Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody NOT wrap their cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have literally scratched mine off with my fingernail. Yes it's that bad. Almost as if parts of the car are missing clear coat. Not too happy about it.

That's a defect of your particular car. Its extraordinarily unlikely that the famous Tesla vertical integration includes meaningfully unique paint and processes. They just need to get as good at painting Tesla's as Toyota is at painting the Yaris.

The old paint shop may have very well used paint that was slower to harden out of necessity. But it is unlikely that the after proper painting that the cured product would not perform like a modern finish.

On the factory tour that we took a few years ago, they boasted that Elon set the objective that their new factory paint shop would rival the painting quality of Rolls Royce.

The finish on mine does look pretty good. Durability? Not quite up to RR standards, but not terrible.

No wrap planned...except maybe the side mirrors.

BTW, another advantage of wrapping is keeping bird crap from eating the paint.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Wow - I'm surprised to see so many people that DIDN'T wrap their cars. I'm really OCD, but the cost of wrapping an entire car is about $5000, and that seems like a lot for my little X60D. But just rubbing the clear coat on my blue car already induces marks on the clear coat. Not sure if this is because it's blue, or because of the soft paint. I eventually decided to just wrap the front/rear bumper and entire hood after I got 3 small rock chips in the first 3 weeks. For the record, I almost have no chips on any of my other ICE cars.

But if my car was a beautiful X100D, I'd surely wrap the whole thing. $5000 would just be a drop in the bucket.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
I have literally scratched mine off with my fingernail. Yes it's that bad. Almost as if parts of the car are missing clear coat. Not too happy about it.

My first P85 Model S was exactly like this. No exaggeration, I'd wash it and if I rubbed too hard on the towel it would leave a little mark. Of course that was with a black Model S. I switched to a white Model X and so far it's great. I even take it through car washes now without stressing and save a ton of time.

Reactions: gabeincal
Teslas paint is different due to environmental air quality standards in California. They literally can't make it like other auto manufacturers that paint in other states. I'd invest in paint protection (I did on my Model S and I've taken it on road trips and it stays cleaner (the bugs come off easier)). Time = money. Not having to wash the car and have it still look great matters. Plus tons of other reasons cited by other posters (bird droppings, rock chips, etc.). I just had the full front done (highest risk areas) and it was cheap and you can't tell the wrap is on (they tucked it in all panels except the folding mirrors which have a hard to see line where the wrap terminates).

What would it cost to take my car out of state and have the whole thing clear-coated by about 1 mm extra instead of a wrap? Should it be less than $5,000? I'd love to be able to take my car through the automatic wash with impunity. Birds love taking a dump on my Tesla more so than any other car I've owned.

I'm getting my car coated with Opticoat Pro Plus right now. That's as far as I'll take it. Wraps are too pricey. Never wrapped a car in my life. Don't plan to start now.

Model X?

What was cost?

"Never..." sounds like the start of preconceived notions.. biases and emotional based judgments.

We want to properly evaluate the cba and cea of the possible solutions and see what can make the most sense to keep these cars looking nice and new. :)

Did not wrap my dark blue 2013 S. 65K mi.

It has swirls, scratches galore. Oh, and rock chips causing white dots all over the hood. Oh, and the windshield is so pockmarked you'd have thought the car flew thru a pumice cloud above an erupting volcano.

One of these days I gotta get me one of those dark blue paint-touch-up pens from Tesla.

Did not wrap my dark blue 2013 S. 65K mi.

It has swirls, scratches galore. Oh, and rock chips causing white dots all over the hood. Oh, and the windshield is so pockmarked you'd have thought the car flew thru a pumice cloud above an erupting volcano.

One of these days I gotta get me one of those dark blue paint-touch-up pens from Tesla.

You can start the "Post your ugly Tesla thread".

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
Oh and no wrap here either. Not going to pay upwards of $3k for a depreciating insurance that ultimately needs to be professionally removed at the end of its life! Yes I do have a couple small marks @ 10k miles but it is what it is. If it gets bad, a bumper and frunk repaint is still cheaper than a wrap.

Mine is not wrapped. Don't intend to. Never wrapped a car in my life and not starting now. We'll see how it holds up. I'm planning on buying other Teslas, but this one (a 2014 P85) I intend to keep forever if possible, hopefully with no battery changes, as I want to be a data point on battery longevity.

Model X?

What was cost?

"Never..." sounds like the start of preconceived notions.. biases and emotional based judgments.

We want to properly evaluate the cba and cea of the possible solutions and see what can make the most sense to keep these cars looking nice and new. :)

It's going to be about 1600. But they do EVERYTHING, including the wheels (inside and out), calipers, and the black plastic parts and glass as well. That black plastic can fade really quickly before you know it.

"Never" as I used it was a past tense fact. Hardly preconceived!