Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone hate the battery consumption on the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned a P90DX and now own a 100DX. The 90 did seemed to use more "juice" I would guess 10 to 20 watts per mile. The 90 almost never made rated range in the summer. The 100 regularly does so. Both used way more in the winter. I believe the rated range for the 100 is conservative and the 90 was not realistic. I know the EPA rates them but but there is a noticeable difference for some reason.

That said the extra rated range on the 100 is really nice!

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
Not sure if this is correct but it seems that way
Could certainly be correct in AZ if you don't precondition. If you look at the current trip meter when you first start driving, you will likely see 1,000+ consumption for the first bit until it evens out. Even if you do precondition you may see this simply because accelerating takes more power than anything else and you need non-accelerating time that comes after you've started driving to even out the measurement.

We have an S 100D and X 100D that we use for short road trips.

Several weeks ago, we took the X on a trip, charged it to 90% overnight and were pleasantly surprised we could easily make the 200 mile trip home without having to make a supercharging stop, with at least 10% charge left when we reached home.

After driving an S P85 on road trips for several years, the S & X 100D's do much better on range, especially the S with an extra 10%, compared to our X.

I had an X 75D for two years. Last month I upgraded to an X 100D. My X 75D got about 70% of the rated miles on average. It was quite annoying. Even though it was rated for 237 miles I could not take it from Seattle to Portland without charging at least once (180 miles).

So far my X100 D has been much better. I’m getting closer to 85 to 95% of the rated miles without changing my driving habits. I don’t know if the difference is due to 75 vs 100 or due to improvements in who knows what over the last two years.

My guess with absolutely no data other than my own experience is that Tesla overinflates the mileage of the lower capacity batteries.

Teslafi probably has the aggregate data to confirm this but I know it’s probably quite a ways down on the feature request list. :(

You might want to switch from mile of range to % and see if you feel different about it. I had much range anxiety when it was showing miles.
That is a good idea, as the navigation shows predicted percentage on arrival, so I will be interested in how accurate is that forecast and after a while, I will be able to have greater confidence of range on a charge.

I have noticed on recent trips that predicted arrival percentage tending to rise as the journey progressed.

Reactions: scsmx and spectrum
I had an X 75D for two years. Last month I upgraded to an X 100D. My X 75D got about 70% of the rated miles on average. It was quite annoying. Even though it was rated for 237 miles I could not take it from Seattle to Portland without charging at least once (180 miles).

So far my X100 D has been much better. I’m getting closer to 85 to 95% of the rated miles without changing my driving habits. I don’t know if the difference is due to 75 vs 100 or due to improvements in who knows what over the last two years.

My guess with absolutely no data other than my own experience is that Tesla overinflates the mileage of the lower capacity batteries.

Teslafi probably has the aggregate data to confirm this but I know it’s probably quite a ways down on the feature request list. :(

based on what others have reported, the 75 definitely seems to get a lower percentage of rated range compared to the 100. i'm not sure if the capacity of the 75 battery is even actually 75kWh or not.

My biggest issue is first start... Goes down like 3 miles in the first 1 mile drive lol

It's hot here this time of year. With the inside cooking at over 100 degree's it's not uncommon to see a spike in energy consumption with our X until the A/C had a change to cool. After that, it levels off.

On a return trip from St. Louis to Chicago going 70 MPH, 91F outside temp with A/C on I averaging 259 wh/mi for a good stretch. That's almost 3 miles a 1%. It's a spectrum, I get it, and this is on the better side. But, I'm satisfied with numbers like that and don't feel mislead. Guess... your milage may vary.

IMG_0380.jpg

My average consumption over the first 8K miles has been a whopping 438 Wh/mile (2018 X 75D). It certainly hauls through a lot of battery on short fast trips, but does much better on longer haul journeys where range actually matters to me. I can average around 330-350 Wh/mile on a long trip in summer, so that's about 200 miles max range. It's enough for me and I was fully aware of it before I bought the X. It's a big heavy beast of a car and amazes me how far it can actually travel on electric power! Who'd have thought a 7 seater SUV with a sub 5 sec 0-60 would have a 200 mile electric range 10 years ago?

We're getting 341 Whr/mi on our X 100D delivered in June, a combination of urban and road trips.

Our S 100D, with 25K miles, is averaging 319. Both are below the EPA rated range prediction, though much closer than we were seeing with our S P85, which often got only 70% of range at highway speeds on road trips.

• Informative
Reactions: Sonic_78
On the daily average of 287 wh/mi that's equivalent to 260 mile range from full charge. And my lifetime average of 298 wh/mi nets me 250 mile range from full charge on average. I suspect that'll decrease during winter, but nonetheless it's not outrageously misleading for a X75D (in my case).

IMG_0479.jpg