Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone finance their panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for my loan:

I'm about $38k all in (exc tax inc). I put $10k initial payment so I don't finance the PWs. Leaving $28k which is the Mosaic loan. Expectation is still to pay the tax credit to the $28k loan amount before the 18th month. The interesting part is that the entire crew started installing.. and I had to call Tesla and ask how I pay them the $10k. I said I will get an invoice after they're done. At this point, I'm hoping for the Paypal link for the points. =)

for my loan:

I'm about $38k all in (exc tax inc). I put $10k initial payment so I don't finance the PWs. Leaving $28k which is the Mosaic loan. Expectation is still to pay the tax credit to the $28k loan amount before the 18th month. The interesting part is that the entire crew started installing.. and I had to call Tesla and ask how I pay them the $10k. I said I will get an invoice after they're done. At this point, I'm hoping for the Paypal link for the points. =)

I got a PayPal link today, about a week after my installation was completed and Tesla was ready to apply for PTO.

It worked like any regular PayPal transaction, no fees. Unfortunately I don't own a credit card with any sort of perks, so I paid it straight from my bank account.
Ok thx .. somehow had it in my head the merchant (tesla) could not allow cc payments for certain transactions and/or tack on an extra fee to offset fee they are charged .. maybe i’m thinking of diff payment platform

Ok thx .. somehow had it in my head the merchant (tesla) could not allow cc payments for certain transactions and/or tack on an extra fee to offset fee they are charged .. maybe i’m thinking of diff payment platform

I know what you mean. I tried to buy a car with an AmEx. .they said sure.. but it's X% more. Obviously making up for the AmEx charges. I've read that no fees at least from Tesla since it's Paypal with a set dollar amount. Not sure what I'm looking for since 1% doesn't mean anything nor does 10k point buy anything. I guess it's more for the mystery of what that might turn into.

I'm on day 2 of the install.. with apparently at least 2 more days to go on a Large system. They told me it was largely the demand and the resource they have or don't have. And it was hot as heck in Houston today so the crew really couldn't work. They hid out in the shade with a few large fans that I provided. Day 1 was the GW2. Today was 1/2 of panels plus inverter. Day 3 likely will be the 2 PWs, remaining panels and tying it all together. Exciting times. Too bad I can't do anything with it until inspection and PTO. At this point, I'm just looking at net metering options and switching service providers.

For anyone else with a current Mosaic account, it looks like if you login to your original borrower portal on Financing options for solar energy systems, batteries, and home improvements, simplified., they're asking users to create accounts on a new Log On portal.

The new portal actually looks nice and displays a bunch of information that wasn't on the old portal, including the "Total payoff amount" which appears to be the current account balance plus 5 days of interest (presumably to cover 5 days of processing). Obscured the exact amounts, but screenshots below. Already owe $12.22 in interest :eek:

Screenshot from 2020-09-11 11-18-29.png

Screenshot from 2020-09-11 11-20-59.png

• Informative
Reactions: Electrph
For anyone else with a current Mosaic account, it looks like if you login to your original borrower portal on Financing options for solar energy systems, batteries, and home improvements, simplified., they're asking users to create accounts on a new Log On portal.

The new portal actually looks nice and displays a bunch of information that wasn't on the old portal, including the "Total payoff amount" which appears to be the current account balance plus 5 days of interest (presumably to cover 5 days of processing). Obscured the exact amounts, but screenshots below. Already owe $12.22 in interest :eek:

View attachment 587049
View attachment 587051
So asking what may be a “duh” question ... is undisbursed principle the amount they expect back from you when you get Fed rebate ?

I got my paypal link yesterday as well and was able to pay with my card mapped to Paypal. Didn't see any additional fees.. at least not on the invoice nor on my Paypal transaction details.

I paid via paypal in january, and checked multiple times because I was concerned about mystery tacked on fees, but there were not any. I checked, and checked (and checked again).

• Funny
Reactions: Electrph
I know there are a lot of negative reviews of Mosaic complaining about fumbled automatic payments and penalties and such... I'm happy to report that this does not seem to be true.

Automatic debit for my first scheduled payment went through just fine. Although about 60% of the first payment went to interest :p

Hmm, Mosaic probably does need to improve their processes a bit.

I paid off the remainder of my loan (got a single payment confirmed email, but no notification of the loan being paid off), and now when I try and login to the borrower's portal I'm greeted with an unceremonious "Invalid Account Number." I guess that's one way to say your loan is done.

Lol I thought you were financing the bridge between the date of payment and when you got your income tax return back. Did your employer set the record on getting your W2 issued and the IRS processed you as the first return?

But anyway, nice job sticking it to Mosaic... their end game is to trap people into high rates, but you played them.

Since starting this thread it seems that much has changed wrt financing. It appears the rate is 0.9% with only 10% down and no payment at 18 months equivalent to tax credit. I never got around to doing my install but restarted the process the other day. I may now in fact finance them at this nearly free interest rate as long as there are no penalties for paying before maturity.

Since starting this thread it seems that much has changed wrt financing. It appears the rate is 0.9% with only 10% down and no payment at 18 months equivalent to tax credit. I never got around to doing my install but restarted the process the other day. I may now in fact finance them at this nearly free interest rate as long as there are no penalties for paying before maturity.

Let us know how it goes. I'm curious whether this new loan is still through Mosaic/Sunlight Financial, or whether Tesla has some sort of new arrangement.