Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody regret buying Model X for your main car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stand by my statement that there are SOME ice drivers that will resist as long as possible for political/ideological reasons or out of sheer laziness.

What I've observed is a number of people who totally refuse to make any compromise whatsoever on a 400+ mile non-stop range and 5 min fuel up time. Even though many of those people probably could make an EV work with little daily compromise. It's always easier to stick with what you know and ignore change for as long as possible.

Of course there are many people who would have great difficulty running an EV for all the usual valid reasons. But everyone should at least consider their options carefully before buying yet another ICE.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
What I've observed is a number of people who totally refuse to make any compromise whatsoever on a 400+ mile non-stop range and 5 min fuel up time. Even though many of those people probably could make an EV work with little daily compromise. It's always easier to stick with what you know and ignore change for as long as possible.

Of course there are many people who would have great difficulty running an EV for all the usual valid reasons. But everyone should at least consider their options carefully before buying yet another ICE.

Well... 43 million households in the USA are renters. A good portion of the other 75 million homeowners don't have garages or driveways. Many own condos or rowhomes in congested urban areas. EVs are not going to work for them, this year, next year, or in 10 years.
Not being able to charge your vehicle seems like a very valid reason.

Well... 43 million households in the USA are renters. A good portion of the other 75 million homeowners don't have garages or driveways. Many own condos or rowhomes in congested urban areas. EVs are not going to work for them, this year, next year, or in 10 years.

How about charging at work? Tesla just started a program to give HPWCs to companies to employees to use. That’s a close second to charging at home.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
NY to Chicago is a breeze. Just avoid Cleveland's SC which is way out of the way (closer to Akron). I go directly from Erie, PA to Maumee, OH. (S 75D but I also did that with my 60D which had as much or less rated range as a X75D).

@1375mlm -- I went from Chicago to outside of Ithaca NY twice with my 60D before Tesla generously lowered the upgrade cost to unlock the extra 10kwh of capacity (75s are actually like 28kwh less capacity than 100kwh packs).

While an X75D's rated range is less than an S75D, it isn't less than S60D. Supercharging is nice as long as its not packed and gives you the full 95kw of energy. The only stressful trip we took was to see the eclipse and there were lines at all the superchargers and it was a mess (people cutting in line, people leaving their cars and not returning even after they were at 100%, etc.).

Hopefully Tesla continues to invest in their supercharger network and all will continue to be fine. There is no road trip vehicle like a Tesla with AP. Its so awesome (as long as you don't mind stopping every 3 hours or so for about 45 minutes).

I tend to average 53mph including charging time. So a 500 mile trip will take 10 hours. I drive at around 70-75mph.

Winter will take longer (EVs are less efficient so you'll need to charge more often). So plan accordingly. Use ev-tripplanner or Tesla's own website to help plan.
cleveland is no big deal now as they've just installed 2 more superchargers closer to the route. (Strongsville & Sheffield)

• Informative
Reactions: croman

As someone who recently went 5 days without power due to a winter storm; with a 80+ mile round trip commute, and all my vehicles being 100% electric; I respectfully disagree. I was able to make the nearest supercharger work for me, and the nearest one to work or home is still more than 30 miles away.

Note: The average commuting time is 25.4 minutes in the US. If you're travellling at 100mph; that's an average distance of 42 miles each way. So I think it's safe to say my distances were slightly above average as well.

Hello, I can't pull a trigger on Model X, since it's a big change and I did try it for 24 hours and did not make it to a long trip destination because I was counting on the range that showing in the car.
Now I know that every long trip needs to be very carefully planned and there are so many things affecting the range dramatically.

So I would like to hear if anybody has regretted buying Model X or Tesla in general?

Please share your thoughts

Thanks.
Trips do need some planning. I am a huge Tesla fan boy. Biggest concern to consider, especially if it is your primary vehicle, is if you get in an accident the possible repair times/costs. Very few of the Tesla approved shops are able to work on any structural damage in my area. As a result the repair backlog is significant and you may need a rental for months until it gets fixed. Does your insurance cover this? From my understanding few do and you will be paying out of pocket after a certain period of time (typically 30 days).

Reactions: mozart626
Here are some quick thoughts after 6 months with me X100d:

Frustrations:
  • Iphone issue - If watch or airpods are connected I sound like a drunk Optimus prime
  • Iphone Issue - I have to hang up on a call and have them call me back or i return the call when entering into the vehicle
  • The dash only needs a reset when I am in a hurry (ok over dramatic but i have had a bad run with this lol)
  • Range displayed is not actual range.
  • Having to drive under 65 if trying to conserve battery
  • The doors have opened by themselves in my garage and cracked both top windows.
  • Issues with my key (one is now dead)
  • Still waiting on tow package
  • Battery anxiety is a real thing. Trip planning is 100% necessary.
  • Acceleration shudder every morning
  • Trunk area is designed in a way to show ever scratch or scrape from putting stuff in the back
  • No luggage rake on roof (I know I can get something for the back, but not until they finally have a tow hitch for me)
There are things on a daily basis that frustrate me. Some minor, some major, some petty.

Would I buy one again? AbsoF@$%lutely. This is the best purchase I have ever made. I legit get excited to drive it every time the door opens up as I approach. I love sharing it with friends and family and watching them try ludicrous mode for the first time.

It has its issues, but they do get addressed even if slowly.

We have an S (85D) with AP1 for over 3 years and just recently bought an X (100D). I won't say I regret the X but I don't enjoy driving or using it as much as I do an S. If you're coming from a gas car, it's a no-brainer. You'll love it. But I can't say an X is an overall better car than an S - depending on your use case.

Some things I don't like about the X (ymmv):
1) Drives like an SUV (duh!)
2) Regen braking is weaker than S
3) Uses more energy than S so essentially means more time spent charging
4) FWD is a slight pain.. just feels overkill vs the benefits. If someone is standing just a bit too close, you gotta explain the situation and restart the process.
5) Third row access is a PITA in my 7 seater X compared to the rear facing child seats in the S and probably easier in the 6 seater X because of the powered second row + center access.
6) The windshield glare + visor is also annoying.

It's nitpicking but the S is still my go to car if I have the choice.

We have an S (85D) with AP1 for over 3 years and just recently bought an X (100D). I won't say I regret the X but I don't enjoy driving or using it as much as I do an S. If you're coming from a gas car, it's a no-brainer. You'll love it. But I can't say an X is an overall better car than an S - depending on your use case.

Some things I don't like about the X (ymmv):
1) Drives like an SUV (duh!)
2) Regen braking is weaker than S
3) Uses more energy than S so essentially means more time spent charging
4) FWD is a slight pain.. just feels overkill vs the benefits. If someone is standing just a bit too close, you gotta explain the situation and restart the process.
5) Third row access is a PITA in my 7 seater X compared to the rear facing child seats in the S and probably easier in the 6 seater X because of the powered second row + center access.
6) The windshield glare + visor is also annoying.

It's nitpicking but the S is still my go to car if I have the choice.
Pita bread is never going to be the same again

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca and caps04
From your other thread you made a beginner mistake: you went a long trip in the cold and up hill and you didn’t fully charge before you left and you passed three superchargers on your way. Your trip would have been fine if you had merely: fully charged before you left, took the suggestion of your navigation to stop at one of the many superchargers along the way.

While all of this is true, I think Tesla made a bit of a user interface mistake by displaying charge in “rated miles” rather than percentage on the dashboard. The rated charge figure can be misleading for people who don’t understand how EVs work, and that the energy per mile can vary by as much as 2-3x depending on weather, grade, etc., so your “200 miles to empty” range might really only be 100 or 65 miles. I think it would be less confusing if it was always shown in percent, or if it showed the “effective range” based on the last 15-30 miles (the way the energy app on the main screen does).

Reactions: bhzmark
no regrets... in fact one, not buying our first Tesla earlier ! (Model S in 2015). Model X, 5 seater is our perfect car now. Absolutely zero range anxiety in daily driving and a little bit planning on crazy road trip outside of civilized area. (Area were it's sometime easier to find electricity than gasoline)

• Informative
Reactions: bell2041 and PrGrPa
While all of this is true, I think Tesla made a bit of a user interface mistake by displaying charge in “rated miles” rather than percentage on the dashboard. The rated charge figure can be misleading for people who don’t understand how EVs work, and that the energy per mile can vary by as much as 2-3x depending on weather, grade, etc., so your “200 miles to empty” range might really only be 100 or 65 miles. I think it would be less confusing if it was always shown in percent, or if it showed the “effective range” based on the last 15-30 miles (the way the energy app on the main screen does).

You can make it show battery percent! Open the Controls screen, choose Settings at the top, then Units & Format on the side. About the 4th item down is Energy & Charging. This allows you to toggle between showing battery charge in percentage or in estimated range.

You can make it show battery percent! Open the Controls screen, choose Settings at the top, then Units & Format on the side. About the 4th item down is Energy & Charging. This allows you to toggle between showing battery charge in percentage or in estimated range.

Yep, I know about that. But it’s not the default, and I think by having it display rated miles by default, new owners are lulled into a false sense of security about their available range. If it displayed percent by default, it would at least not be making a misleading statement (sort of like how Apple stopped displaying “time remaining” in the battery menu in OS X...it was wrong often enough that it just confused people).

Reactions: ChadS