Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else feel like the first 0-10mph are limited in the M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I definitely feel that way in the M3D. Wouldn't be surprised to hear it's also a bit but less limited in the M3P. By reducing initial torque I would imagine that reliability is boosted significantly. Quite a few ham fisted drivers out there, but also the torque is so huge it's easy to be on the wrong edge of enough.

No, I do not feel that way. Still on my list to do a couple runs with a VBOX just to prove torque is constant from approximately 0mph to where the pack limits power. It’s possible to limit jerk they do ramp torque in the first 1-3mph. But not 10mph. But need data to show if this is true.

This data/curves are available elsewhere I am sure, but wanted to get data with latest software, etc.

Whether they could increase torque at the low end all the way up to the pack-limited speed (not what you were asking about), is subject to debate and no one knows what the limit is.

The vehicle is not traction limited for drag runs. Assuming dry pavement, the MXM4s are plenty good with current torque limits. This topic has been discussed and resolved elsewhere. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/drag-racing-tires-for-model-3.135518

Last edited:
Confirm
I definitely feel that way in the M3D. Wouldn't be surprised to hear it's also a bit but less limited in the M3P. By reducing initial torque I would imagine that reliability is boosted significantly. Quite a few ham fisted drivers out there, but also the torque is so huge it's easy to be on the wrong edge of enough.

Confirm my M3D is the same. I speculate Tesla is attempting to mitigate drive-train wear that would occur during initial high torque step-in.

The acceleration plots posted above look a little strange. They aren't really self-consistent; the derivative of the velocity plot doesn't appear to match the acceleration plot (visually...would have to have the raw data to check).
It looks like a low pass filter has been applied to the acceleration data, which would explain why these plots look this way (acceleration ramping up from zero over non-negligible time). Not saying there isn't some initial ramp of torque (obviously it has to ramp up somehow over a period of time), just to me it doesn't feel like it lasts very long.

Anyway, whenever I get around to running the VBOX, I'll post the data here. I'm sure someone has already posted data somewhere for the P3D, though in a very cursory Google search I didn't find a useful plot.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Ok, maybe my first rurun was off. Here is a better ru with a decent kick in the beginning: Imgur

However, to be clear, it still isnt getting anywhere near 1g off the line which is saddening to me. Slamming the pedal at around 20mph gives me the tingles though.

Looks a little better. Note in this plot, however, that according to the velocity (speed) vs. time plot, the acceleration actually looks FASTER at first (the slope is higher at first). That is definitely not likely to be correct, but just to point out that the derivative of the velocity vs. time plot does not align with the acceleration vs. time plot in these data sets, so something is suspect.

I suspect there is just a little misalignment of the zero time point in the velocity vs. time data, and there is a low pass filter on the acceleration vs. time data. (That is not to say there isn't a ramp up in acceleration - there will be - but if we want to see it the filter would need to be removed.)

Last edited:
I totally agree with this, i noticed it immediately and had the exact same thoughts as you that it has great "punch" if you mash the accelerator at ~20-30mph but much less when starting from a stop.

Here's my previous thread discussing this, it's definitely a thing and hopefully for reliability reasons...

P3D+ Acceleration

Reactions: Drizzle