Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else have trouble buckling in Child Seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my MS a few months ago and am still struggling with car seats. Luckily, my daughter (5 years old) is into a booster seat now but the buckle/unbuckle every time she's in the car has become a nightmare.

In my old car (Audi A7), she could buckle herself. In the Tesla, the seats seem so narrow that her booster seat covers the buckle. I constantly have to pull her booster seat slightly forward, wrap the belt the around her and the seat to buckle it, then push her booster back. Reverse the process again for getting out. It's SUPER annoying.

I've looked at narrower seats but everything still covers the buckle. I'm really sick of this dance every time we get in the car, especially knowing she can do it in other cars all on her own. Has anyone had luck using any other methods?

Thanks,

We haven't struggled with boosters but the standard car seats were almost impossible for even us adults to get buckled. The buckles are in an awkward place so I'm not surprised. The good thing about these little humans is they adapt quickly.

Biggest problem I have with the car seats is my laggard kids taking 5 minutes to get out of them (and out of the car) when we get where we're going...as if they couldn't be bothered with whatever schedule WE have going at the moment.

• Funny
Reactions: ekendahl
I had same issue but was able to find one that works fine. It is a Costco brand seat that’s more narrow at the bottom. Now my son can do it by himself relatively easy. pits not the best seat for drink holder or comfort really but he hasn’t complained so it works.

I got a seat belt extender; it is I think 2 inches of webbing and adds a total of 6 inches plug to plug. I'm not completely comfortable with it but by all appearances the belt still crosses my kid's chest and at his waist. He was totally unable to belt himself before due to the almost recessed nature of the rear seat plugs. My father in law also has a really hard time back there.

Reactions: KyleDay
My 7 year old gets in and out by slithering under the belts keeping them buckled. About once per month the belts get a bit too far and they lock, but it isn’t a big deal to unbuckle, retract and re-buckle.

Keep in mind that the buckle extenders aren’t crash tested unlike the rest of the set-up.

It’s the most annoying aspect of the car. I used the Cosi-Max for the booster seat with the back(which worked out well) and now I use the Cosco booster seat. He still struggles with it because I have a seat protector under it which covers part of the buckle.