Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody NOT wrap their cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that everybody on these forums wrap their cars, and spend a lot to do it as well! I'm curious how the Tesla soft paint withstands years of use without any protection.

I've never felt the need to do any paint protection on my other cars, but none have had such delicate paint as my Model X.

I wrapped my first Model S. It was black. The wrap kept it from getting swirls. Also meant my (at the time) 3 year old could "help" me wash the car without me being a nervous wreck. Totally worth it.

I also wrapped my second Model S. It's red. Turns out, swirls don't show on that paint. Friend of mine has had his red Model S for nearly 4 years and isn't terribly careful about how he washes it. Can't see any swirls. The wrap did save me from an incursion with a garage door at home and also a pillar at work. Though, for the $7000 I paid for the wrap I could have gotten those touched up and had enough for a nice trip to Hawaii left.

Plus, turns out when you get a rock chip in paint you can use a $20 paint pen and 5 minutes to touch it up. When you get a rock chip through the film, which admittedly is harder to do, you either have to leave a noticeable hole in the film forever or get the whole piece replaced to the tune of a few hundred dollars and an hour or two taking it to and from the installer.

For my wife's blue Model X we're just going to put the wrap money in a jar (or maybe TSLA) and use it to fund rock chip and scratch repairs. Will probably end up with most of that money left, and then some, even after a handful of touchups.

No wrap here. It's a disposable and depreciating asset that I won't keep forever. It does not increase the trade-in value with perfect factory paint.

As EarlyAdopter found out, it's cheaper to pay for the repairs (if one even cares after few years of rock chips / scratches). However, everyone's different so it's up to the owner to decide what's best for them/their cars.

I have washed my car many times with pressure washer. The paint never came off...

Wrap? Eww. It's like putting plastic covers on your sofa.
Umm..no..it's definitely not..you don't even notice the wrap on the car. My S was not wrapped and after 27K miles 18 months there are some little white dots on the hood. Not that I tailgate. Plus it gets dirtier faster than my X that I got wrapped. X has had a few things come flying on it and the windshield has some evidence of them but nothing on the hood.

• Helpful
Reactions: millertime
Everyone has different tolerance and OCD levels to the "pristine" level of their car.

For me, I like the easy maintenance and always brand new look so it was worth the one time cost for the life of the car.

It's got free lifetime unlimited super charging and I'm keeping it new for myself and not for "the next guy" so my utility decision curve and retention level may be different than yours.

We didn't wrap our 60d, inside or outside. As Outie said it's a depreciating asset and not an investment anyhow. I did get basic seat back protectors for our kids seats. I think we'll still have this car in 5-8 years and if the seat backs are in good condition I'll take the covers off or just replace them with whatever Tesla is offering then. Although, we've been to the service center 3x in the 4 months so far we've had this car, which is not a sustainable rate and hopefully slows down dramatically... at least that means we haven't washed our car yet ourselves since the service center has washed it for us each time!

Although, we've been to the service center 3x in the 4 months so far we've had this car, which is not a sustainable rate and hopefully slows down dramatically... at least that means we haven't washed our car yet ourselves since the service center has washed it for us each time!

No way I'd ever let them wash my cars.
Thank you anyway, but no...are my standing instructions..

And I happen to be a big fan for my SvC, but no washing.