Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody NOT wrap their cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2012 Signature Red P85 had the $950 partial wrap done by Tesla. Worked well to reduce damage over the 65,000 miles but a few rock hits in non-wrapped areas need some touchup. Had the Sig Red 2016 X wrapped front and back. Cost $650 to replace the front piece after a small scratch at the SC. Conclusion: the easy to scratch black appliqués on top should have been wrapped before they got scratched! Replacing the wraps after damage is less costly than repainting or replacing appliqués. The question is how concerned the owner is about the appearance of the vehicle and what conditions the vehicle is being used.

Now I am debating about wrapping the 2017 Multicoat Red. I figure why not spend the $5,000 on gasoline for the ICE SUV during cross country trips and lower the mileage on the 90D. Local usage in SoCal was only a fraction of cross country damage with the 2012 P85. Who knows, I might end up trading-in for Model III and Tesla isn't going to increase the trade-in value with wrap. The authorized body shop that is handling a windshield replacement for the 2012 did suggest to wrap the 2017 front bumper due to the flat surface.

What I would really like is for Tesla to optionally add SunTek wrap to the hood and large front plastic piece as part of the manufacturing process at a lower cost than custom aftermarket locations. SunTek has a more glass like appearance.

In regard to SC washes, I compared the microfine scratches at delivery in March and after the first vehicle service. I told them NOT to wash, but they forgot even with "NO WASH" written on the paperwork. The scratches were doubled! Waxing does help correct those microfine scratches. Our local Tesla group took lessons in how to wash our Teslas from Glistening Perfection. Using the right methods does prevent scratches. Some service centers are known for their well scratched loaners, that's how we learned to say, "DO NOT WASH".

Last edited:
Here is what an installer of PPF posted in a Nissan GTR forum, a great informative read IMO (this might be a bit dated though 2014):

As someone who has installed and is an authorized installer for Nano-Fusion, Xpel Ultimate, Suntek and 3m clear bra films, I will suggest you think outside of the marketing box.

While Nano-Fusion has a lifetime warranty and Xpel Ultimate has a 10 year warranty, I believe you should consider the films usable lifespan rather than what a warranty covers. Warranties do not protect you from wear and tear of the film. Over years of use the film will get damaged by rock impacts, bug marks that were not cleaned off immediately, bird droppings left on too long and/or staining from lack of cleaning or protection. A better question will be what film provides the best protection during a reasonable and usable life and looks the best while it does it?

Here is my breakdown and experience with the biggest name films in the USA.

3m/Ventureshield: stay away from it. 3m sent Venture down the toilet after they purchased it. 3m scotchguard sucks just as much if not worse. The adhesives are terrible and the exposed surface is insanely prone to marring and scratches.

Nano-Fusion: Best chemical resistance(think bug marks, bird droppings and acid rain). Installer-friendly adhesive and stretchability. The last formula I used had more texture than I would be happy offering paying customers. "Limited Lifetime Warranty" is offered.

Suntek top coated self-healing film: Looks just as good as Xpel Ultimate and in some cases better(not every roll is the same from any manufacturer). Quality is top notch with fewer manufacturer defects that I spot. Best adhesive in my experience, which equates to a better installation. The best and quickest at rectifying manufacturer problems with film(install enough from anyone and you get stuff that slipped through QA). Best pricepoint. The self-healing attributes absolutely work amazingly and just as good as Xpel Ultimate. 5-year warranty.

Xpel Ultimate: Tied with Suntek on looks. Works as advertised. Adhesive is too aggressive and can lead to working marks where Suntek or Nano would not. Customer service is not quite as good as Suntek -though that may be because my distributor handles my claims with Suntek and stuff gets done fast(overnight a 40 pound box from the northeast to me in Atlanta? No problem for them). I have been having issues with Xpel Ultimate's film being as defect free as you would expect from the most expensive film on the market.

The bottom line for me is that I believe Suntek hits the mark for most car owners. Their product is priced competitively while providing just as high quality, if not higher, as anyone else. True, they do not offer a 10-year or lifetime warranty. But if you're driving your car and the film is taking a beating, will you be happy with how it looks in 6 years? Unlikely. View the film as a wear and tear protection for the paint on your valuable car. I know someone else who tells their Xpel Ultimate clients that they should expect to replace it in 5 years regardless of what Xpel says. He understands what the products real world lifespan is and shares it with his clients. Xpel and CCL(the company that manufactures Nano-Fusion) know that playing the numbers means 95% of car owners will sell their car well before 10 years or a lifetime is up and that warranty will not need to be honored when the film is cracking and falling apart and making a nightmare for a car owner. The law of thermodynamics proves that if it gets used, it will age.

With all that said, if I were looking for the most resilient film, looks aside, I would get Nano-Fusion. Though, if I were not isolating this to just my view on clear bras alone. Suntek with a coating like CQuartz Finest on top of it provides a lot of chemical resistance as well and is a fine option which would offer the best looks and stellar chem resistance.

I know Xpel Ultimate is big in the community and I am not saying that Xpel Ultimate is garbage and any of you have wasted your money. I am providing the viewpoint of a professional who actually has installed all of those films over the years. For everyone, the bottom line is if you're happy with your purchase, you made the right one.

I have literally scratched mine off with my fingernail. Yes it's that bad. Almost as if parts of the car are missing clear coat. Not too happy about it.

When i got my car, I asked the nearest authorized Tesla body shop about paint protection, and he basically said what EarlyAdopter and others above have said, namely that it is more cost-effective to pay for repairs than for the wrap up front. He also said that the Tesla paint is not soft. Given what everyone else says, it makes me wonder about the body shop, but in any case I took his advice and have not had too many problems. But -- full disclosure -- I did have an encounter with a snowbank that left scratches that appear to be through the clear coat, so I will have to deal with those. Wrap might have protected it, don't really know.

If you can, have the detailer place a sample piece on your vehicle. They did that with Xpel and SunTek. While Xpel is more protective, the SunTek featured less wavy reflections when walking by and viewing the sample. The end result when wrapping around the edges was magnificent. It looked like a thicker coat of clear coat and made the original paint look better.

My Model X seems to have a beacon that draws all bugs to run into the front bumper. I'd much rather scrape the bug corpses off the xpel film than the unprotected paint.

IMG_8755.JPG

75k miles on my black 2014 Model S with no wrap. Still looks beautiful until you get really close and see some very small rock dings. I live in CT where the town and state intentionally throw salt and sand on the road all winter long. I wash the car myself. I don't buy into the "Tesla paint is softer comments". The paint is low VOC but has clear coat over it. Just ordered a replacement 100D. Black. Not going to be wrapped.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
If you are looking for a reason to wrap your Tesla, take a look at what has happened to the flared portion of the FWD's on
my MX in one year. I wrapped the hood, bumper and front quarter panels, but didn't think the doors needed it. Boy was I wrong! It is definitely the softest paint I have every seen on any car.

More here: Oh No, My Paint!!!
IMG_1680-med-close.jpeg
IMG_1675.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: croman
If you are looking for a reason to wrap your Tesla, take a look at what has happened to the flared portion of the FWD's on
my MX in one year. I wrapped the hood, bumper and front quarter panels, but didn't think the doors needed it. Boy was I wrong! It is definitely the softest paint I have every seen on any car.

More here: Oh No, My Paint!!!
View attachment 224611 View attachment 224612
That will buff out...lol I think it must be the clear coat that is "soft" since the paint is not even exposed until something penetrates the clear coat.

Yeah, this is long, but I like to think it's informative...

I had the same reservations about spending so much on Xpel Ultimate. However after getting a large rock chip in the front bumper and a few scratches on the rear bumper in the first two weeks of ownership, my thoughts started to change. The live demonstration of Xpel at Barrett-Jackson in Palm Beach several weeks back was further confirmation that this was the way go.

My Tesla SC was gracious enough to repaint the front and rear bumpers for me when it was in for fit and finish issues (I did not ask, the service manager offered). The loaners I had while mine was in the shop further encouraged me to protect my car's paint.

I did my research on the product and I also found one of the premier Xpel installers in the greater South Florida area. The quality of the installer is as important as the product itself.

I went all-in with a full-body wrap. I'm a bit OCD so I did not want a single panel without protection.

Sure I only have a measly MS 60. But I do plan on keeping it until the battery falls off. I also drive nearly 80 miles roundtrip on the highway each day during the week, which means the likelihood of rock chips and bug splatters increases substantially.

With Xpel, a light wipe of a microfiber towel has the vehicle always looking like it rolled right out of a showroom. Bird droppings and bugs wipe right off with minimal effort. A little soap and water is all I'll ever need to keep it shining like new. The car looks absolutely beautiful everyday.

I've never wrapped a vehicle before, but I have also never spent this kind of money to purchase a car. The $6K plus tax is a drop in my peace-of-mind/OCD bucket. I also had Photosync installed at the same time to protect the interior and my skin from the sun (additional cost).

Called Geico today as recommended by the shop and was quoted $50/6-months to cover the Xpel and the window tinting was no additional cost to insure. I opted for $3K in coverage for the Xpel and that only ran me just over $10/6-months. Xpel and Photosync have their own long-term warranties, but making sure I can get them replaced through insurance in the event of an accident further puts my mind at rest.

Wrapping your car is not cheap. The need for doing so will vary depending on several factors including how the vehicle is to be used and how much the gradual wear and tear of the body affects the owner.

I skipped nearly all of the factory upgrades for my car, but I will not skip on keeping my first Tesla looking like the day I bought it.

Yeah, this is long, but I like to think it's informative...

I had the same reservations about spending so much on Xpel Ultimate. However after getting a large rock chip in the front bumper and a few scratches on the rear bumper in the first two weeks of ownership, my thoughts started to change. The live demonstration of Xpel at Barrett-Jackson in Palm Beach several weeks back was further confirmation that this was the way go.

My Tesla SC was gracious enough to repaint the front and rear bumpers for me when it was in for fit and finish issues (I did not ask, the service manager offered). The loaners I had while mine was in the shop further encouraged me to protect my car's paint.

I did my research on the product and I also found one of the premier Xpel installers in the greater South Florida area. The quality of the installer is as important as the product itself.

I went all-in with a full-body wrap. I'm a bit OCD so I did not want a single panel without protection.

Sure I only have a measly MS 60. But I do plan on keeping it until the battery falls off. I also drive nearly 80 miles roundtrip on the highway each day during the week, which means the likelihood of rock chips and bug splatters increases substantially.

With Xpel, a light wipe of a microfiber towel has the vehicle always looking like it rolled right out of a showroom. Bird droppings and bugs wipe right off with minimal effort. A little soap and water is all I'll ever need to keep it shining like new. The car looks absolutely beautiful everyday.

I've never wrapped a vehicle before, but I have also never spent this kind of money to purchase a car. The $6K plus tax is a drop in my peace-of-mind/OCD bucket. I also had Photosync installed at the same time to protect the interior and my skin from the sun (additional cost).

Called Geico today as recommended by the shop and was quoted $50/6-months to cover the Xpel and the window tinting was no additional cost to insure. I opted for $3K in coverage for the Xpel and that only ran me just over $10/6-months. Xpel and Photosync have their own long-term warranties, but making sure I can get them replaced through insurance in the event of an accident further puts my mind at rest.

Wrapping your car is not cheap. The need for doing so will vary depending on several factors including how the vehicle is to be used and how much the gradual wear and tear of the body affects the owner.

I skipped nearly all of the factory upgrades for my car, but I will not skip on keeping my first Tesla looking like the day I bought it.

Just going to quote your post on future wrap/no wrap threads and walk away.

I don't think anyone could have covered the topic as eloquently as you have.

I have a lot of respect for anyone that values and takes care and pride in their possessions no matter how big or small so kudos to you.

Xpel/photosync cost ratio goes down of course the pricier the car gets but as we know there's no way around it.