Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have a S90 (RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago my 70D was totaled by an oblivious semi truck driver. I loved the car, but wouldn’t mind more range. I found a RWD 90 which has very little info in the Tesla wikis. From what I can tell, they were only available for a short period in late 2015 and Jan 2016. I don’t know range, 0-60, or common problems. Does anyone have any experience with these and insight they’d be willing to share?

It should be similar to an S85 with more range. It could even be an original S85 that was upgraded to 90 if it had a battery failure - they don't make 85s any more so replacements are 90kwh.

If it's an early S90 it probably has an earlier v1 or v2 pack that rapidly degraded. Be sure to look at range to see how much it retained - until the tesla batterygate scandal downgraded a lot of other battery types, the early 90 packs were the worst for long term range retention. Early 90s lost range quickly and would be supercharger throttled (like most other early packs are now being intentionally limited as well) but unlike a software downgraded 75 or 85 the 90 packs lost their range permanently and won't get it back from a class action settlement.

It should be similar to an S85 with more range. It could even be an original S85 that was upgraded to 90 if it had a battery failure - they don't make 85s any more so replacements are 90kwh.

If it's an early S90 it probably has an earlier v1 or v2 pack that rapidly degraded. Be sure to look at range to see how much it retained - until the tesla batterygate scandal downgraded a lot of other battery types, the early 90 packs were the worst for long term range retention. Early 90s lost range quickly and would be supercharger throttled (like most other early packs are now being intentionally limited as well) but unlike a software downgraded 75 or 85 the 90 packs lost their range permanently and won't get it back from a class action settlement.

That makes sense. Where is the line where the 90's have better packs? There's a few 90Ds I am looking at as well.