Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone hate the battery consumption on the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a Tesla 3 now (considering offering it for trade toward an X) but I have had 4 Tesla X 2 were 90D and 2 were P90D. I love the X but my only beef is with the battery consumption. I feel like even with the 20" wheels and not the 22s (I have had both) it feels like its 20 miles of driving eating 33 miles of battery. I do sometimes drive a lot errands far from my house and supercharging (I guess that will change since the GF is moving closer to me).

Anyway, who else is feeling like the S or 3 is a better choice to the X due to the low range / consumption on the x? I cant afford the 100D I don't think and it seems like used there are way more 90d available then anything.

My last 2 P90D X had a range full 100% of 230 miles. Love to see that be a real 230 or even 250 miles.

I think it is your driving. My wife has a X 75D and her lifetime energy usage is 348 Wh per mile. I drove it for 2 weeks to work when she was away from home. Added about 1200 miles and my average was 298 Wh per mile. With my average, I am getting the FULL range of the X. My son always tell me.."Papa, you drive so much slower than Mama."

My current car has a 0 to 60 of over 11 sec.... :) But I have a M3 AWD on order.

it feels like its 20 miles of driving eating 33 miles of battery

I fend it best not to think of battery units as length. A bigger, heavier vehicle is going to need more power to go a particular distance relative to a smaller, lighter vehicle. Accelerating quickly eats a lot more power. Driving faster eats more power. It's a balance.

My largest road trip so far: 5,351.5 miles. 1,841.4kWh. 344 Wh/mi -- this was fine. A three hour sit was pretty long for us, so stopping more than that wasn't ever an issue (though I was a little stressed about stopping at places where we weren't charging a couple times).

I have a X75D and we just did round trip from Chicago to Milwaukee for the WI State Fair. Nearly 3 hours of driving on a single charge. 40% up and 40% back. I use battery % not rated miles for range. We drove at 70MPH most of the way with A/C on. That's a lot of driving. The range is okay in my book.

Reactions: jboy210
Model 3 is definitely more efficient than S/X. However, I don't hate the range on X at all. I came from a X60D software updated to 75D, and then to a X100D and I had been fine all the time. It really depends on your driving style and conditions. With a lot of local driving running errands the range is definitely horrible, but then I'd be daily charging at home so it's a non issue.

Model 3 is definitely more efficient than S/X. However, I don't hate the range on X at all. I came from a X60D software updated to 75D, and then to a X100D and I had been fine all the time. It really depends on your driving style and conditions. With a lot of local driving running errands the range is definitely horrible, but then I'd be daily charging at home so it's a non issue.

X100D is way higher range than the 90 and I dont drive fast. But I do a lot of highway driving

I'll let you know next winter. ;) I drove a Model S 85 through 5 Canadian winters, and it does take a hit in the cold (not as bad as many would have you believe). Got my X 100D at the end of March, so only have "nice weather" experience with it thus far. It does use a bit more juice than my S did, but that is made up for the bigger, new battery. After 100,000 miles, my S 85 had degraded to about the equivalent of a 75.

Hi, I have a Tesla 3 now (considering offering it for trade toward an X) but I have had 4 Tesla X 2 were 90D and 2 were P90D. I love the X but my only beef is with the battery consumption. I feel like even with the 20" wheels and not the 22s (I have had both) it feels like its 20 miles of driving eating 33 miles of battery. I do sometimes drive a lot errands far from my house and supercharging (I guess that will change since the GF is moving closer to me).

Anyway, who else is feeling like the S or 3 is a better choice to the X due to the low range / consumption on the x? I cant afford the 100D I don't think and it seems like used there are way more 90d available then anything.

My last 2 P90D X had a range full 100% of 230 miles. Love to see that be a real 230 or even 250 miles.

Take a big rock and a little rock. Which one can you through further, the little one of course.
The Model X is just a bigger and heavier car, that's it advantage. It takes more energy to move it around.
Take a look at the Tesla Semi, for some reason I really don't expect that it will be getting 250 w/hr. Maybe more like 25 w/hr or even worse.

The bigger the car, the more energy it takes to move it.

Take a big rock and a little rock. Which one can you through further, the little one of course.
The Model X is just a bigger and heavier car, that's it advantage. It takes more energy to move it around.
Take a look at the Tesla Semi, for some reason I really don't expect that it will be getting 250 w/hr. Maybe more like 25 w/hr or even worse.

The bigger the car, the more energy it takes to move it.

Makes sense and its even worse with the 22s on the P models. I have had two D and two PD

I was fortunate enough last year to have a Model X P100DL as a loaner for two solid months. I put 4000+ miles on it while I had it. (Long story, documented elsewhere on TMC).

But in response to the thread title... I found the X to be an "electron guzzler." Whereas my S would get high 300Wh/mi on hilly interstates, the X got in the 500's. Even just toodling around town, I got a substantially higher Wh/mi average with the X. Really turned me off to it. That and other things like the pesky front doors opening and closing on their own, or not opening at all, made me think geez, $180K car this buggy, not for me. I prefer the S.