Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else have zero interest in EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided not to have EAP on my vehicle. I hated when I did a test drive, but I get that it may have been because it was new to me. The more I read about it, the happier I am I did not get it though as it seems it you have to really pay attention the entire to make sure it does do something wrong. I think I would find that way more stressful than just steering myself.

Paying attention is a requirement to driving, AP or not.

That being said, its not for everyone. Some people aren't ready to give up control of driving to a computer. Wondering constantly if the car will behave or kill you wouldn't be a good experience.

To this point, I feel AP has behaved nearly flawlessly. Its asked me to take over 1 time, when the paint on the road disappeared. Its made one swerve during an automatic lane change back to the initial lane. Overall those are acceptable to me in the approximately 1500-1800 miles of AP driving to date. Its priceless in stop and go traffic, and divided highways. Its a bit scary on undivided 2 lane highways, simply because a .1 second failure might end in a high speed head on collision. Therefore I only use it where I feel safe doing so. Its not for every situation either.

My wife has absolutely ZERO interest. Does not even want to try it with me in the car. I have had the car 1 year and use it most of the time. I love it. But it is a driver assist package. Like any driver assist feature you are responsible. Example: Cruise Control to me requires much more effort to use and it has been around on most cars for a very long time. Adaptive Cruise Control on many cars is so much better. But like @Vines says it is not for everyone.

If you hate cruise control and you have been protesting gas cars since they switched to gas from electric in the beginning of the last century, then EAP is probably not for you.

But if you like enhanced safety and reducing the workload when driving, EAP is definitely a solution. Last night I was driving in rain on the interstate. Pretty miserable driving. Something as simple as changing lanes was made much safer, as after I checked, the car also checked to assure no issues with cars around me. There was once when a truck started changing lanes after I did, both going into the same lane, I didn't see it, but both the autopilot and right seat driver saw it and the car calmly aborted the lane change. In stop and go traffic, the TACC is phenomenal in watching and adjusting for traffic in front of you.

Are there situations in which there may be issues, sure, but to get anywhere, you have to take baby steps. (unless we just want to ban all human drivers and really solve the problem at once)

Paying attention is a requirement to driving, AP or not.

That being said, its not for everyone. Some people aren't ready to give up control of driving to a computer. Wondering constantly if the car will behave or kill you wouldn't be a good experience.

To this point, I feel AP has behaved nearly flawlessly. Its asked me to take over 1 time, when the paint on the road disappeared. Its made one swerve during an automatic lane change back to the initial lane. Overall those are acceptable to me in the approximately 1500-1800 miles of AP driving to date. Its priceless in stop and go traffic, and divided highways. Its a bit scary on undivided 2 lane highways, simply because a .1 second failure might end in a high speed head on collision. Therefore I only use it where I feel safe doing so. Its not for every situation either.

AP is not for everyone just as a Tesla is not for everyone at this point. I have always been an early adopter, heck I had one of the first metal plows but at 78 yo I have a lot of friends who glaze over when I tell them the instrument panel is a touch screen. I have met plenty of much younger folks that know absolutely nada about Tesla. But I have been using AP since I got my 3 in August, mostly in city traffic and four lane roads. We’ve done a couple of road trips, put 7100 miles on in 3 months. I’ve experienced plenty of hiccups with AP, including flashing red screens and emergency beeping but I always have my hands on the wheel and my foot usually but not always hovering between the brake and the accelerator. It doesn’t scare me but I fully understand why it would cause heart attacks in some people. I’m in it for the long game and being part of the future.

EAP is literally the reason I own the car. If it didn't exist I'd have just kept driving my Lexus.

It makes my 75ish mile, 90% highway, roundtrip drive to/from work about 9000% nicer/easier/better.

You have to pay attention, but you do tremendously less work than actually driving, especially in stop/go traffic.

Now if you only drive 5 miles a day and it's all local undivided streets it's probably not gonna be super helpful.

But on highways and in traffic it's fantastic

I actually love it. Use it as often as I can. And it continues to amaze me as it is actually getting better as I use it.

Example: first time I used it on my way home from work, there is this sharp turn and the eap did the turn very poorly, it actually drove over the solid yellow Lanes and only slowed down right in the middle of the turn. At all times I was really to take over if it ever got out of control, it didn't, it was able to manage by itself. But yeah it was not pretty.

Then the second time around, I manually reduced the speed just before the same tight turn and the auto steer was much better, almost perfect.

The third time I didn't manual reduced the speed before the same tight turn, well to my surprise, the EAP reduced the speed by it self and performed the turn perfectly.

The more you use EAP the better it gets. At first I didn't believe it was real Ai but I'm convinced.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I hate driving without EAP available to me.. and I own a 1015 Model S with AP1 under the hood. But i'm a funny case.. I find AP1 drives nearly as well as I do... so i'm careful.. but I let it do it's thing for the most part. I find AP1 liberating even with a scare or 2 after roughly 3 years of use.

if you have never had a scare when "manually" driving and not using EAP b/c you want to avoid a scare, I applaud you. but I also think you are not being honest.

Reactions: morepizza and jgs
The way EAP/FSD is packages is really messy.

It only really works for people like me who are really into autonomous driving technology, and who want to be part of the journey.

But, it's not ideally suited for someone who simply wants to get from point A to point B in a manner they're comfortable with, EAP right now doesn't beat TACC itself in doing that for a lot of us including myself. Now I don't really care as I'm in it for the long game, and I don't mind the incremental improvements to AP.

There is a lot of challenges to AP (with V9) such as:
Automatically changing lanes without glitching and giving up
Very weather dependent side monitoring
No debris detection
No ability to sense the ruts in the road where the water collects (I think there is a better name for them)
The loss of situational awareness that some of us have (including me) when not having to steer
The inability of AP to do lane positioning that makes sense (the middle isn't always ideal)

Obviously AP has a long ways to go, and this isn't even including summons/self-parking/etc.

So you'd think Tesla would allow TACC to be bought separately.

But, allowing TACC to be bought separately causes lots of problems. The first problem is purely revenue in that for a lot of people it would be enough itself. Not having TACC for a long road trips is really sucky.

The second problem is that TACC is actually a huge safety component. You can see this in how it changes the behavior of a person driving. Anything from the following distance to aggressiveness. People driving on TACC are likely more chill. The number one accident on a freeway is traffic slowing down and idiots not paying attention. TACC is paying attention and slows down.

This a problem for Tesla because they want to demonstrate that AP is safer than manual driving. They don't want to be in a position of having to go up against a human+TACC.

That's a very sensible driver.

Now I don't know how much longer this can go on for.

Other car companies offer Adaptive cruise control as standard.
EAP is evolving and might not need TACC to be included to justify it's purchase.
The $7K price is going to be hard for someone with a HW2+ car to swing. So why not offer TACC only for $2K for these people?

I hate driving without EAP available to me.. and I own a 1015 Model S with AP1 under the hood. But i'm a funny case.. I find AP1 drives nearly as well as I do... so i'm careful.. but I let it do it's thing for the most part. I find AP1 liberating even with a scare or 2 after roughly 3 years of use.

if you have never had a scare when "manually" driving and not using EAP b/c you want to avoid a scare, I applaud you. but I also think you are not being honest.

I bought an AP1 2015 Model S at around the same time, but I came away from it differently.

Initially the car had TACC only and I loved that.
Then AP was released in Oct of 2015 and I went on a road trip with it, and I loved it despite the times it would dive for exits.
Then slowly over time I started to realize I was losing situational awareness. Like not seeing debris in the road, and avoiding it like I normally would.
The scary moments were always with truck lust. Where the truck created a shadow over the line, and the car would slowly veer towards it trying to pick it up again. So then I started tensing up before going past semi's.
Eventually I stopped using AP for the most part, and stuck with TACC.

A few months ago I traded in my Model S in on a 3. What made the trade in especially hard is I really loved TACC with AP1. It was solid and what it did without having any drawbacks. I didn't have any significant false braking events with TACC on AP1. Sure minor "ghost" slowdowns, but nothing scary.

With the 3 I feel myself going through the same type of experience, but it's too early to say what the results will be. I got V9 with drive-on-nav in Oct just like I got AP in Oct of 2015.

Then slowly over time I started to realize I was losing situational awareness. Like not seeing debris in the road, and avoiding it like I normally would.

I don't know if I agree with you about the situational awareness point.

I too have had moments where it has decreased... like.. AP1's got this.. and then oops... I just ran over some tire ware...

but I like that I can check out what's going on around me b/c I know AP1 is doing the heavy lifting here...

you know... that's what AP1 and EAP is for right? it's the heavy lifting. i'm not commenting on FSD -- which is coming, sooner than we might think -- but for the heavy lifting... AP1 is amazing..