Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else's 3 whistle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use some blue painters tape to cover where sections of trim meet to find what is doing it. A previous post suggested the black triangular trim next to the mirror, although I know one other Model 3 owner that had some felt put between the bottom of the mirror and the mount to help. For the record mine doesn't whistle but did hear it in the other Model 3.

I found on my car (vin 52070) both mirrors whistle from 50 mph and up. When I cover the space between the chrome and the bottom of the mirror the whistle stops. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this at the service center?
Could you provide a little more detail of where you think the whistling comes from? Mine does this on the driver side from about 50-70mph and it drives me nuts.

Could you provide a little more detail of where you think the whistling comes from? Mine does this on the driver side from about 50-70mph and it drives me nuts.

It's the space where the plastic of the housing of the mirror and the chrome meet. If you are driving you can try to rest your left hand on the chrome support of the mirror and just wrap your index finger around the front of the mirror and cover the gap where the chrome and the plastic meet to see if you have the same problem as I do. I put a piece of the fuzzy side of Velcro in that gap and it makes it better but not totally gone. When the mirror folds sometimes the velcro pops out. I just contacted Tesla to see what they say.

I found on my car (vin 52070) both mirrors whistle from 50 mph and up. When I cover the space between the chrome and the bottom of the mirror the whistle stops. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this at the service center?

Had this issue on my passenger side mirror. The service center replaced the whole mirror encasement. The wind noise decreased quite a bit after that.

The noise became louder over time and even could be heard with the windows up.

After three test drives and a very patient tech we isolated and solved the noise. For me it was every single time I drove over 40 mph.

The tech added a body filler under where the brightwork meets the door jam, popped the cap off the mirror and lined it with felt. It's so silent now. <3

While we were in bumper-to-bumper traffic back to the SC he told me he was going to log the fix in the system so that when others go to their SC and mention whistling mirror there's a solution.

Good luck!

The noise became louder over time and even could be heard with the windows up.

After three test drives and a very patient tech we isolated and solved the noise. For me it was every single time I drove over 40 mph.

The tech added a body filler under where the brightwork meets the door jam, popped the cap off the mirror and lined it with felt. It's so silent now. <3

While we were in bumper-to-bumper traffic back to the SC he told me he was going to log the fix in the system so that when others go to their SC and mention whistling mirror there's a solution.

Good luck!
I'm having the same issue now. It seems to have popped up sometime over the last couple months and I think it's getting worse. Was the fix believed to be the felt in the mirror cap?

It's the space where the plastic of the housing of the mirror and the chrome meet. If you are driving you can try to rest your left hand on the chrome support of the mirror and just wrap your index finger around the front of the mirror and cover the gap where the chrome and the plastic meet to see if you have the same problem as I do. I put a piece of the fuzzy side of Velcro in that gap and it makes it better but not totally gone. When the mirror folds sometimes the velcro pops out. I just contacted Tesla to see what they say.
Did you get this issue resolved? If so, what was the fix for you?

Interesting. I've noticed when the windshield wipers are running intermittently and resting in their upper position, they sometimes whistle. Once they tuck themselves under the hood the sound goes away.