Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone charge using an extension cord from their dryer plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone charge using an extension cord from their dryer plug? I’ve read mixed reviews online, Tesla recommends against this but many have had success doing it. My plug just falls short of the charger. I found this heavy duty cord online as well, kind of on the pricier side but this is the one that people have had success with, if anyone has a cheaper alternative, please post.

Does anyone charge using an extension cord from their dryer plug? I’ve read mixed reviews online, Tesla recommends against this but many have had success doing it. My plug just falls short of the charger. I found this heavy duty cord online as well, kind of on the pricier side but this is the one that people have had success with, if anyone has a cheaper alternative, please post.

If Tesla recommends against this, why question it? I think you need to talk to your home insurer first. You probably wont be covered if something fails while charging this way.

Regardless of the extension cord, if you are constantly swapping what's plugged in, you'll eventually wear out a consumer grade plug and it could become a fire hazard. It's safe (with the extension cord) as a short term solution, but a dedicated plug is the way to go long term.

Like a few folk on here, I have a 50a RV extension cord that has the 14-50’s neutral cut off so it can be used with either dryer or stove. There are lots of articles on the forums here around how to do that. I only use it for travelling but could be a full time deal if needed. Read up so you know what you’re doing so you don’t give yourself any nasty surprises.

Reactions: mrElbe
The literature about my Hubell 9450 (NEMA 14-50) says it is designed as a socket for industrial applications because it can tolerate frequent plug-unplug cycles. The insinuation as others mention is that el cheapo Home Depot specials are not so designed - not 14-50, and likely not dryer either. your dryer is meant to be left plugged in until you buy a new dryer. Frequent swaps - not good. If you are going to use an extension then consider - (a) not too long and (b) more than capable of handling the current. Also (c) be sure it's all put together tightly, if you attached pieces yourself. Loose connections are the major source of fires. (Number two is undersized cables) Tesla says don't so it because they can't see if you're doing it right. How reliable is your fire department?

Also, electrical code says don't draw more than 80% of breaker rating over extended periods. (Also this is how your wiring maybe is sized). So you should not draw more than 24 Amps continuously on a 30A circuit. If your car insists on more, you can limit amperage in your charging options on the car's screen.

I have used a similar cord 25 feet long. I have used it to charge at my wife's nieces. Dryer vent is by the driveway at the side of the house. Remove cover send extension cord down the dryer hose, remove hose at dryer end and connect into dryer plug. Cord on UMC not long enough.
Her husband is an electrical engineer; on my suggestion he strongly agreed to tone it down to 16a (from 24a, at 240v of course) due to age of house. Got a full charge overnight. I checked multiple times nothing got even remotely warm even though there was a heatwave >30o (86F).

I have used a similar cord 25 feet long. I have used it to charge at my wife's nieces. Dryer vent is by the driveway at the side of the house. Remove cover send extension cord down the dryer hose, remove hose at dryer end and connect into dryer plug. Cord on UMC not long enough.
Her husband is an electrical engineer; on my suggestion he strongly agreed to tone it down to 16a (from 24a, at 240v of course) due to age of house. Got a full charge overnight. I checked multiple times nothing got even remotely warm even though there was a heatwave >30o (86F).
Great info, thank you

Like a few folk on here, I have a 50a RV extension cord that has the 14-50’s neutral cut off so it can be used with either dryer or stove. There are lots of articles on the forums here around how to do that. I only use it for travelling but could be a full time deal if needed. Read up so you know what you’re doing so you don’t give yourself any nasty surprises.
I also have such a cord (with 14-50 neutral removed, with a big label stating "for EV charging ONLY", which is only used on road trips. I've used it to connect to the stove plug in a cottage and a dryer plug under similar circumstances. Always set the car charging current to 80% of the breaker current (that would be 32A for a stove plug and 24A for a dryer plug) to conform to the electrical code assumptions on allowable continuous current draw on a circuit, and not create a fire hazard. Also, be VERY careful if the cord is running through a doorway to reach the EV... slamming doors can damage the cable (fire and electrocution hazard) and even a partially open garage door can allow carbon monoxide into the house (assuming there's an ICE car present, of course).

I bought a GE 4-foot 50A-rated power cord to connect my Gen2 charger so I could plug it in to the NEMA 14-50 socket. When connecting the wiring in the charger - there is no connection for the (white) neutral, I had to cap it off inside the charger. Only the red and black (and of course, green ground) are connected.

Reactions: Smytty
I just went for the Parkworld 10-30 to 10-30 and 14-50 splitter. It comes with a ground lead that needs to be plugged in, for the Gen 2 mobile adapter to work. Got the 20ft. 14-50extension cable. Cost about $220 for the 3 parts.
Made a vid on how I set it up:

I have a 240v 30A extension cord, but haven't had to use it yet.

Provided the cord is properly sized, it should be fine.

Just check the voltage at your car end compared to the outlet, if your car is reading 220 volts and the outlet is suppling 240 at 40 Amps theres 800w of resistance probably manifesting in heat. That’s where the danger lies, but if you have no voltage drop and the cable is sized appropriately it’s fine. When in doubt lower the charge amperage to less than the cord rating. The fuse/cb is rated to protect the cable, not the appliance, you have to either trust the installation or be conservative in your power consumption.