

Also you cannot charge the car because your contactors aren't closing and charge port actuator isn't engaging.

SeC also told me that the connector of the HV pack can be sort of the same issue but that is o.k. for now.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne
Car is fixed, SeC installed a new drive unit, HVIL loop inside rear drive unit failed.

So what did I learned from this experience..

If there is a bad connection inside the HVIL loop the contactors will not close and nothing on HV is working including your DC/DC converter. So you need a jump start before road assistance can OTA check your car.

Also you cannot charge the car because your contactors aren't closing and charge port actuator isn't engaging.

SeC also told me that the connector of the HV pack can be sort of the same issue but that is o.k. for now.

I have the same symptoms, but the SeC can't seem to figure it out! Actually told me to come get the car, and I found it dead!

So I left a copy of the HVIL service bulletin on the windshield.

Still have a MX 75D loaner, so it it not all bad.

I have the same symptoms, but the SeC can't seem to figure it out! Actually told me to come get the car, and I found it dead!

So I left a copy of the HVIL service bulletin on the windshield.

Still have a MX 75D loaner, so it it not all bad.

Reminds me of a time I was sick for two months and the doctor refused time-after-time to give me antibiotics. Said that I had a "virus" and that the antibiotics did nothing. Didn't do any testing, didn't seem to care at all. I found some antibiotics around the house and they worked. Then he agreed to prescribe more.

Reminds me of a time I was sick for two months and the doctor refused time-after-time to give me antibiotics. Said that I had a "virus" and that the antibiotics did nothing. Didn't do any testing, didn't seem to care at all. I found some antibiotics around the house and they worked. Then he agreed to prescribe more.

Unfortunately, I did not have a spare set of HV contactors laying around....

For medical, there is always the mayo clinic website. For Tesla, there is only the forums...and your desire/ability to get things done right...

Unfortunately, I did not have a spare set of HV contactors laying around....

For medical, there is always the mayo clinic website. For Tesla, there is only the forums...and your desire/ability to get things done right...

I still needed the prescription to get more. I was only a small supply.

Auto-repair is another good example of the "patient helping the doctor" "customer helping the auto-mechanic" situation. I'm sure there are more, but can't think of anything. Don't get me stated with RadioShack employees. "can I help you..." "I'm looking for a firewire cable" "a what...." "its over here, I'll buy it".

Reactions: aerodyne
I still needed the prescription to get more. I was only a small supply.

Auto-repair is another good example of the "patient helping the doctor" "customer helping the auto-mechanic" situation. I'm sure there are more, but can't think of anything. Don't get me stated with RadioShack employees. "can I help you..." "I'm looking for a firewire cable" "a what...." "its over here, I'll buy it".

Ahh.... I almost forgot about the drones at radio shack, a store that won't be missed. Mouser and Digikey are the ticket now...