Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone’s autopilot behave like this? HW 3

Is this normal for AP?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I’ve been having problems with my model 3’s autopilot since I purchased the car back in December. My question is do you think it’s software or the AP system itself?

I’m on HW 3 and on 2020.12.4

I’ve brought the car into service twice and they said it’s “normal” and “some cars perform better than others on AP”

Do HW 3 people experience the following:

Steering wheel jerks when taking curves (I know its subtle on the video but its all over the place in the car)
A couple of times the car has moved into adjacent lanes while taking curves
Phantom braking

Phantom braking is widely observed, lots of posts about it. On sharp curves I do see the wheel sometimes move around a lot, but the car itself tracks well. The only "jerking" I observe is when it delays merging into the righthand lane from an onramp until the onramp is almost at an end, and then jerks the car over so hard that it would end up partly in the middle lane if I didn't intervene quickly. It only happens on certain types of onramps, and I'd imagined it was something that would improve eventually in an update.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and omar
they said it’s “normal” and “some cars perform better than others on AP”

Wow, just Wow! What kind of confidence does that inspire that Tesla has any clue what they are doing with self-driving technologies??

"Just hope you got lucky and got a good one if you want the product you bought from us to work as advertised, if you weren't lucky, go pound sand!"

LOL!

Reactions: omar
I wanted to make my own topic, but rather just ask here.

What about when the autopilot goes from 70 mph to 45 mph on the freeway b/c maybe that freeway is under construction and maybe the GPS confused you to be on normal traffic light roads instead of highway roads?

It gets very annoying, and its dangerous and can piss off other drivers to see a car suddenly slow down for no reason. It seems to do this on my commute towards OC to LA northbound. Like the area near the north border of OC & LA where they are doing some freeway widening.

• Helpful
Reactions: omar
Hello all,

I’ve been having problems with my model 3’s autopilot since I purchased the car back in December. My question is do you think it’s software or the AP system itself?

I’m on HW 3 and on 2020.12.4

I’ve brought the car into service twice and they said it’s “normal” and “some cars perform better than others on AP”

Do HW 3 people experience the following:

Steering wheel jerks when taking curves (I know its subtle on the video but its all over the place in the car)
A couple of times the car has moved into adjacent lanes while taking curves
Phantom braking

Your first video I can't see what the road is doing, so nobody can really comment on what the wheel is doing without seeing the lines on the road etc.

• Informative
Reactions: omar and M109Rider
Your first video I can't see what the road is doing, so nobody can really comment on what the wheel is doing without seeing the lines on the road etc.

It’s just a gentle curve going to the left. The car does this with every curve. It’s like it takes the turn in increments. It turns a bit, straightens out, and turns again.

I owned a previous model 3 And it never jerked like this. I was just wondering if everyone’s was like this since I heard there’s problems with recent software. Seems like its more my car.

Worst part is Tesla wont address it. Sigh...

Autopilot is definitely half baked right now. Idk how people sleep with this *sugar* on, it actually makes me more nervous while I'm driving because of the phantom braking and the random slowdowns...they also happen very very randomly some times and it's impossible to know when it's coming.

The one saving grace here is that you have to keep in mind they are in the middle of an autopilot rebuild and are basically emulating hardware 2.5 software right now. Once the HW3 is up and running near it's potential, many of these things should be vastly improved.

Quite frankly, if they are not, I could see another EV in my future next year instead. I love much about the car and I definitely love the feeling of an EV, including what it means to the environment to drive one, but the car does feel half baked.

It reminds me a lot of when the Galaxy S7 or s8 came out. Had all of these cool tech features that worked maybe 2/3 times max. The Tesla feels the same. Random glitches (back up camera stuttering, Bluetooth calls randomly cutting in and out, mirrors not folding back correctly).

Add to that the very mediocre build quality and you really are paying a big premium for the ev aspect.

I really, truly hope Tesla can address these quality issues. I got rid of an econobox with 100k miles with no repairs needed, ever. Back up camera worked correctly 10/10 times for 6 straight years. Bluetooth calls worked 10/10 times. Blind spot monitoring worked 10/10 times.

I know the SF way is to ship now and fix later but come on. The basic *sugar* needs to work all of the time and the auto pilot needs to be safe and free of major issues like those stated or don't sell it to people.

Last edited:
^^When enabling Autopilot, it clearly states it's beta. So, at the point it is now, you use it at your own risk. It's not set it and forget it yet.

OP, try to make a longer video. It's hard to judge from those short clips. I know speed can be a factor on how centered it stays around curves. Also, if the road banks, it can cause it to make adjustments.

Yes, it's beta. Even in beta form it shouldn't be slamming on the brakes randomly. Whether for incorrect speed limit data or whatever ghosts it thinks it sees.

Labelling it beta shouldn't excuse that it some times has very dangerous tendencies.

To me, if it can't handle smaller highways or doesn't work on City roads, no problem. But to not even to be able to do autosteer and tacc correctly consistently is pretty ****ing annoying.

Yes, it's beta. Even in beta form it shouldn't be slamming on the brakes randomly. Whether for incorrect speed limit data or whatever ghosts it thinks it sees.

Labelling it beta shouldn't excuse that it some times has very dangerous tendencies.

To me, if it can't handle smaller highways or doesn't work on City roads, no problem. But to not even to be able to do autosteer and tacc correctly consistently is pretty ****ing annoying.

That's not everyone's experiences. Granted, I've only been using it a week to and from work, but it's been impressive so far. I've had one instance of fairly hard braking and it was for a cyclist on a bike lane that got a little too close to the pavement. I'm not saying it's perfect. It doesn't seem to handle merge lanes very well at the moment, but that's why you should be paying attention ready to hit the gas or take over when needed.

^^When enabling Autopilot, it clearly states it's beta. So, at the point it is now, you use it at your own risk. It's not set it and forget it yet.

OP, try to make a longer video. It's hard to judge from those short clips. I know speed can be a factor on how centered it stays around curves. Also, if the road banks, it can cause it to make adjustments.

That's not everyone's experiences. Granted, I've only been using it a week to and from work, but it's been impressive so far. I've had one instance of fairly hard braking and it was for a cyclist on a bike lane that got a little too close to the pavement. I'm not saying it's perfect. It doesn't seem to handle merge lanes very well at the moment, but that's why you should be paying attention ready to hit the gas or take over when needed.

Absolutely, agreed and I do. I've had mine for a week and unfortunately I've had some of these experiences a few times.

I really do hope they can focus on getting hw3 as useful as possible this year and maximize it's power. I do feel like that will make a tremendous difference.

Only a week - you haven't had enough experience with autopilot to be passing judgement on it. Most people need around a month to really get fluent with it's strengths and weaknesses. Please, be patient.

Exactly, I've had this many issues in just one week driving around my city on the roads I take all of the time. If it has had this many issues in just one week, can't imagine after a month. I also only use it on divided, 4 lane or larger highways, the way it is supposed to be used.

I'm not saying it can't get better. It will. But it isn't very good right now.

Exactly, I've had this many issues in just one week driving around my city on the roads I take all of the time. If it has had this many issues in just one week, can't imagine after a month. I also only use it on divided, 4 lane or larger highways, the way it is supposed to be used.

I'm not saying it can't get better. It will. But it isn't very good right now.
It does have some quirks, I’ve experienced some of what OP put up, however, It’s also held its line for me. I have done many long distance trips, and drives through traffic to and from the office. I’ve been genuinely pleased on the times I’ve used it. I also don’t generally like letting the car drive, as I rather enjoy just driving it.

I recently had a similar experience with autopilot V2020.44.10.1. Freeway driving with auto steer in the carpool lane around 75mph when the steering wheel suddenly jerks back and forth, like a toddler was driving. First time it ever happened. Very disturbing. I would call it phantom steering.

I had phantom braking about 3 months ago for the first time and while that was annoying, I didn’t feel the car was losing control.

This latest issue does not give me a lot of confidence in the software.

This software is changing all the time. That's a good thing. But there are versions where they're trying new "rules" and things get shakier before an update corrects it. I normally drive > 95% in NOA, and use plain AP on 25-50% of my surface street driving, and it while it may not be perfect, it's been pretty darn close. I'm very familiar with this system, I stay on top if it, and I don't mind occasionally taking over. But with my latest update, I had a phantom slowing today like I haven't seen in at least a year and a half. And lots of other new problems, like dropping out of NOA during freeway merges. An odd "clunk" when resuming after stopping at a stop sign. Version 2020.44.15, not my favorite vintage. Patiently waiting for the next update, and always hoping it's not a hardware problem.

Last edited: