Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone hear the COWBELL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just can't consider it "luxury" since it's in a <$30k Kia from 2011 though

But it's not in an Audi from 2015.

I still think it has a lot to do with range.

I don't live in the South, so I can probably survive without it. The only way I would even consider spending the money on cooled seats is if Tesla decided to "bundle", which I'm hoping they avoid....but if they're going for ease of production, we should all be prepared to be bundled.........

But it's not in an Audi from 2015.

I still think it has a lot to do with range.

I don't live in the South, so I can probably survive without it. The only way I would even consider spending the money on cooled seats is if Tesla decided to "bundle", which I'm hoping they avoid....but if they're going for ease of production, we should all be prepared to be bundled.........
They already bundle a few things, though not as drastically as regular car companies. I wouldn't be able to get the automatic rear liftgate on the Model S without getting the LED lighting. I would think cooled seats would come in the cold weather package and rename it climate package

Japan just said yes to mirrorless cars, and EU/US should be there in the next couple years. That will be too late for Model 3 owners. At least for the first batch (unfortunately). I'm sure by 2020, a good portion of cars will have cameras instead, and our Model 3s will all look outdated.

Japan Says Yes To Mirrorless Cars

I think you are optimistic about how fast something like this moves. This will not be on a "good portion" of cars anytime soon after it is approved. Think about how long back up cameras have been available on cars (since 1991) and that they are still not standard equipment on most models.

Something like this will initially be used as a technology showcase on the higher end models and then, over time, it will trickle down to lower end models as an option. Naturally it will arrive on the budget Korean cars before it shows up on BMW/Audi/Mercedes/GM.

A motorized mirror pod probably costs an auto manufacturer $20-$40. A regular rear view mirror is maybe $10-$20 on a higher end car (integrated compass, etc.). What do you think the high quality cameras that BMW shows and the special mirror are going to cost? $200, $300, $400? One thing is for sure, it will cost a heck-of-a lot more than what they are putting on cars all the way up to their $100,000 models today.

They already bundle a few things, though not as drastically as regular car companies. I wouldn't be able to get the automatic rear liftgate on the Model S without getting the LED lighting. I would think cooled seats would come in the cold weather package and rename it climate package

or since heated front seats(has and should continue to) come standard without having to buy a package...

maybe lump it into the "premium interior" package.