TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does anyone have a Model X MCU2 Wiring Diagram?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by sparkles, Jun 10, 2018.

1. sparkles

sparkles Member

I am planning an aftermarket audio upgrade for my 2018 Model X with MCU2 (base audio system) and was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram that would help me figure out which wires to tap into behind the MCU2.
    I want to tap the front left and right as well as the rear left and right to send through a JL Audio Fix 86 to send “clean”signal to a 5 channel amp.
    I realize it’s possible to open everything up and trace the lines, but hoping to cover all the bases before I have a shop open up the dash.
    Thank you very much in advance!

2. sparkles

sparkles Member

I was able to get a hold of an old 2014 Model S Wiring Diagram / Connector list and figured out how to decode the diagrams and connector model numbers and such. I'm pretty excited about that part, but based on other forum thread (2017 Model S front speaker wire colors), it seems that at the very least, the wiring colors have changed over the years even on the Model S (2014 vs 2017). For example, speaker wire colors differences from 2014 Manual vs 2017 report by TMC user t0mmyr:

All these channels were located on a gray 10-pin connector called "X426" which is a Molex part #: 31372-1100

Front Left Woofer
    Positive - 2014 - White (Pin #3) vs 2017 - Blue/White
    Negative - 2014 - White/ Black (Pin #4) vs 2017 - Blue

FL Tweeter in 2014 - Positive: Tan / Negative: Tan/Black
    - tweeter on same channel as woofer on base audio

Front Right Woofer
    Positive - 2014 - Gray (Pin #1) vs 2017 - Green/White
    Negative - 2014 - Gray/Black (Pin #2) vs 2017 - Green

FR Tweeter in 2014 was Positive: Brown / Negative: Brown/Black
    - tweeter on same channel as woofer on base audio

Rear Left Woofer
    Positive - 2014 - Violet (Pin #9) vs 2017 - Red/White
    Negative - 2014 - Violet/Black (Pin#10) vs 2017 - Gray

Rear Right Woofer
    Positive - 2014 - Dark Green (Pin #5) vs 2017 - Red
    Negative - 2014 - Dark Green/Black (Pin #6) vs 2017 - Red/Black

Center dash 3" speaker comes from the black 10-pin connector called "X425", which is a Molex part # 31372-1000

Center Dash Speaker
    Positive - 2014 - Pink (Pin #5)
    Negative - 2014 - Pink/Black (Pin #6)

If I can get a hold of the 2018 Model X Wiring Diagram, I would be happy to decode and document everything.
    Thank you!

3. sparkles

sparkles Member

Bump. I am trying to create a harness that would replace the existing factory harness (gray molex).
    This would allow you to swap back to a stock speaker setup without any modifications behind the dash.

Thank you!

• Like x 1
  4. sparkles

sparkles Member

Please PM me if you can get your hands on this. Willing to venmo or paypal - send me ab offer. Thanks!

5. sparkles

sparkles Member

After several days of searching I was able to get my hands on the diagram.
    Since this took a decent amount of effort to find, I thought I would post my findings for others to reference in the future.
    For anyone with a 2018 Model X base package / new MCU2, here is a summary of the wiring:

Front Center Speaker on Center of Dash
    On the black 10-pin connector
    Positive Pin 5 Black/White
    Negative Pin 6 White

Front Right Tweeter on A Pillar
    On the gray 10-pin connector
    Positive Pin 1 Brown/White
    Negative Pin 2 Brown

Front Right Woofer on Door
    Positive Pin 1 Green/White
    Negative Pin 2 Green

Front Left Tweeter on A Pillar
    Positive Pin 3 Black/White
    Negative Pin 4 White

Front Left Woofer on Door
    Positive Pin 3 Blue/White
    Negative Pin 4 Blue

Rear Right Woofer / Tweeter (Tesla has a Crossover down the line that splits)
    Positive Pin 5 Red
    Negative Pin 6 Blue

Rear Left Woofer / Tweeter (Tesla has a Crossover down the line that splits)
    Positive Pin 9 Red
    Negative Pin 10 Gray

Contrary to other older MCU wiring diagrams I have seen, this one seems to split the speaker level outputs across the Black and Gray connectors. Front channels are split at the factory amp for Tweeter / Woofer, so you may need to do channel summing (ie. use a JL Audio Fix 86 or similar) to get the full range signal to the aftermarket amp or DSP

Since the rear speakers have a factory crossover (component speakers), you should expect a somewhat full range signal when you tap right near the back of the MCU.

I am going to be tapping all those lines and inputting them into a JL Fix 86 to ensure I have a clean signal going to my aftermarket JL amp with integrated DSP.

On another note, the gray and black connectors are actually accessible (I believe you can also disconnect them) from the bottom of the MCU when you remove the factory cubby by pushing down and sliding back.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
    Thanks

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  6. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Just don't try listening to slacker (streaming tab in the media UI). They cap bitrate at 40kbps for those penny-pinchers that did not pay for the premium package. Also as an additional punishment, they will restart your slacker audio stream every time the screen wakes up.

7. sparkles

sparkles Member

Finally finished the plug and play harness for my aftermarket audio project.

It took a lot a lot more effort than I imagined, but it should provide speaker-level audio out signal to the DSP (6 channels + accessory turn-on) without needing to cut any factory wires. This way I can go back to a stock setup in the future if I need to sell my car.

Attached is a photo of the finished product.

If anyone else is interested in doing this, pm me

Thanks

Attached Files:

• Like x 3