Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone foresee Model S updates with the Model 3 on the way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will hazard a guess that the Model S and X redos will concentrate more on technical issues like increased efficiency, replacing the ancient 12V and simplifying production processes. My guess is that those changes will probably happen a year or so following Model 3, maybe a little longer, but some fo the technical improvements will happen sooner. I have zero insight on precisely what they'll be other than including all the best driver features or Model 3 and a handful of production/maintenance easing updates. I think the next updates will be primarily efficiency oriented with thinks like HUD being there too.

I hope they NEVER change the body of the Model S.

I think it's perfect as it is, and all the focus should go on refining the interior and quality. It is an iconic shape, like a 911 - minor tweaks over the next decade while putting all the development into perfecting the quality and reliability would be the best use of Tesla's resources.

Keeping things largely the same will hopefully allow them to catch up with making replacement parts as well.

Reactions: bmah and TomatoOne
They need to do something to keep the 3 from cannibalizing S sales, especially as the backlog in 3 orders gets shorter. The 3's interior is almost the same as an S viewed from the side, but viewed from the front it's narrower. it's more efficient due to lower drag and lighter. A base model S 60 is slightly over twice the price of an equivalent range stock model 3. Very few people are going to pay double for a few inch wider car, extra trunk/frunk space, and a 2 inch bigger screen. And tesla has no reason not to offer all the high margin upgrades on the 3 that it can if it already developed them.

* Definitely change to 2170 packs as soon as they have the engineering done and cell/pack production exceeds the rate they can build 3's. Cheaper, lighter so better acceleration and range at same energy capacity, could potentially fit more energy in, but per musk's comments they don't see much demand for >100kWh after the lighter packs improve performance.

* They are very likely to start offering more premium upgrades to the S - the extra space can fit bigger, better seats, which is still a negative for some people comparing to mercedes, audi, volvo, lexus luxury. The director of interior engineering from volvo, the AR/HUD people they have hired from microsoft and others, have all been doing something for the past 1-2 years that we haven't seen yet.

* any tech they have on the 3 at the time. The last thing they want is a customer who likes the S but buys a 3 for one option not on the S yet. this may include HUD, the allegedly improved HVAC,

Reactions: JPUConn
Ok I know this sounds like a dumb question. But... does anyone think Model S updates may be coming, in an effort to further differentiate (and justify the cost difference) between the S and 3?

I get the impression that no one really knows about updates until they happen. But have there been any major updates that the Tesla faithful saw coming? AP1 and 2 hardware? The Model S facelift? Or were those just bombs out of no where?

I am one who refuses to believe that the 3 will simply be a smaller S that is magically more affordable. I have recently made the decision to pursue an S, but just want to optimize my timing (as impossible as that may sound to the experienced).

Oh totally. 100%. Every quarter Tesla seem to launch something new to try and push the sales of the Model S. Especially at the top end. Look at what's happened each quarter (i've probably missed a few here): 4wd. $1000 referrals and prizes. Insane. Ludicrous. P100D. S60's with range upgrade in software. Refreshed front. Secret discounting policy. End of the infinite mile S/C. Tesla used to boast about being supply constrained. Might have been true originally. Call me synical - but they wouldn't necessarily be doing all the above if they were supply constrained for the last 2 years.
Elon said 6 months ago the "100" pack was the last upgrade they could do under the "current" cell technology. I expect them to be pushing 120+ by the time the Gigafactory is up to proper speed.
The Model S is often criticised for it's poor / cheap interior next to the top end german cars (many Youtube critics have said it doesn't feel like a $120k car inside - the plasticy/flimsy airvents was one criticism that came up, the nice "clunk" of a BMW door closing, the odd rattles, panel gaps). It's going to look a lot more dated against the Model 3 when it comes out. The main thing the S will have going for it is higher kWh, faster acceleration and being a hatchback (for people who want something thicker than a surfboard) ;-)

Last edited:
I imagine than sooner or later a "Saloon" version will be offered with fully reclined rear seats,
in the manner of first-class airplane seating, especially targeting chauffeur-driven Asian market.
(See below, Lucid Air $160k prototype)

020a12_c2f3ada78c5b4d27bf3e06e058ff9d67-mv2_d_3600_2250_s_2-720x480-c.jpg

Want those seats so badly....why doesn't Elon make them?

Reactions: NeverFollow
Any changes to Model S need only be incremental. For instance, look at Model X. Visually it looks very similar to S, but if you look closer you'll see all kinds of differences. The changes to Model S design only need to be incremental. It can still retain the same overall look of today while becoming sleeker and more futuristic like the X and 3.

Reactions: calisnow
But if you mean body style updates the I have no idea when.
Personally I think the body is so gorgeous it doesn't need refreshing.
It is functional stuff on the interior and ride quality that need work.

Who know, Tesla might one day hire Shunsaku Kodama who redesigned the current Prius....
2016 Prius Designer Owes Inspiration to Lady Gaga - HybridCars.com

“There were very high expectations for the Prius,” said Kodama of his first assignment
overseeing a revised nameplate to Automotive News. “As a concept, we were thinking
Lady Gaga. We wanted to be more extreme in our design.”

20150909_01_02.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Bangor Bob
Didn't Tesla hire the designer who did all the new Volvo interiors several months ago? Was this to put the final touches on the model 3 or to upgrade the S? Perhaps a combination of both. I am waiting for next bump in interior design to replace my 2015 P85D. Other touches like a bit more range beyond the P100D would help as well. So I'm guessing change will come a quarter or two removed from the 3 rollout. Maybe mid 2018

I think that an interior upgrade will provide the most bang for the buck for potential Model S enhancements, so this may be the most likely upgrade to come next.

GSP

I share similar concern, with the current body style (even with the face lift), it has been practically the same look since 2012. It will be bad if 1-2 months after purchase a Model S, Tesla decided completely new body style for Model S.
imo, Model 3 will get most attention . . . and re-do of MS/MX is going to take a herculean effort due to drag CD constraints - meaning 'style' - simply for the sake of style/change is not so easy when one is primarily taking into account how perfect air flows over the ride.

Yes, there probably will be Model S updates, but I would expect them to come on par with 3 launch or slightly after.

I have to imagine there is really only one train of thought at Tesla right now, the companies lives and dies by Model 3. I'm sure the Model S/X is not getting so much love over the next 12 months...