Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have data on how quickly their Black Model 3 cools while in the sun >80F?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pacmanbrodude

2015 Model S, 2018 Model 3, 16.8kW Solar, 3PW+
Nov 13, 2015
Baltimore MD
My car is at the service center right now for this issue. They reportedly fixed it. Before going to pick it up, I turned the AC on LOW. The AC mode (I'm reasonably certain) was set to AUTO and measured the temperature ever 2 minutes. Clearly it's not fixed. After 20 minutes, the interior temperature only dropped to 79F (from 120F). Outdoor temp, 85F. Mostly sunny, a little bit of overcast.

Time/battery%/temp
3:43pm @ 58% 120F set to 68F
3:45 @ 57% 97F set to LOW
3:47 @ 57% 89F
3:49 @ 57% 87F
3:51 @ 56% 85F
3:53 @ 56% 83F
3:55 @ 56% 82F
3:57 @ 56% 81F
3:59 @ 55% 80F
4:01 @ 55% 80F
4:03 @ 54% 79F

I have a 2018 Pre-heatpump Black Model 3.

Does anyone have some tangible data measurements on how quickly their car cools down, or feel like they're suffering this problem too? Looking for some validation. I know I have everything against me right now running the AC in park in the sun with a black car, but these numbers still seem way low. Car has always had this problem, and coming up on the 4 year warranty.

I found this video measuring 111F -> 68F in just over 4 minutes, but not sure if it was in the sun or not. I'm assuming @ 111F it probably was in the sun.

Last edited:
My car is at the service center right now for this issue. They reportedly fixed it. Before going to pick it up, I turned the AC on LOW and measured the temperature ever 2 minutes. Clearly it's not fixed. After 20 minutes, the interior temperature only dropped to 79F (from 120F).

Time/battery%/temp
3:43pm @ 58% 120F set to 68F
3:45 @ 57% 97F set to LOW
3:47 @ 57% 89F
3:49 @ 57% 87F
3:51 @ 56% 85F
3:53 @ 56% 83F
3:55 @ 56% 82F
3:57 @ 56% 81F
3:59 @ 55% 80F
4:01 @ 55% 80F
4:03 @ 54% 79F

Does anyone have some tangible data measurements on how quickly their car cools down, or feel like they're suffering this problem too? Looking for some validation. I know I have everything against me right now running the AC in park in the sun with a black car, but these numbers still seem way low. Car has always had this problem, and coming up on the 4 year warranty.

I found this video measuring 111F -> 68F in just over 4 minutes, but not sure if it was in the sun or not. I'm assuming @ 111F it probably was in the sun.

If my car was actually in the sun (here in southern california) right now where I am, it would be a lot hotter than 111 degrees inside. Its 93 outside, and it would likely be 130-140 or even hotter inside.

To answer your question though, no I dont have any data, but I do know that it has never taken my model 3 longer than about 10 minutes to get to its set temp of 72 degrees (or at least the fan spin down to almost quiet) when its been parked in the sun. I havent ever had it take 20 minutes to cool from 140 degrees to my set temp of 72 degrees (my summer auto setting).

My car is also blue, not black, but I dont think that would make the difference you are seeing.

I always use "auto" though.

EDIT: per @GtiMart 's post, this is going to matter on which cooling technology one has. Mine is a 2018.

A little more context might help, what was the outdoor temperature and conditions like (sunny, overcast, etc)? I live in Illinois and when its very sunny and in the 90s, it will get to 135+°F inside, but I feel like 5-7 minutes is typically what it takes to get down to 70°F. I have a 2022 with heat pump for reference, although I'm not sure how much that matters in this case.

I think there are some settings that the mobile app cannot change. Inside your car, do you use "AUTO" as your setting or do you tweak all the configuration, output, recirculate etc? I wonder how the mobile app sets it since you can only change the temperature. I would definitely try it out with AUTO in the car.
EDIT: And try targeting a real reasonable temperature instead of LOW. I agree that shouldn't be it but I suggest testing it as we all typically use it, if you want to compare.

I think there are some settings that the mobile app cannot change. Inside your car, do you use "AUTO" as your setting or do you tweak all the configuration, output, recirculate etc? I wonder how the mobile app sets it since you can only change the temperature. I would definitely try it out with AUTO in the car.
I've wondered this myself, never enough to test it though. I want to say if you use the app it defaults to automatic, loosely based on remembering one time i had it set to A/C off before using it. I could be totally wrong though.

Thank you, good point. I cannot confirm since the car is in the lot, but I believe the car AC is currently set to AUTO. That's where it was when I left it with them. I'm sure they would use AUTO in their diagnosing of the issue too.

EDIT: And try targeting a real reasonable temperature instead of LOW. I agree that shouldn't be it but I suggest testing it as we all typically use it, if you want to compare.
That does seem like it shouldn't be the problem, but hey I'm running another test now anyway.

Test 2
Outside Temperature 87.8 °F
Cabin Set to 68F
5:04pm 108F start
5:06pm 92F
5:08pm 83F
5:10pm 80F
5:12pm 79F
5:14pm 78F
5:16pm 77F
5:18pm 76F
5:20pm 76F
5:22pm 76F
5:24pm 75F
20 minutes, 108F - 75F (set temp never reached)

Last edited:
For comparison, my white 2022 model 3

Exterior 83° partly sunny
4:14 105°
4:17 75°
4:19 70° - set point on auto
Test 2
Outside Temperature 87.8 °F
Cabin Set to 68F
5:04pm 108F start
5:06pm 92F
5:08pm 83F
5:10pm 80F
5:12pm 79F
5:14pm 78F
5:16pm 77F
5:18pm 76F
5:20pm 76F
5:22pm 76F
5:24pm 75F
20 minutes, 108F - 75F (set temp never reached)
😭

Hey, for fun... I believe some people have had problems with the positioning of the cabin temp sensor, it's blocked by the flap you open to access the cell phone charging location on tha generation of center console. Can you try closing that door, assuming it's open, and test again?

Hey that's a thought. I did replace the stock micro-usb (or USB-C?) phone charger/holder with a custom wireless charger one. The door is most likely open. I'll have to report back tomorrow on that one, assuming the service center doesn't respond to my message about whether or not I should leave the car there another day after the service was completed...

However, temperature readouts feel pretty accurate. There was a particular drive (TeslaMate link) where the car never got below 78F on a 102F day (even with literally 50 minutes of preconditioning) and I felt like I was near sweating. I could also grab a digital thermometer, though that'll require me sitting in the car taking measurements. It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hey, for fun... I believe some people have had problems with the positioning of the cabin temp sensor, it's blocked by the flap you open to access the cell phone charging location on tha generation of center console. Can you try closing that door, assuming it's open, and test again?

I dont think I have ever closed that door on my 2018 model 3 console 🤣

Someone else also mentioned tint... I have 3m Crystalline tint all around on my car (20% front and rear windows, 20% back window, 20% glass roof). I only mention it because I mentioned my relative cooling time earlier in the thread.

The AC in our 2018 Model 3 (blue with white interior) was occasionally failing to cool the car properly, when set on Auto. It wasn't increasing the fan speed as much as necessary. I live in south FL. I had the car serviced, and they replaced a control unit (low voltage controller, left), which resolved the issue, under warranty.