Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have the S85D yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dual motors seem to cause range decrease or has something changed?

I'm pretty sure the P85D should decrease and the (S)85D should increase on highway at least, as the (S)85D should be using the front motor alone at steady highway speeds. Well, that is what my Tesla sales rep told me anyways, but only time will tell.

I'm pretty sure the P85D should decrease and the (S)85D should increase on highway at least, as the (S)85D should be using the front motor alone at steady highway speeds. Well, that is what my Tesla sales rep told me anyways, but only time will tell.

I believe P85D also uses only front motor while cruising. The idea was to increase range but that has not happened at least yet (because torque sleep does not work as expected?).

I believe P85D also uses only front motor while cruising. The idea was to increase range but that has not happened at least yet (because torque sleep does not work as expected?).

Yes, but it still has the bigger heavier rear motor with the tall gearing. Every part you have to turn adds a little rolling resistance, and a sleeping motor is still connected and spinning.

Thus, the P85D inherently has more losses than the prior cars - which Tesla plans to offset by more efficient motor operation at freeway speeds once torque sleep is in place.

The S85D, on the other hand, has two of the new small/light/short gearing motors. We don't know anything specific, but it is likely that these have substantially lower losses than the original rear motor - in fact, it is fairly likely that the S85D has lower overall losses with the two motors than the single motor cars.

Along with that, they will get the benefit of the more efficient freeway power delivery, which should give the S-D car a substantial range improvement over any of the prior cars. I think.
Walter

bresers dashboard apparently still showing "late february". The earliest I remember having heard.

As far as I know I'm the only person with an 85D showing in production (since January 17th and at least since Friday I was in paint). I believe 85D production for marketing vehicles (e.g demonstrator vehicles) was slated to start last week. But it seems that things keep getting pushed back. Since early January my production start date was moved back 3 weeks. However, despite that I actually went into production unexpectedly earlier than the earliest date I'd ever been given. So these changes leave me a bit fuzzy on what to expect them to do, things certainly have played out differently than I'd expected them to so far. But here are my best guesses based on what I have been seeing so far.

I would not expect that customer deliveries would happen until after the first marketing vehicles show up at stores. The first P85D vehicles started turning up at stores a few weeks before they expected to start delivering to customers (which ultimately got delayed). So until you start seeing people talk about taking test drives I wouldn't expect to see very many customer deliveries.

I would expect that to happen sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. So I'd expect to see customer deliveries no earlier than 3 weeks from now. There might be a handful of deliveries that get out earlier than that, much as there were a couple of well known early P85D deliveries. But those would be the exceptions and generally would be West Coast deliveries with short (or nonexistent) shipping times. All of this is of course obviously very subject to change if they run into problems like they did with the P85D.

I'd anticipate that the torque sleep software will be delivered with or very shortly after 85D deliveries begin. I'm not clear on if the torque sleep software is shared with the P85D or a completely separate implementation for the 85D. Given the very different motor setup (2 small vs large rear and small front) for the 85D vs the P85D, I'm skeptical that they will be shared implementations. But they could just be wanting to push the torque sleep software for both Dual motor setups at the same time to avoid any confusion over which vehicles have it. I'm also skeptical of them hitting their end of the month promise for the P85D software.

As such early 85D deliveries might not have as good of efficiency as we would expect. But I can't see them letting that remain that way for long. If 85D's start showing up with reduced range that is quickly going to blow up into a problem for them. So I think the 85D will have the performance currently listed on the EPA site or better.

I'm supposed to get into production next week, and it says "Late Feb" on the website. I'm still on the fence whether I'll do financing or cash so I guess I better make up my mind ! :) Other than that I think I'm all set and ready for her.

Ordered S85D on October 10 and date has moved from late Jan to currently a generic "March". Sales mgr last weekend told me their system should it is scheduled to finish the production line on Feb 16. Since I am on East Coast am assuming I will take delivery in first two weeks of March?!? I am vin 69,276.

Drove a P85D last weekend and had me thinking about upgrading. But with $20k differential better range on S85D, and additional delay if I switch now, I've decided to stay put with my existing order.