Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody regret buying Model X for your main car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I can't pull a trigger on Model X, since it's a big change and I did try it for 24 hours and did not make it to a long trip destination because I was counting on the range that showing in the car.
Now I know that every long trip needs to be very carefully planned and there are so many things affecting the range dramatically.

So I would like to hear if anybody has regretted buying Model X or Tesla in general?

Please share your thoughts

Thanks.

I got an S75D. After a few weeks with it I’m tempted to replace our other car with an X75D when the time comes. I just started a job that gives me a 200mile journey to work each week in the UK. First trip was no trouble. Return trip I was nervous when the meter said I’d have 8% at my first supercharger stop. I got there with 16% as I got trapped behind a truck most of the way. In my old MB I’d have been inclined to overtake and might have made 15 minutes up. In the Model S I kept it on AP and relaxed.

Even with a handful of trips I’m exploring the route optimisation less and less. Range doesn’t seem to be a problem. That’s why the X75D seems a fair choice. Before driving the S for a while I’d only considered it or the X100D.

I own a Model X P100D and my wife a P90D. Our most frequent "long distance" trip is 185 miles (~300km) which we do approximately 50 times a year (across both vehicles). The P100D is much more convenient for this drive as it can make it without stopping in good weather.

The worst range experience I have had is driving from Waterloo, ON to New York City to pick up pinball machines in a U-haul trailer. At the time there was no supercharger between Syracuse and Buffalo and towing the load I couldn't make it when the trailer was loaded up (it was fine with the trailer empty). This trip easily took twice as long as it would have taken in an ICE vehicle.

However, for our weekly use I guess the fact that we have two of them says it all: range concerns are not a problem given our driving needs. Nobody can tell you how far you need to drive each week, but I'd suggest that if you regularly drive over 200 miles in a single day you will be disappointed, and if you don't, you won't.

The real reasons not to buy a Tesla are: they are super expensive, the service is godawful, and you're rolling the dice as an early adopter.

The reasons to buy a Tesla are: there is no comparable EV available, no gas is awesome, the acceleration is awesome, and AP1 or AP2 are capable of taking a regular 3h long drive and transforming it from a stressful chore into a relaxed 'monitor the car and enjoy your music' ride. I can compare directly with driving an ICE on the same route, and can say that I arrive ready to do stuff in my Tesla, and needing a break in my ICE. The gain of 2 hours a week is excellent.

To be honest I have 2 big concerns that are stopping me

1. Range anxiety for longs trips. I don't like risking at all, that is why I'm pretty sure I will have range anxiety a lot
2. Falcon doors. I hate attention and I think those doors will cause finger pointers :) NYC People can you please share your thoughts on that
They are both valid concerns.
The range anxiety can alleviated by simply planning ahead, but you do need to plan. It's certainly getting much, much easier, and is less of a problem than you might think.
The falcon doors are definitely eye-catching. I found it a bit embarrassing on a recent holiday in Europe where I rented a Model X. But on the other hand they are really fun and quite practical.
It's a great car, and I sometimes think about trading my Model S for one, just for the extra seats and the big windscreen.

I might suggest a lease instead of a purchase. So even if you don't like it, you are only committed for 3 years.

We have driven our X100D 4000 miles over 3 months. We do enjoy it very much, but do wish it had a longer range.

I do think the Falcon doors are a little showy.... but overall, if you want an ev with features/comfort/luxury, there is nothing like it in the market.

We have solar at home and the car complements that exceptionally well in that our energy costs are ZERO... so, that is a little icing on the the cake.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I did try it for 24 hours and did not make it to a long trip destination because I was counting on the range that showing in the car.

From your other thread you made a beginner mistake: you went a long trip in the cold and up hill and you didn’t fully charge before you left and you passed three superchargers on your way. Your trip would have been fine if you had merely: fully charged before you left, took the suggestion of your navigation to stop at one of the many superchargers along the way.

IF you find that you struggle with using your smartphone or laptop and generally don’t like to learn new technology, even when it appears other people are finding their lives are made easier by the newer technology, it could be that a Tesla isn’t the right car for you.

1. Range anxiety for longs trips. I don't like risking at all, that is why I'm pretty sure I will have range anxiety a lot
2. Falcon doors. I hate attention and I think those doors will cause finger pointers :) NYC People can you please share your thoughts on that

Having owned an MX 75D for a month now, I can honestly say zero regrets. It's an amazing car in so many ways.

BUT your 2 concerns are quite legitimate:-

1. You seriously need to do your homework on the range, but basically the MX 75D is only good for about 150 miles on a cold day and not much over 100 miles if split into lots of short trips. I regularly see consumption over 500 Wh/mile while driving sensibly (in temps close to freezing). That's not a problem for my usage, but could be for others. Obviously the X100D is a bit better, maybe giving you another 50 miles or so range.

2. I live in the UK and here the Falcon doors are a serious attention magnet! I don't like the attention either, but I feel the car is worth it and at least the attention has been all positive. I suspect they will be a much more common sight in NYC, so perhaps less of a novelty there? Where I live I have literally never seen another single MX. But in London they are getting quite popular, so probably get a lot less attention there too.

While I understand the concept of range anxiety, and I had it BEFORE I got my first Tesla in 2014 (not after), if you think about it, all of that anxiety is about possibly running-out of charge and being stranded. First of all, the car warns you when you're getting low and there are chargers (and electricity) in a lot of places. Also, if you do ignore the warnings and can't find a charger, I'm assuming you have a cell phone? You can call a tow truck to tow you to the nearest charger. I realize that's inconvenient and maybe embarassing, but in the VERY unlikely event that you run-out of charge, there's a simple and fairly inexpensive way to rectify the problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't let range anxiety get in the way of making a decision on such an incredible automobile. Once you own the car for a couple of weeks, range becomes a non-issue for the most part (assuming you have the ability to charge at home or work).

As opposed to 5 or 6? And why?

I'm in the painful process of making up my mind regarding lot's of things before I pull the trigger. A recurring nightmare of mine is deciding 6 vs 7.

P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit...

At the time I was buying there were only non-foldable (middle row) 7-seaters available as inventory cars (and I didn't wanted to order a new one). So I've got myself the 6-seater so I can still load long cargo like skis or alike between the seats in the second row.

If I had to order a new it would be a 7-seater with foldable seats in the middle row. That would even give me the option to sleep comfortably in the back when all seats are folded :)

You could definitely go further in less time with an ICE car but you also would be more exhausted and stressed on your arrival. The short Supercharger brakes gives you the opportunity to:
  • Stretch your legs
  • Getting a bite to eat
  • Shop for groceries or other things
  • etc.
Plus, if you're getting used to Autopilot or other (smaller) amenities like preheating/-cooling the car before you leave, you don't wanna go back to an ICE :D

Last edited:

I have had my car since January. I have 7,614 miles on it. We drove from Maryland to Florida and back. The supercharger network is awesome! A Better Routeplanner is a pretty great site for estimating trips, etc. I absolutely LOVE my car. Autopilot is a life changer for driver comfort on long drives. After driving 10-12 hours, I'm not even tired, very relaxed. Stops ranged from 10-60min on our trip. I'm happy to discuss anything you have for questions if it helps you make your decision.

I love and hate the doors.... You can make them open a little less high which is not as bad, but they are a bit of a pain for attention, and my kids are obsessed with them.

I think the important question for the X being a good daily car is how much you drive on a normal day. My rule of thumb is if you drive 200 miles or less, you should be good to go.

Happy to answer any question you may have - but love my car!

I drive 30-40 city miles daily so it's perfect for me, but a couple of times a month I go on 100 miles (each way) trips

when I tried the loaner to go on that 100 miles trip, I felt that

1. I have to drive slow (65mph or less) because my regular speed will eat the range quickly, usually, I drive 75-110mph
2. Even though the car had plenty of range left (around 200miles) when I started. The range started going down quickly when it turns out it was very cold outside where I was going, the road had a high altitude and now I discovered that it had a bit of a wind (28mhs)

So, on one hand, you are getting a freedom with Tesla's awesome autopilot (that blew me away by the way) and another hand, you are losing the freedom of speed, freedom of moving where you want because the weather might change around you and you might not have chargers where you want to go :)

But after all, I'm still leaning toward getting Model X even more now after reading this thread :)
there is something about Tesla that keeps you awake at night and wanting to drive it again and again.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I have an S 90D, so I cannot address all your concerns. However, I can tell you that I had a great deal more range anxiety before I got my MS than after. The real key is to do a little homework (just a little, really) and charge up fully before you head out. We recently drove from Houston to St. Louis and back, and it was a very nice trip that only took a little bit of homework. While the onboard navigation is quite good at routing you and letting you know what sort of charge you need, the best place to check is abetterrouteplanner.com.

You are correct that we've lost some "freedom of speed." The thing about driving a Tesla is that we've really come to enjoy the journey, rather than merely endure it, even if takes a little longer. Even on something as short as a 200 mile trip, we are happy to pull over to a supercharger for a quick charge while we stretch our legs, use the restroom, and maybe grab a snack or coffee or something for the road. The 10-15 minutes' worth of rest from the road is really why we stop, though, as we've discovered how much more pleasant it makes the drive under any conditions. Picking up some extra charge is a bonus.

As far as speed goes, well, a Tesla is no different than an ICE car. Just like you burn a hell of a lot more gas at 100mph than you do at 65mph, you use up a lot more of your charge. The differences are that just about every non-commercial ICE driver out there either doesn't realize that or doesn't care because ICE fuel is so much more readily available. Wind, rain, and just about every other weather factor affects ICE mileage in the very same way that it affects EV mileage, but very few pay much attention. It's pretty much the same with elevation. While cold affects both ICE and EV mileage, there's no doubt that it affects EV mileage a great deal more, though.

Frankly, weight makes at lease some difference, too. My MS weighs about 25% more than the average BMW M5.

So, yes, if you are looking to get somewhere as quickly as you think you can, then you will have to make some real adjustments when it comes to driving any EV at this point. As charging infrastructure develops, that might change. However, as I mentioned, the thing about driving a Tesla is that we've really come to enjoy the journey, rather than merely endure it.

At the time I was buying there were only non-foldable (middle row) 7-seaters available as inventory cars (and I didn't wanted to order a new one). So I've got myself the 6-seater so I can still load long cargo like skis or alike between the seats in the second row.

If I had to order a new it would be a 7-seater with foldable seats in the middle row. That would even give me the option to sleep comfortably in the back when all seats are folded :)
Thank you!
Tesla let me try a 6 seater over a weekend and I LOVED IT. I found the 6 seats configuration so spacious and comfortable. It's like a living-room!

I have only tried the 7 seater at the showroom and I kind of like it less than the 6 seats configuration. I need to go with a bunch of people and seat them all inside just to test the comfort of the thing.

I'm hoping I will be able to place my order real soon now :)

Thank you!
Tesla let me try a 6 seater over a weekend and I LOVED IT. I found the 6 seats configuration so spacious and comfortable. It's like a living-room!

I have only tried the 7 seater at the showroom and I kind of like it less than the 6 seats configuration. I need to go with a bunch of people and seat them all inside just to test the comfort of the thing.

I think seating comes down to your usage of the car. They all look the same from the driver's seat! We went for the folding 7 seater because I think it's the most versatile and a reasonable price. The 6-seater is more glamorous and makes a lot of sense if you are regularly using all 3 rows of seats - as easier/quicker to get in the back. But I really like having the option of folding down the middle row to use it as a complete luggage space divider.

Regret is a strong word. I like the car. It’s fun to drive, and I’m a technology fan who doesn’t mind the Supercharger stops on long road trips because it gives me time to relax a bit. It’s also really easy and mindless at home when you plug in. I enjoy Autopilot and how easy it makes long drives.

My husband is less of a fan. He gets frustrated with Tesla (and particularly Elon Musk’s) unfulfilled promises. He has a low tolerance for feeling like he’s in a beta test, but feels like at the time we were buying, the Tesla sales people promised that the “enhanced” part of enhanced autopilot would be working in weeks or a few months. A year later, we have a much smoother autopilot that isn’t close to reading signs or being able to navigate in a meaningful way. He also jokes that in buying this car, I’ve finally broken him of his desire to do long road trips. He gets annoyed by most of the Supercharger stops, would rather just blast through and get where we’re going. And the falcon wing doors are cool, but quickly lose their charm in attracting attention and being complicated.

Honestly, I feel like we probably bought electric a couple of years too early. The charging networks aren’t quite well developed enough to make it super easy to do road trips and be charging away from home. Sure, you can find destination chargers, but sometimes I resent choosing where I stay based on the availability of chargers. We spent half of our Thanksgiving trip to MN going to a Supercharger to try to keep it charged up in the cold since my father in law’s house only had a 128v charger. Maybe Model 3 (if Tesla can get it right) will make a difference, or the investment companies like VW and Volvo are putting into electric. Right now every road trip requires major planning, and it would be nice to just get in and drive and not think.

We’ll likely keep our X for at least 5 years and we’ll enjoy it, but right now, I’d be hard pressed to buy another Tesla. We’ll see where the company goes over the next few years, whether they can capitalize on the Model 3 and actually ramp up their production, and whether competitors start really rolling out electric charging networks. Luckily we’re in Texas where the Superchargers (with one exception that I can think of) are never busy. I’d go crazy in California, and the range issues would bug the heck out of me in a cold climate.

Just my personal opinion. Again, it’s a great and beautiful car, you’ll enjoy driving it, but be ready for the extra mental effort involved. Around town if you have a charger at home it’s fabulous.

He gets annoyed by most of the Supercharger stops, would rather just blast through and get where we’re going. And the falcon wing doors are cool, but quickly lose their charm in attracting attention and being complicated.

If you are always in a hurry to get from A-B and B is far enough away to require SC stops, then a Tesla is probably not the best car to own. But I think the upsides are more than worth any inconvenience for many people.

Reactions: PrGrPa and mongo

Have a 100D. Thought I may have some regrets. My only regret is not getting my Model X sooner. The falcon wing doors have attracted surprisingly little attention, much to my relief as I'm like you & don't particularly want to call attention to myself. And my experience is that superchargers are now sufficiently common & spaced closely enough together that long trips aren't a problem at all.

Good luck with your decision. One thing to remember, it's not an irreversible one. If you end up having regrets, you can always go back to how you're doing things now.

Reactions: bell2041
I don't think you should paint ICE owners with a brush like that. There are 43 million households in this country that rent. That is 36% of all households. Not everyone has the convenience of
plugging in their car at night. Then you have the 75 million households which are homeowners. A significant portion of those homeowners are condos, have no garages, have no parking spot
or driveway for their residence. We are talking about tens of millions of drivers who are unable to plug in an EV car to charge. Please don't portray ICE owners as lazy or hateful.

And how many million can't afford a 90K automobile? Most people buying sedans are spending 15-25k on a Camry, Civic, Cruze....

I need a pickup truck for the things I do. What alternative do I have?

/rant

I don't think you should twist the meaning of what I said, but yet you did.

Did I say ALL ICE drivers behave the exact same way for the same reason? Did I? Please quote.

Of course not, because statements like that are moronic. Scroll up, I said SOME ice drivers, which makes your entire /rant meaningless. Just like SOME people have the inability to properly interpret the meaning of what was said in clear English.

Did I refer to people that would not want to go EV for logistic reasons like parking? NOPE.

I stand by my statement that there are SOME ice drivers that will resist as long as possible for political/ideological reasons or out of sheer laziness.

I don't claim to know how many will be included in that "SOME", could be 1, could be 10 million. eventually they will have no choice, seen many horse and buggies lately?