Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have definitive written communication confirming that the Mobile Charging Connector change will affect only new orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We put a key on your gas cap. You can buy a key at our store for $200, but we're out now. The gas station you go to have keys and will unlock your gas tank if you need to use their pumps and pay their price. Oh, your gas station doesn't have a key? Relax, you can back order a key anytime. Most of our customers take their cars to public gas stations anyway. Oh, that camping mode on the Model Y is there so you can tell your friends it's compatible with camping and is a real SUV! What are you complaining about?
Don't forget the Homelink for an extra $325 and the lumbar support, which used to come included back in 2020. But statistics i guess. 😒

Don't forget the Homelink for an extra $325 and the lumbar support, which used to come included back in 2020. But statistics i guess. 😒
People keep bringing up the Homelink. More and more, I am seeing this as an add on with new cars. If you look at an EV6 as an example, if you order one, the auto dim rear view mirror with Homelink costs $325 extra. Included rear view mirror does not have Homelink. For the ID4, it’s $375 extra.

Reactions: xyeahtony
People keep bringing up the Homelink. More and more, I am seeing this as an add on with new cars. If you look at an EV6 as an example, if you order one, the auto dim rear view mirror with Homelink costs $325 extra. Included rear view mirror does not have Homelink. For the ID4, it’s $375 extra.
This mostly establishes a trend. Elon keeps taking stuff away from car, citing "statistics", but the prices keep increasing. Now he may take away the mobile chargers. The thing you need for your car to actually work.

Reactions: Aviateur17
While it would be nice to have free homelink, I've got a garage door opener at my house. What I don't have, if the MC is not included, is a way to charge at my house! FFS. Already spent about a grand to have a 14-50 installed. Grrrr

That happens all the time, id be checking daily.
If I were running the company, and this change was made requiring an additional order to receive one, I would be sending out an email or communication to those with existing orders with one reserved for say two weeks or something before releasing it. Rather than making someone who is paid my company money to order a vehicle hang out on the site like it’s eBay or something trying to find a part they might need if that was the way they configured their home charging to charge their vehicle.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
I have a MYP, order date 4/1/22 with an EDD 6/11-7/22. My house has NEMA 6-20 and 10-30 outlets in the garage right where they need to be for the connecting cable to attach to the charge port on the car. I already have the adapter plugs from the Tesla webpage for these outlets. I don’t have the cable and was relying on the web page which said i would get it with the car. When i read yesterday that this would no longer be the case and the cables were out of stock, i panicked. Im getting this car so i can charge it at home and not have to face the homeless population every time i gas up here in San Diego. I called Tesla this morning and left a message saying I absolutely had to get a charging cable with the car otherwise I would not take delivery of it or would postpone it until the cable was available. Tesla called back leaving a message saying that I should not worry because I would be able to purchase a cable when the car was delivered. So, I have stopped worrying and now look forward to getting the car as soon as possible.
I will cost me a few hundred more, but it will happen.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9142.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9142.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 73
I see a bunch of guesses based on the series of Tweets, but nothing definitive. And as I am waiting on my order I placed in November, and had a 14-50 plug installed in reliance on the list of included equipment at my reserved price, as that rate of charging is all I will need, I would like to know.

Whether this is a good decision for Tesla moving forward is irrelevant to this thread, as the thread is for people who have already ordered, and were counting on using the included charger at home, because it worked for them.

Any posts on why we should have chosen a Tesla wall charger, or tales of how you never used your Mobile charger, are unhelpful and unwelcome. This thread is just to confirm what is going on with already existing orders placed before this announced change.

Here is a cross-post from the Plaid forum... ;)

1650342802396.png
1650342981495.png

Here is a cross-post from the Plaid forum... ;)

View attachment 795225 View attachment 795226

On the M3RWD thread, a lot of folks are echoing the same confirmation, stated by @FlatSix911, that any purchases made prior to the cutoff date will include the mobile connector

Reactions: FlatSix911
I have a MYP, order date 4/1/22 with an EDD 6/11-7/22. My house has NEMA 6-20 and 10-30 outlets in the garage right where they need to be for the connecting cable to attach to the charge port on the car. I already have the adapter plugs from the Tesla webpage for these outlets. I don’t have the cable and was relying on the web page which said i would get it with the car. When i read yesterday that this would no longer be the case and the cables were out of stock, i panicked. Im getting this car so i can charge it at home and not have to face the homeless population every time i gas up here in San Diego. I called Tesla this morning and left a message saying I absolutely had to get a charging cable with the car otherwise I would not take delivery of it or would postpone it until the cable was available. Tesla called back leaving a message saying that I should not worry because I would be able to purchase a cable when the car was delivered. So, I have stopped worrying and now look forward to getting the car as soon as possible.
I will cost me a few hundred more, but it will happen.
Even if you don't receive it, you could use Supercharger | Tesla temporarily or I'm sure someone in SD can temporarily loan you a gen 2 mobile connector or a gen 1 with a 10-30 adapter or even a CHAdeMO Adapter to use CHAdeMO DC FCs (slower than Superchargers though)

Worst case is you could buy a 10-30 or 6-20 compatible J1772 EVSE. Don't buy a crap brand. See Charge Port Meltdown, Charge Port Meltdown. TurboCord Dual 120/240V Plug-In EV Charger can do 6-20 and is a reputable brand. But, for a Tesla, if you could get the mobile connector for $200, I'd rather spend spend $200 on Tesla's.

Also, you could use PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge to find opportunity J1772 (use your J1772 adapter) and Destination Charging | Tesla to opportunity charge at places where you might be for awhile anyway.

Even if you don't receive it, you could use Supercharger | Tesla temporarily or I'm sure someone in SD can temporarily loan you a gen 2 mobile connector or a gen 1 with a 10-30 adapter or even a CHAdeMO Adapter to use CHAdeMO DC FCs (slower than Superchargers though)

Worst case is you could buy a 10-30 or 6-20 compatible J1772 EVSE. Don't buy a crap brand. See Charge Port Meltdown, Charge Port Meltdown. TurboCord Dual 120/240V Plug-In EV Charger can do 6-20 and is a reputable brand. But, for a Tesla, if you could get the mobile connector for $200, I'd rather spend spend $200 on Tesla's.

Also, you could use PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge to find opportunity J1772 (use your J1772 adapter) and Destination Charging | Tesla to opportunity charge at places where you might be for awhile anyway.
No Tesla superchargers anywhere near me in Sun Valley, Idaho. Closest one is Twin Falls, Idaho, about 1.5 hours away at normal highway speed. There are a couple ChargePoint chargers in Hailey (where I really live, 12 miles south of Sun Valley and Ketchum). A Tesla Destination charger in Bellevue, ID, about 6 miles away, and a couple Tesla Destination chargers up in Ketchum and Sun Valley at the Knob HIll Inn in Ketchum, and the resort in Sun Valley. And there apparently are a couple SemaConnect chargers on the map I had not seen before. Had not heard about those.

Still, home charging is my plan for around here. Looking like I will be fine for now, and will get my cable. If I don’t, I will borrow my neighbor’s as he has a Wall Connector installed, and order the Tesla one immediately. But hoping, and based on what folks are posting, believing, that I will actually get my cable that was listed as included equipment when I ordered.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGOwner

those are not options. I want to charge at home with a Tesla cord. I wont take delivery unless i see the cord in the car.

We took delivery today(20Apr) of our MYLR in Portland, Or. It came with a charger cable. There were no mudflaps or rear fender flare ppf but I was told they would be installed when available for free. My inspection was cursory, less than 10 minutes, but so far I am happy. Tomorrow I will drive it home, 4 hours away, so I will be wiser then.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
We took delivery today(20Apr) of our MYLR in Portland, Or. It came with a charger cable. There were no mudflaps or rear fender flare ppf but I was told they would be installed when available for free. My inspection was cursory, less than 10 minutes, but so far I am happy. Tomorrow I will drive it home, 4 hours away, so I will be wiser then.
Is the charger cable it came with the Gen 2 type which will allow using different NEMA adapters?

Everyone has compared this to Apple not including the power adapter anymore. Well, here is an interesting article. Its from Brazil, but still Apple got sued and lost for not providing.

If they sell 1 million cars that's a $1 billion fine!