Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone finance their panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One 1, they are expecting you to deposit your Federal Tax Credit (26%) before the 18 month mark in order to keep the lower monthly payment. But if there is any accrued interest in your account prior to that deposit, a portion of it will go to interest instead of all principal.

On 2, there's no early payoff penalty, and it says that any additional payments made after month 18 will shorten the payoff period. So there's no reason why you couldn't pay it off early.

Thanks for the clarification @BrettS , this is only my second large loan after my mortgage, so it's a bit difficult getting to grips with all of the terms. They do seem to be a little sneaky by starting the loan on the installation date, and then not requiring your first payment until 3 months after that date. So they do want the loan to accrue a little bit of interest before you can pay down any of the principal.

It sounds like the right place to make any large lump sum outside of the initial down payment is at the pre-18th month mark. You have the option to put in your tax credit plus more to lower the total cost of the loan. effectively getting you a semi-loan period to that pre-18th month mark to do something else with the capital such as other investments. Of course you'll be paying interested leading to this point.

Reactions: willow_hiller
So some (temporary) bad news, some good news, and some odd news.

Asking Tesla to add the down payment to my order reset the pricing and bumped me up from $23,500 to $24,600. I gave them a call and they said it was an accident and sent me a new order page with the $23,500 restored.

On the good news front, I had assumed that down payments would be due in a similar schedule to cash (50% before and 50% after install), but instead they're due 5 days after permit inspection.

And on the odd news front, the down payment is made directly to Tesla (they're calling it an "initial payment"), so Mosaic does not factor it in for interest rates or amortization. (I don't know if they ever offer less than 3.99% APR anyway). But in my new Mosaic loan agreement, they're factoring in a 26% prepayment of the financed amount, rather than a 26% prepayment of the total system cost, which is a little funny considering that 26% of my total system cost will be significantly greater than 26% of my financed amount.

So some (temporary) bad news, some good news, and some odd news.

Asking Tesla to add the down payment to my order reset the pricing and bumped me up from $23,500 to $24,600. I gave them a call and they said it was an accident and sent me a new order page with the $23,500 restored.

On the good news front, I had assumed that down payments would be due in a similar schedule to cash (50% before and 50% after install), but instead they're due 5 days after permit inspection.

And on the odd news front, the down payment is made directly to Tesla (they're calling it an "initial payment"), so Mosaic does not factor it in for interest rates or amortization. (I don't know if they ever offer less than 3.99% APR anyway). But in my new Mosaic loan agreement, they're factoring in a 26% prepayment of the financed amount, rather than a 26% prepayment of the total system cost, which is a little funny considering that 26% of my total system cost will be significantly greater than 26% of my financed amount.
They go based thinking you will finance 100% of the project and 26% is the ITC. So you are giving them the your tax savings some time the first 18 months of financing. That's the only thing I can think of. LMK what it turns out to be.

They go based thinking you will finance 100% of the project and 26% is the ITC. So you are giving them the your tax savings some time the first 18 months of financing. That's the only thing I can think of. LMK what it turns out to be.

Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking too. They just default to 26% of the loan, assuming the loan covers the whole system.

Maybe down payments are rare enough that their systems aren't set up to account for them?

Update on the payment process. Tesla now uses "Plaid" instead of PayPal for payment of the final invoice, and it does not let you use credit card. I also only had one payment for the entire system after passing inspection, no first payment upon installation or any of that.

So it looks like the days of "credit card financing" or a bunch of points earned for purchase of the system are no longer... :oops:

Update on the payment process. Tesla now uses "Plaid" instead of PayPal for payment of the final invoice, and it does not let you use credit card. I also only had one payment for the entire system after passing inspection, no first payment upon installation or any of that.

So it looks like the days of "credit card financing" or a bunch of points earned for purchase of the system are no longer... :oops:

Plaid required you to connect a bank account for ACH? It's funny since Plaid is owned by Visa; you figure they'd actually encourage customers to scrub some fees through a Visa transaction.

This was just so Musk could announce "We've gone plaid."

Though there was some thought they used PayPal because of Musk's connection to the company, but I guess no longer. I wonder if Tesla still has a way to process these payments if you call directly, as I think they did do this for some (but it may have been done via PayPal.) Certainly if they told you that you could use Paypal, that would be reasonable to expect. For everybody else who just heard about it, it really is too bad, but I am not really surprised - it seems like a huge expense for Tesla and not something I expect their peers offer.

Has anyone had any problems refinancing their mortgage with a solar loan? Do banks make you pay it off before you can refi?

If your solar loan is secured by your house (like a HELOC or PACE loan the Refi lender may require special consideration to mortgage. I completed a Refi a few months ago with Rocket Mortgage and they asked me to pay off the HELOC before proceeding.

Even If your solar is financed by a personal loan or has no lien on your home, a Refi lender will still consider the monthly payments as a drag on your DTI and FCF. So the solar could impact your Refi if it’s pushing your risk profile outside of the box the lender is using. While interest rates have come down, lenders are tightening who they’ll lend to.

Must be a very new change. We paid final 50% 10 days ago on PayPal using a Visa card. Did the same thing with $100 down, and the first 50% payment to get construction scheduled.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
If your solar loan is secured by your house (like a HELOC or PACE loan the Refi lender may require special consideration to mortgage. I completed a Refi a few months ago with Rocket Mortgage and they asked me to pay off the HELOC before proceeding.

Even If your solar is financed by a personal loan or has no lien on your home, a Refi lender will still consider the monthly payments as a drag on your DTI and FCF. So the solar could impact your Refi if it’s pushing your risk profile outside of the box the lender is using. While interest rates have come down, lenders are tightening who they’ll lend to.

Thanks. How about Tesla and whoever handles the loan (Mosaic)? Unsecured loan or still a problem when refinancing?

Has anyone requested to keep their SREC's while financing through Tesla? I called in and they had no problem with my request. After a couple minutes on hold they came back on and said it was removed. I saw the credit/negative value disappear from the top of the "Pricing Details" section with the costs and "Solar/Powerwall Bundling Discount", but I am now seeing it in the credits section with the "MD Solar Energy Grant", "Federal Tax Credit", etc. I'm honestly not sure if it was in that section previously.

Has anyone requested to keep their SREC's while financing through Tesla? I called in and they had no problem with my request. After a couple minutes on hold they came back on and said it was removed. I saw the credit/negative value disappear from the top of the "Pricing Details" section with the costs and "Solar/Powerwall Bundling Discount", but I am now seeing it in the credits section with the "MD Solar Energy Grant", "Federal Tax Credit", etc. I'm honestly not sure if it was in that section previously.

Yes, I'm in MD as well and this was explained to me as a quirk of the system. They always show state incentives, even when Tesla doesn't pay them. As long as it's not being subtracted from the system cost, you're set. In my case, I made sure that my loan plus my down payment plus my deposit added up exactly to my total system cost.

Yes, I'm in MD as well and this was explained to me as a quirk of the system. They always show state incentives, even when Tesla doesn't pay them. As long as it's not being subtracted from the system cost, you're set. In my case, I made sure that my loan plus my down payment plus my deposit added up exactly to my total system cost.
Same thing here, in MD. I had a particular concern because one version of our contract they mistakenly added language assigning the SRECs to Tesla (and didn't even give me the credit.) They actually caught their mistake, so I believe it was just that.

Just to be safe (and because it makes sense anyway, money-wise) I would suggest beginning the registration process as soon as you get PTO. I did see one person mention there was some confusion between them and Tesla over SRECs (may be a different state) and it helps to be first so Tesla's application will be the one rejected.

Has anyone actually made a monthly payment to Mosaic or Sunlight financial, yet? I'm curious if they report the principal component of each payment, or if that's something I'll need to calculate myself. I want to try and factor in any interest paid into my payback period calculations.