TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does anyone have a Saleen Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 2Ts4me, Apr 2, 2015.

1. 2Ts4me

2Ts4me Member

The car looks AWESOME! Would really like to get the exterior kit but Saleen is in serious financial trouble. I'd like to chat with someone that has one and see how the body panels fit.

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

doubt it. I'm pretty sure that any modifications to the drive unit by saleen would void your Tesla warranty for the drive unit anyway. so IMO i'd stay very far away...especially when the company (saleen) is going under.

3. krisg81

krisg81 Member

This.

i doubt anyone actually bought one. When the P85D was announced it killed them and their hack job that resulted in no performance gain, and just a whiney gear box. The project was a complete joke, a $70K+ package with just a gaudy appearance kit and interior bling job. Best part was custom coilover suspension, but not a big deal because air and coil suspension works fine. It was a failed project to begin with, IMO.

4. Beckler

Beckler Member

I think the best part looks-wise was how they got rid of the front nose cone - that useless old thing damages what is otherwise spectacular aesthetics on the model S. It's especially annoying because it means Tesla is purposely trying to give it a traditional car grille-look, which makes zero sense imo.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Disagree. I'm with the crowd that sees Valdemort in the Saleen and finds it distasteful.

As for Tesla's motivation, I disagree. I think they see it as much cheaper to replace plastic when the bumper is damaged.

6. krisg81

krisg81 Member

One of my favorite things about the Model S, and its performance variants- is the fact it looks very tasteful and not gaudy with crazy spoilers, fins, vents, etc etc like the M and AMG performance variants. The Saleen version only riced out the car to make it look faster, but didn't actually make it faster. That was a huge FAIL in my book.

7. Beckler

Beckler Member

Well it doesn't need to be black w/chrome trim then! They really have to be going for that look then, which is fine - I just hate it. :)

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

While the interior/exterior looks didn't do much for me, the gear whine HORRIFIED me! I think they completely bastardized the car by doing that. One of the most compelling things for me about a Tesla is the completely silent and drama-free way that it can rocket off. If I wanted that kind of noise, I'd buy '76 Corolla (or any other) with a bad tranny and diff.

Apologies for the snippiness.

9. inductionpowered

I can see why some people would like the Saleen kit from a cosmetic perspective. It's a different take on the aesthetics of the vehicle

I think a good alternative to the Saleen kit is RevoZport's R-Centric body kit. PM me if you want details, as I don't know if I can post the link here.

10. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Wonder how it compares to the additional whine on the D cars.

11. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

I learned of one person in the San Diego area that got one.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If you have a means to contact this person and feel comfortable doing so, I'd love to have him/her join TMC and interact with the community. Would be neat to hear an owner's perspective of Saleen's product.

13. fadkar

fadkar Member

Doesn't even compare. It's much louder. Our P85D only has a slight whine during acceleration but that's about it!

14. krisg81

krisg81 Member

Much louder/annoying whine, as demonstrated here (starts at 7:05)

[video]https://youtu.be/mWdatUMNmTI?t=7m05s[/video]

15. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Disagree. Saleen front fascia is much better looking.

If Tesla wanted a cheap front replacement and not a fuax grill they would have made the nosecone body color.

Anyone who sees the nosecone and says it is not a fuax grill is being intellectually dishonest.

16. evme

evme Member

Personally, I prefer the original Tesla look over the Saleen look, but if anyone wants it, from my understanding Saleen is open to partial modifications. So you can change the bumper and a few other cosmetic stuff without voiding the warranty on the drive unit and other core stuff.

17. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    Steve Saleen took me in the R&D car around the track a few times and I was impressed with the handling. The whole idea was to offer a track ready car. If I recall well, Steve wanted a car that wouldn't overheat and cripple output after the first flat out round. As for tastes and looks, that is a subjective thing.

18. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

That is HORRIBLE. Hilarious they think that's a plus!

19. krisg81

krisg81 Member

Seriously... who would want your car sounding like a loud RC car?? Imagine a long drive in that thing.

20. Noone

Noone Member

Strange. Very strange. And you have to pay extra for that? No wonder they are going out of business. Their website doesn't show Tesla based cars anymore...