Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody regret buying Model X for your main car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I missed the "weather" part of your original sentence, which read "If you’re making any long trip, you plug in the destination and Tesla uses map data for grade and elevation, and weather forecasts". Supposedly the car does take into account driving speed and elevation:

View attachment 289041

However this it does so poorly that I've been meaning to write my own software to do it in my copious spare time. Trouble is, it's hardly worth it since once you have experience with your routes you know what you can do and can't do. I have often arrived at my destinations within 5km of my calculated remaining range after making the trip once or twice to learn how it goes.

It does
Do you have an evidence to support this? You really think it’s taking into account weather forecasts along your route? Or even elevation gain? I’d doubt that

- It does take into account elevation. Try it yourself, enter a destination, that includes up or down hills, then look at the return usage. Both trips have a different expected comsuption.
- It takes into acocunt weather, somehow:
- It does not look at the weather and adjusts estimates based on it
but
- It adjusts planned consumption on a trip / expected arrival power level based on your consumption since start..
How to check it:
Let's say you start a (flat monotonous for easy of calculation) trip that was supposed to take 30 KWH.
After 10 % of the trip you used 4 KWH instead of expected 3. It could be because of the weather, your speed, towing a boat. etc...
you cna see that tthe remaing trip is now expecting to take 36 kwh instead of 27.

IMHO, they should implement the temperature as a factor right away when calculating trip, it is too much of a guess game now. Otherwise, nav is much better than what people say, certainly not worth having a cell phone hangling on a vent with a power cord attached to it.

• Informative
Reactions: bell2041 and gavine
As a daily driver, the only thing I wish for is a tighter turning radius.

Other than that, best car I've ever owned. I just find it to be an awesome all-in-one vehicle. It's fast, roomy, comfortable, and drives with enough sportiness on the 22's to satisfy my inner Andretti. I gauge my affection for cars based on how much I drive them in a year (I have a short commute, so more miles = more excuses to drive). The previous leader was my E46 325i at 17k miles in one year. I just passed the one year mark in the Model X and I already have almost 20,000 miles on it.

I love it and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Is it just me or does the X on the 20’s feel slightly boaty? I’m comparing to my previous S on 19’s. The S always seems sure footed and hardly any body roll. The X even at low suspension setting feels about the same roll as our Toyota Highlander hybrid..and at least the Toyota gives me hush quiet wind noise and a buttery smooth suspension for that roll lol.

Will 22’s (coming shortly) make that much of a difference?

Is it just me or does the X on the 20’s feel slightly boaty? I’m comparing to my previous S on 19’s. The S always seems sure footed and hardly any body roll. The X even at low suspension setting feels about the same roll as our Toyota Highlander hybrid..and at least the Toyota gives me hush quiet wind noise and a buttery smooth suspension for that roll lol.

Will 22’s (coming shortly) make that much of a difference?

Exactly my feeling. Going from 20's to 22's, definitely range loss as discussed in other threads. But the car feels more "planted" and less like a rubber band when going over bumps and cornering. Plus they look amazing.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Exactly my feeling. Going from 20's to 22's, definitely range loss as discussed in other threads. But the car feels more "planted" and less like a rubber band when going over bumps and cornering. Plus they look amazing.

Thx for that! I just can’t accept such a profound difference in handling from S to X. The added weight and height really changes the ride.
Can’t wait for the 22’s. I also have 20mm wheels spacers for the rear to give a more aggressive look :)

Please share your thoughts

No regrets what so ever -- never had a range anxiety issue/moment. Have done several long trips, supercharge for free (too cool), could not be happier.

Enjoy not needing to change oil every 2 or 3 months, or air filters every 6-8 months, or spark plugs, or water pump, etc . etc. Still need to change tires and fill wiper fluid though LOL.

Have no problem not getting the rated range, trip planner software is accurate to within a couple of miles in most all cases, winter months show 15-20% drop in rated range but I use the heater.

Reactions: Cowby
We replaced MS with MX. We do prefer MS over MX for day to day driving. MS has nicer ride, handling, and more manageable size.

So if we had to have one Tesla, it would be MS. However for us, we went with Model 3 and MX as our Model 3 provides more manageable size to get around and MX provides more room when we need it.

So it depends on your family's needs.

I packed our five kids into my S85 with jump seats from 2013-2016 until the X was available, because I hate driving my wife's Odyssey. Got the X P90D two years ago with 7 pedestal seats to fit everyone. I wish the middle seat were removable, I've had a 6-seat loaner that felt more open. But most of the time I'm driving with 2 or 3 kids and often just leave the third row folded flat.

It's a tighter squeeze than our minivan but with the large frunk and ample trunk, and even space to put kids' backpacks etc. under the middle row, we manage to fit a lot. And sometimes use a trailer hitch rack for bikes as well.

Superchargers have popped up all over the place here in New England. I drive it from Boston to NYC frequently, also to skiing in northern New Hampshire and via Vermont to northern NY. When we supercharge we stop for food and bathroom breaks, and the car is usually ready before we are. I have overnight destination charging up north so the only issues I have with range are when we visit my mother in NYC (Queens). Her wiring is old so I haven't put a 240v plug in her garage, but charging at 120v is pathetic - 2-3 miles per hour. So on the way home we are usually starting with 30% or less instead a full battery, and need to charge a lot - one long charge or two shorter ones. That extra time plus holiday weekend traffic and overtired kids doesn't make for a fun family drive. I'm looking for someplace to charge overnight while there, maybe at someone's home via Plugshare. That or some more NYC superchargers coming soon to top up during the visit will alleviate this problem.

Falcon wings are positive 90+% of the time. Great loading the car and getting our youngest into her booster, while protected from rain or snow. Only issues are being careful when opening traffic side doors when parked on the street, squeezing in when they don't fully open in low-ceilinged parking garages, and when first-time passengers occasionally stand too close and keep the door from opening fully. Also we have the original lever-style switches, which some first-time passengers have real trouble figuring out. The new buttons that I had on a loaner are much more intuitive.

30,000 miles in two years, and I plan to keep it for a long time... no regrets at all!

---------

Edit: And the car handles really well for a large SUV. Great in the snow with good tires, and I took it on a BMW Car Club Advanced Driving Skills Workshop last weekend. Great at emergency lane change handling, braking and autocross. The only problem is I couldn't get it to oversteer and spin out on the skidpad:

Last edited:
Reactions: jgrgnt
Is it just me or does the X on the 20’s feel slightly boaty? I’m comparing to my previous S on 19’s. The S always seems sure footed and hardly any body roll.

Yes. I am coming from an S on 19's to my X on 20's. Notice it too. I just chalk it up to a taller SUV-type vehicle and to be honest, was not a surprise to me.

But when I drive past another and have to convince myself that mine isn't that homely :eek: I get a twinge.

Yeah, that. I walked by a charging station yesterday with an S and an X side by side (my old car and my new car essentially). No doubt the S is a much prettier car.

Yes. I am coming from an S on 19's to my X on 20's. Notice it too. I just chalk it up to a taller SUV-type vehicle and to be honest, was not a surprise to me.

Yeah, that. I walked by a charging station yesterday with an S and an X side by side (my old car and my new car essentially). No doubt the S is a much prettier car.

Agreed on S being a beauty to look at.

Just received a 100D loaner S and my lord there is quite the drive diff between the X and S. The S was sure footed, faster, soaked up bumps better and could corner with minimal roll. I’d forgotten :(
The X is a tech marvel for sure and I appreciate the 6 seats. But the drive on the S is smoother. And no garage fwd issues on opening.

Argh the wifey wanted the X...and I guess as long as she’s pleased :)

Looks like I’ll have to get an S as a second car!

Last edited:
Reactions: jgrgnt
Just had a loaner 100D S for two days. Its smaller, faster uses less energy and seems a bit smoother. But I was glad when I got my X back.
S just seemed too confined.

And no I definitely don't regret getting X as main car. Spending less a month in electricity than I did in a week on gas is great.

Agreed on S being a beauty to look at.

Just received a 100D loaner S and my lord there is quite the drive diff between the X and S. The S was sure footed, faster, soaked up bumps better and could corner with minimal roll. I’d forgotten :(
The X is a tech marvel for sure and I appreciate the 6 seats. But the drive on the S is smoother. And no garage fwd issues on opening.

Argh the wifey wanted the X...and I guess as long as she’s pleased :)

Looks like I’ll have to get an S as a second car!

Agreed. I had a P85D loaner (one of the late 2014 builds with the stiff suspension), and oh man, I absolutely fell in love with that car. So much fun to drive. It just felt so buttoned down.

I am surprised by the X having a rougher ride. I have two friends that have Xs who owned a S - they both said the X was smoother and quieter.

Maybe they went from 21" on the S to 20" on the X?

Perhaps. However it’s the same suspension parts and shocks on an extra 12-1400lbs. X cannot absorb as much as S.

The S loaner I have is on 21’s and I can feel the difference in road bumps vs my 20” X. The S’s suspension simply cushions more.

Quieter also depends which year of S they had. The older prior to 2015 had more road and wind noise. Facelift 2016 to now, the S is quieted down immensely. The X’s beautiful windshield comes with additional wind noise. Fashion over function lol.

I have a reservation in for a X75D, to be picked up next week. I was super excited, and since I go on many road trips, I thought this would be a perfect fit because of the superchargers. After reading many forums and posts, I started to feel scared that the 75 would be incapable of making large trips. Many people said that for ANY trip, the 100 was required. I started to feel regret and searched for any posts saying that the 75 isn't a bad choice for long trips. So relieved to see someone with a 75 making trips like I would.

You'll be fine.

The 100 goes further, charges faster in both absolute and relative terms, and gets to hold the higher charge rates longer. It matters more out west with the higher speed limits and longer jumps between Superchargers.

But I've been to Houston and Miami and Chicago with my DE based X75D, and never been unable to make a hop or run out of power on the road, and in most cases I didn't have to wait for the car - by the time I finished my bathroom break/snack and meals, the car was ready too.

Reactions: DriverOne