Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone actually use Smart Summon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen Elon making comments implying they’ve “solved” low speed autonomous driving with Smart Summon, so now all they need to do is to complete high speed autonomous driving.

Has Elon ever actually tried to use Smart Summon? It does not work well at all, to the point that it’s honestly just embarrassing for me to use. I look like a schmuck standing at the curb 15 feet away waiting 10 minutes for the car to figure out how to get to me when it would take me all of 30 seconds to just walk over to the car like a normal person. The car will take angles that are too wide, back up way past the center line of a lane (backing itself into a position that’s in the way of oncoming traffic), randomly stop repeatedly for ghost obstacles, and drive down the center of the lane instead of sticking to one side.

Of course I understand that all of these actions that humans do rather simply is very complicated to program into a computer, but it is certainly nowhere near ready for regular use.

I use it as often as possible for the entertainment value, but I do experience all of the downsides listed above. I wave and call out "Sorry!" a lot to passing traffic. If it is to be considered the "first mile" or "first few yards" component of FSD, it has got a LOOONG way to go before it is as good as the current "highway" component.

Reactions: TomB985 and Chisale
I tried it a couple times when it first came out.

Reasons not to Smart summon:
1. I take all the legal risk
2. It is slow
3. It doesn’t work many times
4. It is slow
5. I take all the legal risk

no thanks...

Silicon Snake Oil. Auto park, auto wipers, auto high beams, blind spot detection, etc. don't work well enough to be used reliably. Everything is kept in perma-beta to push Tesla's liability back onto us.

Auto park was released 5 years ago and hasn't improved with all the increase in sensors so don't expect anything getting better soon.

Tesla should be refunding the FSD driving payments. There are leases for cars that paid for FSD driving 3 years ago without any real improvement over EAP before turning back in their cars.

I am getting pretty unhappy thinking that I will never get anything close to FSD. I don't usually keep cars beyond a few years so feel like I have been scammed.

Silicon Snake Oil. Auto park, auto wipers, auto high beams, blind spot detection, etc. don't work well enough to be used reliably. Everything is kept in perma-beta to push Tesla's liability back onto us.

Auto park was released 5 years ago and hasn't improved with all the increase in sensors so don't expect anything getting better soon.

Tesla should be refunding the FSD driving payments. There are leases for cars that paid for FSD driving 3 years ago without any real improvement over EAP before turning back in their cars.

I am getting pretty unhappy thinking that I will never get anything close to FSD. I don't usually keep cars beyond a few years so feel like I have been scammed.

Same. I honestly want my FSD money back. I got it when it cost $5k, but it’s clear at this point that an actually useable version of FSD is at least a decade away.

Reactions: Reeler
I've used it a couple times at work when I was able to park close enough to be in range of it while standing under the covered entrance to my office building and it was raining. Otherwise hasn't seemed worth using due to it being pretty slow.

Would be better if it had maybe another 50 feet of range on it as I only get a "close enough" spot if I get in early enough... but worked fine when it was close enough.

This is in a relatively quiet lot though- I wouldn't try it 5:30 on a Friday evening at Costco.

I use it at work almost every day, but all it has to do is pull out of the space, turn left and drive 50 feet. No other possible lanes or any place to go so super simple

I do it just because I can, theres a walkway within GPS range before I get to the car so saves a little time

I’ve seen Elon making comments implying they’ve “solved” low speed autonomous driving with Smart Summon, so now all they need to do is to complete high speed autonomous driving.

Has Elon ever actually tried to use Smart Summon? It does not work well at all, to the point that it’s honestly just embarrassing for me to use. I look like a schmuck standing at the curb 15 feet away waiting 10 minutes for the car to figure out how to get to me when it would take me all of 30 seconds to just walk over to the car like a normal person. The car will take angles that are too wide, back up way past the center line of a lane (backing itself into a position that’s in the way of oncoming traffic), randomly stop repeatedly for ghost obstacles, and drive down the center of the lane instead of sticking to one side.

Of course I understand that all of these actions that humans do rather simply is very complicated to program into a computer, but it is certainly nowhere near ready for regular use.
Used twice when taking 91yr old disabled mom to hospital. When leaving in wheelchair in wintry cold, I smart summoned the car to the door, so that she wouldn't have to be pushed across the parking lot. She stayed in the heated entry, while the car came. It didn't stop curbside, but looking at openstreetmap.org, I see that the line of traffic should be pulled closer to the curb. Fixed it, hopefully next time, it'll stop curbside. Also, it went the wrong way on a one-way circle. Fixed all of that.

If you find the car driving down the middle of the parking lot lanes, maybe look at openstreetmap.org and check those lots. Set up 1-way lanes and pull the driving line to one side. That may help.

Tesla sure does get away with some stretch marketing by referring to these features as Full Self Driving. I am also not clear on how they can keep raising the price for FSD when it is not transferable to future Tesla vehicles. Furthermore, HW3 has been out for like 9 months or so now but how many HW 2.5 FSD owners have received the new hardware upgrade yet? For folks who only keep cars for 3 years or so, you may never even get the hardware upgrade during that window.

That is why in IMO, FSD should be a subscription. Let us subscribe to the specific FSD features that have value. For example, I may pay to play around with NoA but I have no interest in AutoPark and Summon. Furthermore, if the feature blows I want the option to unsubscribe until the feature is further developed.

Just to show new friends and family who have not seen it yet as merely a parlor trick. Last time I used it the car almost crashed into a cart corral. Not entirely sure if the car stopped in it's own and "saw" it or I lifted button just in time. Anyway, my insurance on my model 3 is only $600 a year and I'd like to keep it that way so use Summon very sparingly.

I've used it four or five times, most of those as a party trick in a very empty parking lot. It's a delightful mix of too slow and too dangerous. I second the complaint of several posters above. When it does actually make it to me at the curb it does it "nose to me" rather than parking next to the curb. Alas, this is what I suspect that the first "feature complete" version of the FSD will be like.

Reactions: Reeler

I use it all the time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Puddles and Reeler
And yeah, regarding auto park, that is equally useless. It’s slow as hell if

Where the hell do you live that your insurance is only $600/yr? Mine is more than double that, and I have a pristine 20+ year driving record.
Ohio. And that includes use of car for business and a higher than state minimum mandated liability. Don't ask me because the people around me are horrible drivers with high percentage of uninsured vehicles on the road. I was surprised when they quoted that.